What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Midnight Sky (2020) - 6/10

I really don’t know if this is a good film or not.

It’s slow going and somewhat atmospheric with good special effects and the premise was interesting, but it doesn’t have much of a story to tell.

The groups deal with their isolationism and willingness to survive with such professionalism there’s not much drama and the few events they do have to overcome is done relatively easily.

The acting was good, but it was hard to bond with any of the characters.

Bit soulless, and ultimately depressing. Well made though looks great. But it can't carry the movie.

I watched the Wrath of Man. It started well but most of it was utterly predictable. Watchable though if a bit dark. Soundtrack was very atmospheric. The best part of the film. Young Eastwood is ok but you want him to have more charisma. Statham is a darker version of... Well Statham.

Associate
The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (2021) - 10/10

Brilliant animation, a smarmy lead, political commentary and plenty of action, I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish.

The anime style is always over the top, but the vibrant colours and fast paced combat create a whirlwind of excitement during the action, and the good story and characters add emotional heft to the plot.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Tender Bar
On Prime Video

A coming of age drama about a boy's dream to be a writer when he's older and the father figure in his life played by Ben Affleck. Strong directing from George Clooney and a rather excellent script acted out really well. Pacing was nice and the consistent drive of the end goal was always there too with no straying off from that goal.

Nice warm vibes of family/belonging too. The IMDB score is 6.7 or something but the Prime Video reviews are more inline with how I found it, an easy 8/10 really. Great drama.

Soldato
Ghostbusters Afterlife - 5/10

Was ok, had a good adventure romp feel to it to start with but then just peetered out by the final third with the build up and final fight scene with the 'bad guy' being a damp squib.

Associate
The 355 (2022) - 6/10

A technology orientated spy thriller with plenty of good chase scenes, fights and action scenes.

Good range of characters who each bring their own element to the proceedings, although the villains are not that interesting and the “male vs female” message is a bit on the nose.

The plot has plenty of exotic locations and double crosses, although becomes less and less credible as it goes along and is a bit too long overall.

Much better than I was expecting, and entertaining for what it is.

Soldato
Saw The Unforgivable just now. Better than I anticipated, but overall I think it's a 6.5 to just scraping a 7/10. for some reason the style and tone of the film reminded me of One Hour Photo which of course is about something completely different. The Unforgivable I felt was just missing a little something. Bullock puts in a good performance. I think without her and instead someone like Naomi Watts as the lead instead, it would indeed fall to 6.

The Big Short. Pretty interesting film. Makes me wonder when will there be another one.

Fantastic film, better than Wolf of Wall Street for me, which is more pop, and designed more to appeal to the masses.

Soldato
Kingsman

6.5/10

It was ok, however we've been spoilt by the other 2 movies, without them I may have given it a 7.5 as I enjoyed the Rhys Ifans scenes.

Luckily I knew about Franz Ferdinand and WW1 before going to see it, I would suggest if you don't just giving it a quick Google before going to see it.

Soldato
Finally got round to watching the movie version of...
Snowpiercer = 6/10

Well it wasn't bad for the most part, essentially a collection of set pieces as the passengers from "steerage" try and reach the front of the train. However completely ruined by the ending...
What sort of messed up take over plan ended up causing an avalanche thereby derailing the train and sending most of the cars crashing down a ravine? Not made clear if anyone in that section of the train survived in which case not only did all the passengers left at the back die but everyone else. I'm sure most of the passengers in first class were decent folk. And this train had circumnavigated the planet 17 (?) times already and could cope with massive ice falls across the track, surely it had some means of clamping down to resist the avalanche. So that left one woman and small child as the only survivors. It might not be cold enough outside to instant freeze human flesh but still sub zero. They had no shelter, no food other than what might be salvaged from the wreck and a polar bear eyeing them with no means of defence. Then it ended!

The TV show version was quirky but did make slightly more sense.

Soldato
The Old Guard - 6.5/10

Enjoyed this, got a bit cheese fest towards the end, the American marine looked like an Essex Chav in her green shellsuit, but good movie.

Associate
Blood Red Sky (2021) - 8/10

Gory, violent and tense with great monster effects and a realistic representation of the disease.

It isn’t that horrific, but is thrilling and although a bit slow at times, it’s very entertaining.

The plot isn’t that different, but the strong focus on protecting family whilst struggling to maintain your humanity as the monster within takes over is great and powerfully demonstrated.

Soldato
C'mon C'mon

Wasn’t expecting all that much but was pleasantly surprised. Great performance from all and everything just felt so natural, like you were sitting in on their life. Relationship between the leads was a joy to watch. I’m not much of a softy but if I was to sum up the film in one word. Beautiful.

8-10

Back
Top Bottom