The C8 Corvette now shown without camouflage - 'vette going mid-engined

OcUK Staff
But it might be unsellable as we get close to 2030. It's a really expensive Chevvy and it's not likely to be collectable like the car it's up against.

The car will be over sold, massively. Your forgetting the kind of people who buy these special cars, a lot of them just park them in the garage and look at them, my view is just buy a decent model of the car and put it in a display cabinet, its far cheaper lol.
Even the people who will drive them will only do like a couple thousand miles per annum, probably less, so even if fuel is like £2.50 a litre they won't care, they can afford to buy the car, they can afford to run it and they will have what could be considered the best V8 engine ever made.

Its main market USA will go mental for it, but the fact for the first time ever you can get a Corvette in RHD will see extremely strong sales in those markets too. When Ford launched Mustang in RHD format, their sale volumes were beyond expectations and the other surprising element was that the majority were for V8 manuals, whereas Ford thought the UK would want Ecoboost, but how wrong they were as majority went V8.

First time you can get a Corvette in RHD, including special models, its only weakness in RHD is its an expensive car at 80k plus, whereas the Mustang was a 35k car at launch, it is now circa 45-50k and of course that initial excitement and demand has worn off but they still move plenty of them. There is a huge Corvette community in the UK and just a lot of people who will want what is in essence a cheap Ferrari, because make no doubt of it Corvette are brilliant driving cars and at half the price of a Ferrari it will appeal to a lot of none Corvette fans who just want that performance without the cost to buy or the running cost and it will be different.

I really hope they can supply decent volume and I hope it does well, be great to see them on the road getting used, problem with most Ferrari's and other exotics is they don't get used enough so you rarely see them out and about which is shame.

Soldato
The new Corvette has a nice interior, engine and (relative) practicality. I do like it.

However I can't get on with the rear end and I'm still going to need some time to adjust to a mid engine Corvette, especially when the C7 looked so good.

I'm sure the quality concerns are overblown as always.

It will never be super popular over here becuase of brand snobbery and the poor $ to £ translation in MSRP.

The power from the Z06 version is just insane really.

Ironically this is a perfect enthusaist's car - light, n/a, RWD, regular brand etc. Although I can hear the entirity of pistonheads screaming "aUtO gEaR bOx" & "iT cAnT cOrNeR" etc as they admire their 1993 TVR Griffith.

OcUK Staff
The new Corvette has a nice interior, engine and (relative) practicality. I do like it.

However I can't get on with the rear end and I'm still going to need some time to adjust to a mid engine Corvette, especially when the C7 looked so good.

I'm sure the quality concerns are overblown as always.

It will never be super popular over here becuase of brand snobbery and the poor $ to £ translation in MSRP.

The power from the Z06 version is just insane really.

Ironically this is a perfect enthusaist's car - light, n/a, RWD, regular brand etc. Although I can hear the entirity of pistonheads screaming "aUtO gEaR bOx" & "iT cAnT cOrNeR" etc as they admire their 1993 TVR Griffith.

Agreed on rear end it looks odd and the Z package carbon rear spoiler does not really help matters.

C7 is best looking Corvette made, pretty spikey handling but really nice cars.

Whether or not its lightweight, lets wait and see I think it was Steve Sutcliffe or Henry Catchpole actually weighed the regular C8 to discover it was considerably heavier than thought and was something like 1740kg for coupe and 1800kg plus for the convertible, which is not even remotely close to been lightweight. It looks like GM might be playing the Ferrari game of publishing dry weights......

Z06 needs to be under 1600kg and the closer to 1500 or under ideally to feel properly alive and up on its feet. However GM are smart and have put in an 8 speed very close ratio gearbox which will dramatically help with how punchy and keen it feels, I am sure it will drive better than most cars out there and will be one of the great last combustion cars. The engine is truly magical and only a few select cars have those truly magical NA engines, GT3, S2000, 458, LFA and now this Vette, pretty much sums it up.

Funny as several years ago, you maybe remember when I nearly purchased a C6 Z06, driving that car was incredible, that 7.0l engine was epic and though it was not a 9000rpm, it still went to 7000rpm which in a 7.0l V8 was rather special.

Man of Honour
Not really feeling this car and in time, when the petrol engines are a thing of the past I think this car will be looked on poorly as the odd one out that never really hit the mark. I think they had a good formula and should have kept with it. My car is an example of an old school thug that can compete with all the mid engined cars out there and this should have been another.

OcUK Staff
Not really feeling this car and in time, when the petrol engines are a thing of the past I think this car will be looked on poorly as the odd one out that never really hit the mark. I think they had a good formula and should have kept with it. My car is an example of an old school thug that can compete with all the mid engined cars out there and this should have been another.

Its the way it looks and the size of it as it looks huge, might actually be smaller but it looks like a total mash up of Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Corvette all in one car and its not pulling it off, it will for sure have the minerals and ability, plus the weight might be a killer.

What I like most about mid-engine cars is visibility, likewise for rear engine and generally for the most is they tend to be pretty light which no matter how you look at it translates to how it feels, that for me is what is key on a mid/rear engine car, I don't care if other cars are as fast or faster, more about how much fun I am having driving it and how it feels and communicates. There is a reason why Porsche are so successful with Boxster and Cayman, why now there is a GT4 RS coming. There is plenty faster and the snobs will always want the 911, but faster never means better and if its not enjoyable at legal speeds on the road then what is the point. Its also why slow cars can be so much fun on the road. :D

Man of Honour
The 911 and Boxster have been the best at what they do for ever and Porsche knows what it’s doing. When I see 911’s are too common I understand the perception but it’s cutting your nose off to spite your face. I’d take a C2S over this car and a GT4

OcUK Staff
The 911 and Boxster have been the best at what they do for ever and Porsche knows what it’s doing. When I see 911’s are too common I understand the perception but it’s cutting your nose off to spite your face. I’d take a C2S over this car and a GT4

Gotta buy what works for you, who cars if they are common or not, shame some people think that, like you say cutting their noses of to spite their face, the reality is they are missing out big time. Everytime I jump in the Spyder it is the only car that immediately feels just absolutely right, everything is weighted to perfection and the way it drives is just insane, the ability is bonkers, but the levels of feel are 11/10, such a fun and involving drive.

Soldato
Saw my first RHD one this morning at the Haynes Breakfast Club. It's a good looking car but something about the proportions is a bit off, really needs springs and spacers to sort the stance out. The rear deck is absolutely humungous, that V8 looks completely lost in there! Interior looked fab and still think they're overall a fantastic package/price, hope we get the Z06 quicker than we got the base.

Someone else pic...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYg3l6joF_3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Back
Top Bottom