OverClockers Twitchers' Thread

Soldato
Associate
Didn't think about that. :) Definitely wasn't planning to spend as much as the ones you linked. Ideally under £150, it's only for occasional use. Reason I asked was that we're out and about using the freebie binoculars from National Trust we got for signing up.

Second hand would be the way to go, to keep the costs down. The big three are Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. At your budget it might be worth looking through https://www.birdforum.net and their binocular section, there is a UK bargain thread https://www.birdforum.net/threads/u...fers-and-bargains.238235/page-11#post-4205389 here too.

Soldato
They've followed us around the garden for years waiting for us to finish digging so hand feeding wasn't too much of a step

(also I don't think many humans will walk around with mealworms just to do a Robin harm )

Are they the same ones? I don't think they live terriby long. Digging out the compost heaps theres usually a robin hanging around waiting for bugs but theres been none this year though I did spot one in the hedge later. There was a blackbird enjoying the compost spreading instead though, thats new.

Soldato
So I put up a bird box aimed at Robin's two years ago as they're always in my garden and it's never been used, but last month a pair of great **** have moved in and I can now hear lots of babies chirping loudly every time Mummy and Daddy great tit pop in to visit. Quite a lovely sound to hear, I just wish I'd gone for one of those camera set ups so I could watch them as I'd love to see them, but I shall be good and leave them well alone :).

Anyone else have some bird boxes on the go?

Soldato
Poor blackbird was still alive. When I tried to shoo it away, it ended up flying off with it.

Why would you shoo it away. Birds of prey have a very fine balance between energy and survival. Maybe not so much this time of year but that meal could be the difference between life and death of that bird

Soldato
Five Great Tit chicks in the nest box this year :)

Pretty near fully grown, should fledge in the next few days.

birdbox2022.jpg

Soldato
So I put up a bird box aimed at Robin's two years ago as they're always in my garden and it's never been used, but last month a pair of great **** have moved in and I can now hear lots of babies chirping loudly every time Mummy and Daddy great tit pop in to visit. Quite a lovely sound to hear, I just wish I'd gone for one of those camera set ups so I could watch them as I'd love to see them, but I shall be good and leave them well alone :).

Anyone else have some bird boxes on the go?

Robins tend to go for the open fronted style boxes (large open gap along top) rather than the holed boxes so you may need to change the style of box

Back
Top Bottom