What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Finally got around to seeing

James Bond No time to die 6/10
Umm end of Bond? No more Felix?
Kill everyone.... Give him a cliché AF death.

I honestly never liked the last Craig Daniel bond. He turned into a generic action hero. Other franchises were better and outpaced bond.
Bond was always about the misogyny.
This last outing showed promise but lacked the credible villian
No cold war, no bond.

So a reboot.... FML. .,.

Last edited:
Soldato
A Quiet Place II 7/10

It was ok, not quite as good as the 1st but followed the same promise, start was good as it explained where the aliens came from.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Hollow Point (1996) - 8/10

I'd forgotten just how much fun this film is :cool:

You've got Thomas Ian Griffith and Tia Carrere doing their thing, and they do it very well. But then you've got Donald Sutherland doing his thing, and it's fantastic. And on top of all this you have John Lithgow doing his thing. Which takes it from 'half decent B-movie' to 'very decent B-movie'. And I'm fine with that. It's got great dialogue, a more-than-serviceable supporting cast, the direction and pacing are on point, there are some brilliant set pieces in it...yeah it's painfully '90s in places :p but I'm a big believer in Nick Meyer's statement about how all works are a part of their time, and I don't think you should necessarily hold it against them.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Smashed through all The Hobbits today but i did fast forward anything with Golem or a very dull talking bit. :o

Love the films. May do LOTR next.

The Hobbit is an awful set of films when shown next to LotR which are some of my favourites ever.

What blows my mind is that I have seen a load of "cut" scenes from The Hobbit and the actual action scenes they kept in the film were the restrained ones. The cut ones were literally so ridiculous that I couldn't believe my eyes. People in the comments loved them though. Clear to see what people who watched the Hobbit and thought it was amazing liked about it. The very thing I think was handled so awfully.

Consigliere
The Hobbit is an awful set of films when shown next to LotR which are some of my favourites ever.

What blows my mind is that I have seen a load of "cut" scenes from The Hobbit and the actual action scenes they kept in the film were the restrained ones. The cut ones were literally so ridiculous that I couldn't believe my eyes. People in the comments loved them though. Clear to see what people who watched the Hobbit and thought it was amazing liked about it. The very thing I think was handled so awfully.

I am easily pleased. :(

Soldato

Agree with this completely. The Hobbit films are terrible when compared to the awesome lord of the rings trilogy. They are full of characters and story elements that have no place being there and some of the action scenes are ludicrous. A real shame :(

Soldato
Isn't the rule spoilers until two weeks after release?

I don't know. To me it wouldn't seem right and would just seem to make sense even a year after a movie release, if it's a huge plot twist, major character dying, I would have thought just courteous to put in spoiler tags?

Two weeks makes sense for a TV show, but surely the majority of movie views are after two weeks since a movie release?

Soldato
I don't know. To me it wouldn't seem right and would just seem to make sense even a year after a movie release, if it's a huge plot twist, major character dying, I would have thought just courteous to put in spoiler tags?

I'd personally spoiler it as it's a major event, it's also in the realms of common sense and not being a **** online to others.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's like watching a cut scene from a particularly over the top video game sequence :rolleyes:

Read the comments if you want to know why they make junk like that. Its not even that its necessarily too over the top (I mean it is) but the quality of it is awful. I think there was only one thing in the 3 lord of the rings films with Legolas where the CGI/action was off. Theres probably 20 times in that 5 minute clip where its just a joke. I half expected them to say "hastalavista" at one point.

Man of Honour

The Hobbit films have some fair moments but on the whole are astonishingly bad. Half of the film is a badly paced, poor humoured, padded trudge and the other half is “let’s allude to the LOTR trilogy *nudge wink*”.

Shockingly bad compared to LOTR.

It’s funny but I still remember the shock I felt when I read this post 9 years ago…

What a great film, a fair bit better than lord of the rings. I haven't read books so no idea how that affects people's view of it.

:eek:

Man of Honour
Ooo I went and found my original review from when the first Hobbit came out…

Without reading the other reviews in here I'll give my opinion:

I went into this optimistic and open minded but I ended up really disappointed. Although it was cool too go back to middle earth, there were so many things that were just... bad.

First things first, the HFR 3D version of the film. Holy poo was that hard to get used to. At times it looks amazing but before my eyes could adjust a lot of it looks like a Benny Hill sketch or in fast forward mode. Even with that aside, with a combination of the 3D and the HFR, or for whatever reason, the fast paced action scenes looked fake and false.
The main offender was the brown wizard and his sleigh. That looked terrible
. Perhaps it's because the more realistic you try to make something the more your eye can see that it's false.

So with that in mind, I really don't know if I could recommend the HFR version... it just didn't sit right with my eyes. I completely understand the comments from critics suggesting it looked more like a slick BBC TV production than a feature film, but I don't think that made it any worse. It looked sharper and more fluid, but is that 'better' in this context? Hmm.

Any-who, onto the actual film. There is the fundamental problem is that the film lacks what the LOTR trilogy has in spades: the sense of threat. There is nothing menacing going on and as a result it's not a dramatic film, relatively speaking or otherwise. It's just not that exciting. The next problem is that there is some seriously misplaced goofy humour and some seriously misplaced goofy characters.
The portrayal of the brown wizard was just terrible. Likewise the scene with the trolls around the fire was silly due to their herp derp nature and voices. Only one of the songs was warranted (the second song in bag end with the humming). The first song with the tidying up of dishes... again, really bad. The biggest offender by a long way was the dwarf with an orange beard. Oh wow hilarious look at the fat dwarf doing fat things like falling over a lot. Peter Jackon. On behalf of the world: He's fat. We get it.
Fair enough the story isn't as 'epic' or 'menacing' as LOTR, but does that mean we have to suffer this dumbness?

With no malingering sense of dread or doom, and the above silliness, it is an enormously lengthy and at times a tedious watch. Far too long considering the content anyway. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in the audience groaned with disappointment when they realised that even after escaping the mountain, it wasn't over.

Good parts:
  1. The scene with Gollum.
  2. The introduction of the Necromancer
Misc. Bad Parts:
  1. King dwarf and leader of the troupe was just a douchebag.
  2. Did I mention the brown wizard :/

Enough said :(

4/10

Associate
Major Grom: Plague Doctor (2021) - 7/10

Quirky characters and a little bit tongue in cheek with a dramatically over the top style and action scenes.

The special effects and acting are good, although the characters are pretty stereotypical.

The story is nothing new with its topical revolution, but the setting is different and it was thoroughly entertaining from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom