Household Funding / Grants - DLA

Soldato
For unfortunate reasons we are now in receipt of DLA (U16) for a member of the household and one of the charities mentioned that it also entitles you to additional grants / funding from the government for things like insulation, heating bits etc.... Has anyone gone through this process?

We live in a house built in the late 1950s/early 1960s so although it's had cavity wall insulation done it was a good 20-30 years ago and probably needs addressing. I've done the loft insulation myself and we had a new boiler last year but there is nothing under the timber flooring downstairs and the cold air creeps up from the void - it looks like underfloor insulation is covered.

All the websites advertising it all look a bit scam-y (example), has anyone had bits done due to DLA funding and what was your experience? Is there anything else worth looking at as well?

Associate
Disabled Facilities Grants, upto 30k from your local council. It is means tested, but NOT if someone who is under 16 is in the house. Meant to be an absolute pain to claim tho as councils don't like giving out the money.

Soldato
OP
Disabled Facilities Grants, upto 30k from your local council. It is means tested, but NOT if someone who is under 16 is in the house. Meant to be an absolute pain to claim tho as councils don't like giving out the money.

Checking out the Gov website it is a lot of money but probably not suitable or relevant to our case:
  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
Annoyingly we've had a brand new boiler and new radiators installed over the last 12 months and the other bits about accessibility aren't suitable at the moment (nor expected to be).

Associate
It's basically for what ever you need to do, in order to improve the house for the disabled person. It doesn't have to be any of the above things, it could be anything, if that is what is needed to improve things. You apply, and then the council send someone out to access what could be done etc. It's all about getting the agreement from the council that the improvement, what ever it may be is suitable for the property. Brand new bathroom? Extension for a downstairs, warm and cosy bedroom? Have a google and see what other people have used it for, you might find an idea or two.

Soldato
OP
It's basically for what ever you need to do, in order to improve the house for the disabled person. It doesn't have to be any of the above things, it could be anything, if that is what is needed to improve things. You apply, and then the council send someone out to access what could be done etc. It's all about getting the agreement from the council that the improvement, what ever it may be is suitable for the property. Brand new bathroom? Extension for a downstairs, warm and cosy bedroom? Have a google and see what other people have used it for, you might find an idea or two.

Hmmmm interesting. The person in question is young and has cancer so is more impacted by the treatment, drugs and associated hospital visits (hence DLA). I'm struggling to think what could be done that would specifically improve his life with funding like that. There isn't (currently) a working toilet upstairs he can use which is hindering toilet training but realistically that would be the case with or without the cancer.

I'll do some Googling and see what they say, we do have planning for a large rear extension as the existing dining room is made from timber with single glazed windows so is very cold but that's part of a whole bigger project which includes extending the kitchen and adding an extra room downstairs.

Caporegime
For unfortunate reasons we are now in receipt of DLA (U16) for a member of the household and one of the charities mentioned that it also entitles you to additional grants / funding from the government for things like insulation, heating bits etc.... Has anyone gone through this process?

We live in a house built in the late 1950s/early 1960s so although it's had cavity wall insulation done it was a good 20-30 years ago and probably needs addressing. I've done the loft insulation myself and we had a new boiler last year but there is nothing under the timber flooring downstairs and the cold air creeps up from the void - it looks like underfloor insulation is covered.

All the websites advertising it all look a bit scam-y (example), has anyone had bits done due to DLA funding and what was your experience? Is there anything else worth looking at as well?
Im getting a new more accessible bathroom installed soon using a DFG. I went through the council who sent someone round to assess and draw up the plans. We wasn’t quite happy with the plans as it was designed like a hospital bathroom which is not really suitable in a family home.

I called them about this and the manager put me in touch with the builders who then came round loaded with showroom brochures and we designed a much nicer, more normal but accessible bathroom. The only thing I will have to pay for myself is the floor and wall tiles as the council spec that hospital wet room stuff. The council also specked an electric shower, but as the connections are there, they’re going to put in a thermostatic mixer shower instead. Much better.

Soldato
OP
Im getting a new more accessible bathroom installed soon using a DFG. I went through the council who sent someone round to assess and draw up the plans. We wasn’t quite happy with the plans as it was designed like a hospital bathroom which is not really suitable in a family home.

I called them about this and the manager put me in touch with the builders who then came round loaded with showroom brochures and we designed a much nicer, more normal but accessible bathroom. The only thing I will have to pay for myself is the floor and wall tiles as the council spec that hospital wet room stuff. The council also specked an electric shower, but as the connections are there, they’re going to put in a thermostatic mixer shower instead. Much better.

That's really interesting to hear. Is there a genuine need to change the existing bathroom? Ours is..... ok but we're planning to replace it soon anyway as it's two separate rooms currently (bath and sink in 1 room, toilet that is blocked off in another but I'd struggle to argue he can't live with the existing arrangement and any new bathroom wouldn't need anything super accessible as his condition means he's just weak and behind with physical development but (fingers crossed) it's not expected to be long term (back to 'normal' in 3 years) or life changing.

Caporegime
That's really interesting to hear. Is there a genuine need to change the existing bathroom? Ours is..... ok but we're planning to replace it soon anyway as it's two separate rooms currently (bath and sink in 1 room, toilet that is blocked off in another but I'd struggle to argue he can't live with the existing arrangement and any new bathroom wouldn't need anything super accessible as his condition means he's just weak and behind with physical development but (fingers crossed) it's not expected to be long term (back to 'normal' in 3 years) or life changing.
Well the toilet is not in an area where hand rails can be fitted, so it needs relocating. The shower tray and floor tiles are not safe for me as they’re really quite slippy, so I need a flush non slip wet room tray and non slip flooring tiles.

Associate
Hmmmm interesting. The person in question is young and has cancer so is more impacted by the treatment, drugs and associated hospital visits (hence DLA). I'm struggling to think what could be done that would specifically improve his life with funding like that. There isn't (currently) a working toilet upstairs he can use which is hindering toilet training but realistically that would be the case with or without the cancer.

I'll do some Googling and see what they say, we do have planning for a large rear extension as the existing dining room is made from timber with single glazed windows so is very cold but that's part of a whole bigger project which includes extending the kitchen and adding an extra room downstairs.

Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. Is it ALL if you don't mind me asking? If it is, it has a much better outcome from young kiddies as they tend to respond really well to the treatments. Will keep my fingers crossed for you and your family. Deffinitely apply and get someone around from the council, they might have some ideas you haven't thought about that could help.

Soldato

Aye depends on UK region, but generally you go straight thru the council, sometimes if houses need adapted etc for special needs you can get funding also, and it is a good opportunity to update house, lights, switches to disabled access positions, and electrics etc, but varies by region.
Some charities can help with the process and guide you through what might actually be available, and what to consider applying for in the first place.

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. Is it ALL if you don't mind me asking? If it is, it has a much better outcome from young kiddies as they tend to respond really well to the treatments. Will keep my fingers crossed for you and your family. Deffinitely apply and get someone around from the council, they might have some ideas you haven't thought about that could help.

It is ALL and by all accounts the prognosis is positive It also means I'm not sure I can blag anything like a new bathroom as the only real reason it needs replacing is we don't like the toilet and bath to be 2 separate rooms and it's a big old and manky. I'll contact the council regarding DFG and see what they suggest, but not hold out my hopes.

Back
Top Bottom