Small Android Phone

Soldato
My Mum (who's 72) has had a Motorola Moto G4 for many years but it's on its way out. I'm after a cheap Android phone to replace it, her only two stipulations are:
  • More storage (not difficult since the Moto G4 has a whopping 16GB of storage)
  • Smaller than the Moto G4 (which is 153mm tall) to fit easier in a pocket
I've had a look around and I can't find anything for £250 or less which is smaller than what she has. Any suggestions? Would prefer to buy new rather than refurb.

If there's nothing smaller out there, what's the best phone generally for around £200-250? There's a few Samsungs and OnePlus' which look like they might do, I guess in this price range they're all much the same though?

Soldato
Pixel 4a is the only Android I'm aware of that isn't ******* massive.

Unfortunately, it's not really in stock any more AFAIK. Last time I saw it was at Argos during Black Friday and a couple of days after that.

Soldato
the only ones apart from 4A seem to be Samsung A41 and Asus Zenfone 8, but that one is out of your budget.
if you add few mm you can go with a refurb S20 or pixel 5/5a.
also don't go by screen size, but only overall dimensions. aspect ratio and bezels/chin can make a big difference.

Soldato
Another thing to consider is the bigger screen size might actually be better for your mum. My mum originally wanted a small compact phone but then realised larger phones with the UI scaled up was actually much easier to see and use for her old eyes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, yes I'd looked at the earlier Pixels but no longer in stock sadly.

In terms of screen size, she's not fussed about that and her eyesight is pretty decent - it's more overall size so she can fit it in her pocket which she can't with the Moto G4.

Soldato
Yeah it's really frustrating that phones seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I'm not sure if we all actually want that, but I guess sales must be showing that, so...

Back
Top Bottom