Need to update BIOS but no graphics output

Associate
Hi all, in a bit of a pickle and wondering if anyone has any bright ideas or insight.

I recently upgraded to a 5600G processor to go in my b450i auros motherboard. These should be compatable but my motherboard needs a BIOS update. Unfortunately as it won't support the processor I can't get it to post and there is no direct USB flash available on this motherboard.

I have an old 1600x sat around which should work, but I do not have a graphics card available. I don't think I know anyone that I could borrow a graphics card from temporarily either.

As I see it this leaves me a few options, none of which are ideal.
- I take this opportunity to upgrade to a 550/570 motherboard and hope PCIE 4 becomes worthwhile before I would want to upgrade motherboard again.
- I buy a second hand 200GE or similar and then sell it on

Any other ideas which might beat either of those? Obviously buying a graphics card or similar but I've minimal interest in PC gaming currently and I think the 200GE would be the more economical option on that front.
I've briefly had a look at local repairs shops (to e.g. borrow a graphics card) but suspect it's going to get towards the cost of a used 200GE.
I don't need this to be instantly fixed but I would ideally like it sooner than later which slightly puts me off buying a used part, but I feel that is probably the most sensible option currently but open to any suggestions if anything I am overlooking or missing

Associate
OP
Sadly no flash on this motherboard without entering the bios as far as I can tell.

I could use the old cpu but it doesn't have a graphics output, so I would need to buy a graphics card to enter bios unless I am missing something (very possible).

Associate
Sadly no flash on this motherboard without entering the bios as far as I can tell.

I could use the old cpu but it doesn't have a graphics output, so I would need to buy a graphics card to enter bios unless I am missing something (very possible).
You're not missing anything if the motherboard doesnt have a BIOS Flash USB port. I would suggest you look for a cheap second hand GT 210. They are probably the most basic GPU you can get and ive seen them go used for around £10 - £15. That will give you atleast some kind of graphics output while using the 1600x

Back
Top Bottom