When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes, it’s all cars for export in the initial part of the quarter and then more local orders in the latter. EU cars come over on the same ships as U.K. ones.

That said expect that to change when Berlin opens up for the rest of the EU but I expect we will still get made in China cars as other RHD mart let’s are made there.

EU gets some US produced cars as well but the same principle applies.
Don’t forget Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are also RHD.

Soldato
so how does the tesla production line work for lhd/rhd production - are there consecutive days dedicated to rhd ?
(I couldn't find proportion of lhd/rhd they currently produce.
The steering and pedals still mechanically connect into the car ? so I assume a different dash module alone would be insufficient to change.

Potentially import rules of origin in uk versus europe will mean it is cheaper to take rhd's from China, trade balance might prefer that too.

Soldato
There are so few combinations so they just build in batches for forecast demand in the relevant market. Everything coming off the line in that batch will be identical.

Don’t forget Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are also RHD.

Yup but in reality they are all tiny markets. All the other RHD markets in the world are better served by the China factory so I just can’t see why they’d bother moving a small portion over to the EU, especially in the early days, when it’s viable to do it all out of one location.

RoI cars already come via the U.K. anyway.

Soldato
There are so few combinations so they just build in batches for forecast demand in the relevant market. Everything coming off the line in that batch will be identical.

Yup but in reality they are all tiny markets. All the other RHD markets in the world are better served by the China factory so I just can’t see why they’d bother moving a small portion over to the EU, especially in the early days, when it’s viable to do it all out of one location.

RoI cars already come via the U.K. anyway.
That does also depend on how many Teslas Elon wants to sell into India as well. I suspect he would probably build an Indian factory though to solve that problem.

Caporegime
Pricing for the iX range - have BMW overpriced these by about £20k? They are significantly more than the Audi and Mercedes equivalents and M-Sport models will cost more than this.

iX40 : from £70k
- WLTP range : 250 miles
- Power : 300bhp

iX50 : from £92k
- WLTP range : 373 miles
- Power : 500bhp

Take at least 25% off those WLTP figures as well.

£70k for a car that will do less than 200 miles. Ouch.

Ironically I am now considering the ix50 Msport as my next EV :cry:

Caporegime
I do like the iX, even the looks but for me it offers nothing which the i4 doesn't do better and cheaper.

Thats like saying the 7 series doesnt offer anything over the 3 series for your needs. Horses for courses. People in the market for a large SUV wont be looking at an i4 or vica versa

Soldato
That does also depend on how many Teslas Elon wants to sell into India as well. I suspect he would probably build an Indian factory though to solve that problem.

I think the bigger problem with India is their power generation. The grid in the cities struggles to support the current demand and power cuts are frequent (multiple times a day) and once you are out of the cities then you will really struggle to find reliable electricity supplies. Many villages are almost without power, and you don't have to travel that far to find them.

Caporegime
Hopefully you're not looking to change until 2023 at the earliest then :p

Not interested in the ix M60? ;)

March 2023 to be exact.

I appreciate the extra range and power the ix50 has over the ix40.

Paying even more for an M60 to bring my 0-60 down from 4.6 seconds to 3.8 seconds and knock 50 miles off my total range seems a bit pointless

Soldato
I think the bigger problem with India is their power generation. The grid in the cities struggles to support the current demand and power cuts are frequent (multiple times a day) and once you are out of the cities then you will really struggle to find reliable electricity supplies. Many villages are almost without power, and you don't have to travel that far to find them.

Not the fact that 90% of the country can't even afford a car let alone a Telsa? :p

But there is a small (by Indian population terms...) number of extremely wealthy people who will jump at the chance I'm sure.

India is a weird place to visit, the wealth disparity just seems bizarre compared to the UK.

Caporegime
Not the fact that 90% of the country can't even afford a car let alone a Telsa? :p

But there is a small (by Indian population terms...) number of extremely wealthy people who will jump at the chance I'm sure.

India is a weird place to visit, the wealth disparity just seems bizarre compared to the UK.

\Give it a few more decades of Tory Govt and it wont be much different here. Every year the numbers below the poverty line increases in the UK.

]Will be even quicker if certain Govt figures get their wish with a no regulation singapore style system in this country.

Cant wait for the opportunity to work for £2 per hour for a 80 hour week again.

Soldato

I worked out there for 6 months a few years back and never got used to the disparity between those with a professional income and those without, that and the madness of the roads.

The population is so big that even if only a very small %age can afford a Tesla that is still a significant number of people, but I suspect that they might get stuck when trying to leave their home city.

Soldato
\Give it a few more decades of Tory Govt and it wont be much different here. Every year the numbers below the poverty line increases in the UK.

]Will be even quicker if certain Govt figures get their wish with a no regulation singapore style system in this country.

Cant wait for the opportunity to work for £2 per hour for a 80 hour week again.

Whilst I really really don't want to defend the Tory government here I do think comparing the UK definition of poverty with situation in India is a bit of a stretch...

I worked out there for 6 months a few years back and never got used to the disparity between those with a professional income and those without, that and the madness of the roads.

The population is so big that even if only a very small %age can afford a Tesla that is still a significant number of people, but I suspect that they might get stuck when trying to leave their home city.

I was only out there for 5 weeks total over 2 trips, and mostly spent working, but just from that perspective it was an eye-opener for sure. And yeah, that's what I was getting at, it's a tiny percentage of a huge market. I guess like China really, and also with the same cheap manufacturing as well.

Soldato
is there not much solar power? i'd have thought that would be an obvious choice for houses that get that much Sun.

Soldato
Judging by this video, even with the current high price of fuel, EVs are really only economic if you charge them at home or overnight.

TLDW: electricity prices at charging points are high, there are too few charging points, and it takes too long to charge.

And in a previous video he highlighted how he needed a plethora of apps - one for each of the various charging networks.

Soldato
It depends on what you compare it to. My 370bhp Golf R cost me 28p per mile (24 mpg, £1.50 a litre).

My model 3 performance is using 320w per mile. Assuming supercharger is 35p per kW that is around 11p per mile.

So in the winter it's almost 1/3rd of the cost to run, better in the Summer.

Tesla superchargers are generally very fast and working.

Back
Top Bottom