Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
New to iphone here, i have a 13 pro arriving tomorrow but already have a macbook air and apple 4k tv box so do i just use those details to create/ log in to my account ? i also see there is an app called move IOS to android is that all i need.

Thanks

Seems like that move to IOS app is poo according to the review so do it manually i guess.

Soldato
The battery life on the Pro Max is insane !!

I'm starting my 4th day on 29%, I'm not a power user but that's using it for taking photos, sending/checking e-mails, web browsing, YouTube, FB, Twitter and some Clash Royale playing.
It's also linked to my fitness watch and car - unbelievable last ability.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit I'm still tempted by the 13 from my XS, but the rumours for the 14 are getting pretty nice. No notch with hole-punch display, larger body to make the cameras flush, and possibly some other bits. That said, I really, really don't want it to be port-less; my new car only does wired CarPlay so that'd be a killer for me. Though the 13 might be a lot cheaper at that point :p

Soldato
A question on photo resolution.

Why are photos from the Ultra Wide and front camera sent/downloaded to iCloud at 2048x1536 (3MP) but photos taken on the wide and telephoto downloaded at 4032x3024 (12MP)?
In the photos setting menu I have the 'Download and keep originals' selected.

Commissario
I just took a couple of pictures using the ultra wide and the front facing cameras on my 13 Pro Max and the image that appeared on my MBA is 4032x3024

PO1P0Xo.png

The front facing camera is the same resolution.

DHSBySQ.png

:confused:

Both iPhone and MBA are set to Optimise Storage.

Soldato
Just switched over to an iPhone 13 Pro Max from my Samsung S10+ and boy what an upgrade.

Fancied a change, wanted something that just worked rather and did what it did very good. I always loved android due to the tinkering, roms and the the customization but i've grown bored of that as well as being a Dad now.

This phone just does what it does extremely well, phone is buttery smooth with the 120hz, battery life is incredible - just managed 3 full days before charging granted with limited use while waiting for number to be ported over. It was a bit of a PITA getting everything from my other phone, all pictures were transferred over but all over the place and didn't match dates taken.

Definitely don't want to have to do that again, so will probably go through a few upgrade cycles or more with Apple again as long as the phones continue to be as good as they are.

Have some gripes with iOS but otherwise extremely happy with my switch over.

Soldato
I just took a couple of pictures using the ultra wide and the front facing cameras on my 13 Pro Max and the image that appeared on my MBA is 4032x3024

PO1P0Xo.png

The front facing camera is the same resolution.

DHSBySQ.png

:confused:

Both iPhone and MBA are set to Optimise Storage.
They appear on my iPad as the full size too but on my Windows PC through the iCloud App, photos taken with my 13 Pro M Ultra wide and front camera keep downloading at 3MP :(
Really strange and annoying.

Soldato
Just switched over to an iPhone 13 Pro Max from my Samsung S10+ and boy what an upgrade.

I always loved android due to the tinkering, roms and the the customization but i've grown bored of that as well as being a Dad now.

Half the reason I have an iPhone is that it just works! :D I don't need the customisation, though I've often looked at Android and wished for a few bits here and there. Is there anything in particular you're griping about other than customisation?

Soldato

Fancied a change, wanted something that just worked rather and did what it did very good. I always loved android due to the tinkering, roms and the the customization but i've grown bored of that as well as being a Dad now.

This phone just does what it does extremely well, phone is buttery smooth with the 120hz, battery life is incredible - just managed 3 full days before charging granted with limited use while waiting for number to be ported over. It was a bit of a PITA getting everything from my other phone, all pictures were transferred over but all over the place and didn't match dates taken.

Definitely don't want to have to do that again, so will probably go through a few upgrade cycles or more with Apple again as long as the phones continue to be as good as they are.

I have done similar just to try it out, the last iPhone I used was a 4S.

been an android fan but pixel 6 left a sour taste after software bugs and decided to try apple. I do like it and got used to it but have a few gripes and feel that iOS is way behind android in:

Keyboard - terrible on iOS, often feels slow/laggy, prediction is meh, options for other keyboards are also meh, even simple things like resizing of it or number row seem to be a thing that we can't get. Google keyboard was/is ok but last update a year ago and it's very much broken in 15.2
Notifications - sheesh Apple really needs to copy android here asap, so cumbersome to swipe things way/interact with them!
The claim of "everything is so clean/polished" while true for Apple own apps, many are very buggy and weird. You'd never think that. Another is alternatives/costs. 9/10 apps I try an iOS seem to be paid for with subscription etc inside. Android usually has 10 different alternatives that are free or just have an ad/two.
App store - very clunky design/UX and just in general a bit of a faf to search for things.
Photos/Gallery app, horrid! so difficult to organize, bought swipebox app to help me keep things in order. On android your camera pictures go to camera, others have individual folders per app, easy! add a million different apps to the play and you can do what ever you want with your pictures. iOS not so much.

I got used to it, don't get me wrong and I'm happy with the phone.

overall I'm really liking

Battery life - impressive, have yet to kill it
Camera - really consistent, not what I would classify as always the best but very good at just point-and-shoot which is what you want from a phone. Video quality is above anything I tried on Android.
More popular apps like Instagram, facebook etc feel more "polished" on iOS and have fewer bugs
iCloud, surprisingly cheap and convenient to sync things between devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Half the reason I have an iPhone is that it just works!
As both an Apple and Android user I get really confused by this whole "It just works" thing... What do you find doesnt work on Android? I come across just as many bugs and glitches and imposed barriers from iOS as I do with android (granted my android usage is Pixel phones only) - neither platform is remotely close to being perfect.

Soldato
As both an Apple and Android user I get really confused by this whole "It just works" thing... What do you find doesnt work on Android? I come across just as many bugs and glitches and imposed barriers from iOS as I do with android (granted my android usage is Pixel phones only) - neither platform is remotely close to being perfect.

Wake locks/Doze was my biggest bug bear with Android, also delayed Gmail alerts, they still can't get it right

Apple battery optimisation is outstanding and it sounds odd but Apple do "Google Apps" better imo

Soldato

I can (and have) given my grans old iPhones and theyve both got iPads. They can both use them easily. Granted one of them never ever ever takes the bloody phone with her and just leaves it in the house on charge! They aren’t interested in technology at all until they got them. It’s easy, it just works. Get them an android phone and it just wouldn’t be as easy. Messages, tabs etc all sync up easily without really having to do anything, they do it themselves. Their recipes they looked up on the phone or iPad are on both devices without them doing anything or having to sign into google etc again it just works.

There’s no way they’d be able to set up sync on an android phone. Android is just too confusing for the most part. iOS is far superior right across the board. That’s the difference, same with kids, toddlers etc

Ask any parent whose tried to avoid getting their kid(s) an iPad and gave them an android tablet - they’re still not going to have their iPhone back.

Not every one is tech savvy

Soldato
Can't argue with your points regarding it being slightly more easy to use but the above statement is erm... bordering on hyperbolic... what is it based on?

A history of using it. I got a tablet from work last year and some of the apps wouldn’t work because for some reason they needed to have location data on - which they don’t actually need at all to function there’s no reason for it to be required. Doesn’t pop up a notification to tell you. You just have to google it to find out why the app won’t work.

I’ve played around with blue stacks recently as well and half the time the apps don’t load they just sit there in the background - granted this shouldn’t be a used as a way to judge how it acts/responds on a dedicated device.

Although I do like you can side load apps, customise it etc is brilliant and is better than the loops that apple put you through. Over all being in the apple eco system if you will just makes it’s better right across the board for me.

I’m probably just biased based on my dreadful experience of it.

Soldato
Is there anything in particular you're griping about other than customisation?

1. The thrown in apple email app is pretty bad for gmail, requires manual syncing most the time with me going into the app and refreshing.Photo app is meh compared to say google photos, all images get put in the main camera roll mixing everything up even though they are in separate folders.
  2. Notifications are so bad, so many of them and they aren't grouped together or as easy to view as on android.
  3. Now I would have downloaded all the google apps and made it easier on myself but wanted to move entirely over to the apple eco/app system to get the best out of the phone.
They are my main gripes, loads of positives in terms of feel/quality of the phone, battery, screen, camera, gestures, airpods(spatial sound), icloud, imessage, facetime and others.

Soldato
I have done similar just to try it out, the last iPhone I used was a 4S.

been an android fan but pixel 6 left a sour taste after software bugs and decided to try apple. I do like it and got used to it but have a few gripes and feel that iOS is way behind android in:

Keyboard - terrible on iOS, often feels slow/laggy, prediction is meh, options for other keyboards are also meh, even simple things like resizing of it or number row seem to be a thing that we can't get. Google keyboard was/is ok but last update a year ago and it's very much broken in 15.2
Notifications - sheesh Apple really needs to copy android here asap, so cumbersome to swipe things way/interact with them!
The claim of "everything is so clean/polished" while true for Apple own apps, many are very buggy and weird. You'd never think that. Another is alternatives/costs. 9/10 apps I try an iOS seem to be paid for with subscription etc inside. Android usually has 10 different alternatives that are free or just have an ad/two.
App store - very clunky design/UX and just in general a bit of a faf to search for things.
Photos/Gallery app, horrid! so difficult to organize, bought swipebox app to help me keep things in order. On android your camera pictures go to camera, others have individual folders per app, easy! add a million different apps to the play and you can do what ever you want with your pictures. iOS not so much.

I got used to it, don't get me wrong and I'm happy with the phone.

overall I'm really liking

Battery life - impressive, have yet to kill it
Camera - really consistent, not what I would classify as always the best but very good at just point-and-shoot which is what you want from a phone. Video quality is above anything I tried on Android.
More popular apps like Instagram, facebook etc feel more "polished" on iOS and have fewer bugs
iCloud, surprisingly cheap and convenient to sync things between devices.

I agree with a few of these, not all as shown in my above post.

Soldato
  1. The thrown in apple email app is pretty bad for gmail, requires manual syncing most the time with me going into the app and refreshing.Photo app is meh compared to say google photos, all images get put in the main camera roll mixing everything up even though they are in separate folders.
This one is actually on Google, there is no way to "push" Gmail to an email client (apart from their own) because they don't fully implement the protocol. They used to support Microsoft Exchange, but they dropped it for free accounts. Third party apps go around this by storing your credentials/login session on their own servers and check your emails every minute by hitting the Gmail endpoint, and send a push to your phone. Obviously this is something Apple would never do.

If you prefer using Apple's own email app instead of Gmail, you can forward your Gmail to an Outlook or iCloud email. Those do support push to iOS email app. Then change your SMTP settings to send emails through Gmail.

Back
Top Bottom