Dell DDR5 green sticks 4800 @ 6430c28

Soldato
Already had some G.Skill 6000cas36 and managed 6000cas32, these have samsung IC's. Heard good things about Hynix on this platform so bought some run of the mill basic Dell 16gb 4800, these have no XMP profiles!! this is a work in progress and they have not been tested yet for full stability!! Benchmarks are not posing a problem so far. Who needs fancy heatspreaders etc !!! :D

PXL-20220107-164045937.jpg

hynix6430.png

Associate
Maybe not the best place to ask but since somewhat related may aswell.

I've slowly been pulled into getting a DDR5 setup but the only thing stopping me is the immaturity of the platform. I do think that if you are getting a DDR5 setup to make sure you can push the frequencies required in the future, you would need a 2 DIMM board. However if you look at the Z690 Hero (4 DIMM) it has a QVL for 6800C40. The Apex board (2 DIMM) only has 6400C40.

Your results seem to show that 6800C40 would be more than capable on the Apex so why does Asus not list it? Does anyone know of any resources where someone tested a memory kit on both a 4 DIMM vs 2 DIMM to see what the differences were (same manufacturer obv)? I don't mind spending for the Apex if it's going to not hold back memory oc (or even in say 6 months handle some XMP 7,000 kits) but it would feel really bad if when Raptor Lake releases that the board manufacturers improved the designs so much that 4 DIMM budget boards in say the sub £200 range (B670?) are outperforming the £500+ 2 DIMM Apex.

Soldato
Already had some G.Skill 6000cas36 and managed 6000cas32, these have samsung IC's. Heard good things about Hynix on this platform so bought some run of the mill basic Dell 16gb 4800, these have no XMP profiles!! this is a work in progress and they have not been tested yet for full stability!! Benchmarks are not posing a problem so far. Who needs fancy heatspreaders etc !!! :D

PXL-20220107-164045937.jpg

hynix6430.png
That’s some super low latency from CL28 :cool:
I thought DDR5 was supposed to be much higher latency, as in nearer 80-100ns. This RAM proves my reading incorrect

Soldato
OP

I've slowly been pulled into getting a DDR5 setup but the only thing stopping me is the immaturity of the platform. I do think that if you are getting a DDR5 setup to make sure you can push the frequencies required in the future, you would need a 2 DIMM board. However if you look at the Z690 Hero (4 DIMM) it has a QVL for 6800C40. The Apex board (2 DIMM) only has 6400C40.

Your results seem to show that 6800C40 would be more than capable on the Apex so why does Asus not list it? Does anyone know of any resources where someone tested a memory kit on both a 4 DIMM vs 2 DIMM to see what the differences were (same manufacturer obv)? I don't mind spending for the Apex if it's going to not hold back memory oc (or even in say 6 months handle some XMP 7,000 kits) but it would feel really bad if when Raptor Lake releases that the board manufacturers improved the designs so much that 4 DIMM budget boards in say the sub £200 range (B670?) are outperforming the £500+ 2 DIMM Apex.
Something is definitely amiss somewhere, there are so many different revisions of Bios for the Apex, nobody is sure if the issues are Bios, Board or Dimm related. Although people on the same board and bios are seeing very different results on G.Skill's kits, some wont boot XMP, my 6kc36 kit i had no issues and could tighten down to C32 with no drama's and with slack timings got them to 7140mhz. G.skill is not alone here so maybe it is a DDR5 problem???? Heat on them is a big factor, stability starts to go at around 50c ish. Just seen a guy post screens of these green sticks at 7000mhz C30, on Apex.

Soldato

For 99% of us, it's exactly the same as DDR4. Those chasing world records, or pushing for max benchmark results as a hobby with exotic cooling, will get the 2 DIMM boards (Apex etc). They'll also throw it away and upgrade to Z790 and AM5 when they release etc etc.

4 DIMM board are fine, as referenced by the QVL you mentioned. There are tens of thousands using Z690 4 DIMM DDR5 boards with XMP kits from 5200Mhz to 6400Mhz, vast majority without issue.

There's always the odd special person who'll try to run TWO 2x16GB XMP kits in a 4 DIMM board, then cry on forums when it doesn't work, this won't change. These folk need to settle for 4800Mhz JEDEC or wait for QVL 4 DIMM 64/128GB kits to be released.

Soldato
Hynix rocks, though you're clearly in need of some RGB :D

Not had time to tune my hynix sticks fully yet, though got this after a quick config to 6600Mhz C32, 1.4v

eSqKryE.png

Soldato
OP
Hynix rocks, though you're clearly in need of some RGB :D

Not had time to tune my hynix sticks fully yet, though got this after a quick config to 6600Mhz C32, 1.4v

LOL no thank you Dave, they are now wearing some Monarch heat spreaders though for some bling, no waterblock yet. Think im at my IMC limit tried all sorts of combo's, will test some more once i grab a KS

Soldato
LOL no thank you Dave, they are now wearing some Monarch heat spreaders though for some bling, no waterblock yet. Think im at my IMC limit tried all sorts of combo's, will test some more once i grab a KS

You'll get more out of them with heatspreaders, what temperatures are you seeing during stress testing? Mine are not exceeding 51C currently.

Associate
These hynix chips seem to clock really well, not many people testing these with game results which im more interested in than benchmarks. I get a around 52ns in aida with my samsung sticks at 6666c36/38/38/52, makes a huge gain over XMP in games.

What I dont understand is why my gskill temps are so high, i run 1.375v and hits 60degC in bench marks and 50-51 in games. temps drop a few degrees with a fan on them but thats not practicle.

Do you know how the ring clock affects ram? im just running 5.2/4.0/4.0@ 1.3v at the moment and everything seems fine but i see some people running the ring clock super high.

Soldato
OP
These hynix chips seem to clock really well, not many people testing these with game results which im more interested in than benchmarks. I get a around 52ns in aida with my samsung sticks at 6666c36/38/38/52, makes a huge gain over XMP in games.

What I dont understand is why my gskill temps are so high, i run 1.375v and hits 60degC in bench marks and 50-51 in games. temps drop a few degrees with a fan on them but thats not practicle.

Do you know how the ring clock affects ram? im just running 5.2/4.0/4.0@ 1.3v at the moment and everything seems fine but i see some people running the ring clock super high.

Because G.Skill in there wisdom decided to not put thermal pads on the memory voltage controller. FYI Hynix also run cooler than Samsung.

Back
Top Bottom