Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
Anyone have troubles removing the bottom of the legion 5? Ive removed the 10 screws some how managed to pry the edges up until they’ve released (the side fan grill part was a pain) and im trying to lift up and the middle of the pan feels like it’s stuck on something, as if im missing a screw which I can’t see I am, any assistance?

model 15ACH6H

never mind got it, just took a rather worrying amount of persuasion pulling up and it came off

Caporegime
Anyone have troubles removing the bottom of the legion 5? Ive removed the 10 screws some how managed to pry the edges up until they’ve released (the side fan grill part was a pain) and im trying to lift up and the middle of the pan feels like it’s stuck on something, as if im missing a screw which I can’t see I am, any assistance?

model 15ACH6H

never mind got it, just took a rather worrying amount of persuasion pulling up and it came off

Was going to say be brave. Its a bit of a pain to get the grills off.

Soldato
Was going to say be brave. Its a bit of a pain to get the grills off.

The grill was the hardest part, for some reason the middle felt it was glued on, but stumped up the courage to just yank the thing up and off it popped, no clue what it was stuck on.

But hey ho new Samsung 980 pro 1tb installed and showing so I’ve done something right :)

Caporegime
The grill was the hardest part, for some reason the middle felt it was glued on, but stumped up the courage to just yank the thing up and off it popped, no clue what it was stuck on.

But hey ho new Samsung 980 pro 1tb installed and showing so I’ve done something right :)

Nice, it's a shame Zen 3 mobile only supports PCI-E Gen 3, I'm not sure why they chose that.

Associate
Hi there,

has anyone installed the bios gkcn46ww from 2021-11 yet and could please tell me if in quiet mode (blue power button) the 5 pro is completely quiet without any fan noise (on an idle desktop of course)? With bios gkcn36ww I read that the fan is always operating no matter how cold the components are. That's why I still use the bios gkcn34ww.

Associate
I found a bug in the Lenovo software (here on a 5 pro). In Windows 10 the "System Interface Foundation Service" prevents a x265 encoding software from starting. I can see the running process in the task manager, but it does not appear. When I stop the mentioned service it comes to the foreground. Unfortunately with this service disabled your custom key colors will not work after a restart. If you set the service to manual then the "Lenovo Fn and function keys service" sets it back to automatic. It is annoying, but most times I use the hibernation mode. When you stop this buggy Lenovo service after all Lenovo services have started once, then you can stop it and the function keys and the custom key colors still work. So keep that in mind if any software works wrong or does not work at all.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend a decent m.2 for under £100. Need a 1tb for storage as an addition to the main drive. Thanks

You have lots of choices, the 5 Pro doesn't support Gen 4 drives (but they work at Gen 3 speeds.

Best Gen 3 drives:

Samsung 970 Evo Plus
WD SN750
Crucial P5

All of which are often under your budget.

Associate
Hi all,

So I got my third L5P. Who knows my story, knows.

But question is, I am connecting L5P to external LG 27GN800-B and I am not sure how can I connect it to get G-Sync working. No luck through HDMI. Don`t understand why it wont work with HDMI 2.1 as Series X has no problems. But Series X has a AMD APU, so who knows.

Edit! Googled more, looks like left side USB-C port should work. Have to get USB-C to DP cable. Still waiting for confirmation from here, thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

So I got my third L5P. Who knows my story, knows.

But question is, I am connecting L5P to external LG 27GN800-B and I am not sure how can I connect it to get G-Sync working. No luck through HDMI. Don`t understand why it wont work with HDMI 2.1 as Series X has no problems. But Series X has a AMD APU, so who knows.

Edit! Googled more, looks like left side USB-C port should work. Have to get USB-C to DP cable. Still waiting for confirmation from here, thanks.

Left side USB C and the rear one both work.

Last edited:
Associate
Another question, maybe somebody finds some time.

Have you changed thermal pads for GPU and CPU? If yes, what thickness pads did you use? Original pads are way too thick and this results not enough pressure and contact with heatpipes. At least this is the case with CPU.

Surfed around, found this thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1401468-changing-thermal-paste-on-legion-5-pro/#comment-15193668

This confirmes my opinion about changing thermal paste on these laptops. Most of pastes are too runny.

Last edited:
Associate
Another question, maybe somebody finds some time.

Have you changed thermal pads for GPU and CPU? If yes, what thickness pads did you use? Original pads are way too thick and this results not enough pressure and contact with heatpipes. At least this is the case with CPU.

Surfed around, found this thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1401468-changing-thermal-paste-on-legion-5-pro/#comment-15193668

This confirmes my opinion about changing thermal paste on these laptops. Most of pastes are too runny.

It's not advised to replace the stock paste and pads. They use quite end stuff, the paste is also phase changing. Will be good for a couple of years.

This is the stuff they use: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/657895537057

Associate
Apologies if posted before, I have a L5P with RTX3070.

Has anyone found a fix for the restarting of the laptop when you close and open the lid. I know this is fixable if you select hybrid mode and wondered if there is anything else yet that works! Don't really want to run in hybrid mode all the time if it can be helped......

Slipperz

Associate
So, i'm thinking of getting a Legion 5 or 7 laptop.

it's to replace a yoga 2 pro that's 8 years old, and only now beginning to slow down for me.

i use fusion 360 mostly, and any games i play on the pc are bus and train simulators (i use the PS5 for other games like hitman, far cry etc),

Yes i know it's a gaming laptop... but as others have pointed out, that's just the name given to a powerful laptop, i will use the power to get faster rendering in F360, and stop the 3 minute waits to delete faces etc.

But which model to go for, budget £1700 or so.

i need at least a 2k QHD screen, as i'm kinda used to the QHD+/UHD of the yoga (even tho it's tiny at 13 inches... deffo want around a 16 inch screen on the next laptop)

i'm thinking the RTX 3060 will be more than enough GFX card for me, but wonder if i should get one with say 8GB ram and 256GB SSD, and buy 32GB of ram and a 1TB SSD to fit when i get it, or are memory and SSD prices similar to what lenovo charge for the 32GB / 1TB versions?

Really not a fan of lights in the vents etc... but i do like a white backlit keyboard, but not aversed to getting the 7 with the RGB lighting if it's the better deal and just turning them off as soon as i get it.

So i guess it's down to do i go for the 5 or 7, it seems the 5 pro is pretty hard to get, and this laptop will spend 90% of it's life sat on a hospital style bed table as i'm stuck in bed a lot with disabilities, the other 10% will be lugged in a suitcase to a hotel and used there for a day or 3.... so will be plugged in almost all the time.

Back
Top Bottom