Road Cycling

Soldato
Cheers all.

Given the cost i think i'll pick one up. The Garmin Tri one is good as it features all the Garmin running dynamics too, but the Wahoo will be good as a backup. Plus i'm debating picking up a Turbo so can use it with that to avoid the hassle of disconnecting my main strap from my watch.

Soldato
What difference can a strap make on your HRM? I have a Tickr, but had to replace the strap some months ago. I've noticed recently that my HR goes higher than it ever has before (eg I hit 186 in a Zwift race, I'm not sure I've ever seen it over 180 before) Other times recently seem to be higher than I would expect it to be, I just wondered if the strap might effect it?

Soldato
What difference can a strap make on your HRM? I have a Tickr, but had to replace the strap some months ago. I've noticed recently that my HR goes higher than it ever has before (eg I hit 186 in a Zwift race, I'm not sure I've ever seen it over 180 before) Other times recently seem to be higher than I would expect it to be, I just wondered if the strap might effect it?

If the strap has an issue yes, I have one where the sensor pads obviously disconnected between that and the poppers and the readings are all over the show. chucked it out now.

Soldato

I can hit a higher heart rate at the end of a Zwift race then I can climbing the steepest hill on the road. Based on how horrific I felt afterwards, I feel that it was accurate.

Soldato

If you have just started turbo season and /or you don't do regular z4+ sessions on the turbo, it's very normal to see higher heartrates and lower power indoors compared to outdoors, due to heat stress. After a few weeks of regular races and/or workouts, power and heart data should become pretty comparable, providing you drink enough and have decent fans.

Soldato
I mean, I've not done a Zwift race for 8 or 9 months maybe, but I'm seeing higher numbers outside too...

Higher numbers with increased power and faster speeds or just higher numbers? If it's just higher numbers, it will likely be one or more of the following: less fit, riding rested, more weight, increase in temperature.

They usually fail with signal dropping or being really erratic with the data, like stating your at silly low bpm when your actually around tempo.

Soldato
Yeah, I do fear I'm not as fit right now and a little heavier, but I'm still definitely fitter and lighter than 2 years back and I don't think I saw my heart rate over 180 (not often over 170 even) back then either...

Soldato
With a few trips abroad this year, who does anyone recommend for travel insurance? I've done a comparison on a comparison site and they seem to cap a claim at £500 for one item at best, which wouldn't work too well if the bike got nicked!

Associate
With a few trips abroad this year, who does anyone recommend for travel insurance? I've done a comparison on a comparison site and they seem to cap a claim at £500 for one item at best, which wouldn't work too well if the bike got nicked!
Do you have any existing bike insurance or your bike on your home policy? these might cover use abroad

Soldato

How are you planning on doing your trips? I remember watching a Youtube video of someone booking a cheap flight to a random place and cycling back home and the idea of this has really appealed.

Soldato
One is through a company (Mallorca) and the other is arranged through my local cycle club (well, bunch of cycle mates - Alps). If I'm made redundant, maybe I'll try fly out, cycle home. It does sound quite an adventure!

Soldato
That sounds like something I'd never do :o

A local club are heading over and someone has produced a very nice itinerary in PDF format explaining every from the flights, accommodation and a day by day breakdown of the planned ride.

I'd need to go a step further and have a day by day plan made up for which pub or restaurant we're headed to :D

Back
Top Bottom