New kitchen - price check.

Soldato
Hi,

We’re looking at getting a new kitchen and think we know what we want but just wanted to sense check the price.

We’d be looking at 9 base units (including three corner, one bin unit, and a big larder pull out), and three wall units as well as integrated doors for washing machine and dishwasher.

We’ve been quoted £7050 in a Shakar style, 22mm wood with a laminated grain for units.
£2500 for 3.4sqm of 20mm Callacatta stone worktop.
£2955 for installation, including gas, plumbing, plastering of walls and skimming ceiling (removing spot lights), removal of old kitchen and “a few new electric sockets”.

We’d still need to buy an integrated dishwasher, sink, tap, integrated washing machine, range oven and cooker hood.

Ive been to Wren as well and their units are cheaper, but only 18mm. Their worktop is much more expensive (£4.2k) but I have had some quotes for 3-3.5k for similar to the 2.5 quote I’ve got. They advised to get my own fitters which I’m struggling with. The first quote include their own (subcontracted) fitters who I know did a good job on someone else’s kitchen.

I’ve got an independent company coming to measure tomorrow but imagine they will be even dearer.

So, does the first quote sound fair?

I’ve priced it on DIYKITCHENS and units are £4339. However, have same issue with fitters and my partner isn’t convinced. Rather use a shop.
This is the plan I’ve made though:
D7-B1-C36-F-62-B3-4054-8-BA2-D196-F9-CD27-CF.png

DIYkitchens are a shop, they are around leeds area iirc

I installed a DIY kitchens myself and the units are very well made. Very solid, solid backs etc
In fact I forgot to ask for one to not be glued and had to take it apart carefully to modify it and it was really difficult.

The few trades I have had round have all been impressed with the quality of the units. I certainly wouldnt be worried from that aspect.

I wouldnt be super fussed about the carcass width to be honest, if its properly installed its not going anywhere.

Associate
I have had 3 DIY Kitchens now and I wouldnt use anybody else unless I weas looking to spend substantially more on a German or Italian Kitchen. Your install charges dont seem to be too off, but unless the kitchen is substantially better quality than DIY Kitchens I wouldnt be paying £2600 more (especially as you dont have that many units). Also Wren's fitters are an absolute joke, I wouldnt even let them cross my threshold - 3 friends have had Wren Kitchens and every one was a nightmare, with one of the fitters demanding more money from the client as Wren weren't paying him enough money to finish the job!!! I would also get Howdens to quote.

Soldato
OP
I know DIYKITCHENS are good value. However, I can’t get a fitter. The one guy I could get out seemed ok but he was the only one that came out and I’ve got no idea of what his work is like. Absolute nightmare getting trades here.

Ive asked people for recommendations but of the ones that got back to me, they either weren’t taking on any work or no longer donkitchens.

I didn’t want to use Wren, just went there for a second quote more then anything.

Soldato
£7000 for the units alone is absolutely mind blowing. I'd have expected it to be no more than half of that.

You can get a worktop direct from a specliast company, they will template, install etc... so don't be put off if you buy units from 1 place and the worktop from elsewhere.

Install (£3k) and worktop (£2.5k) costs seem reasonable with current conditions. I'd expect to be able to get the whole thing done for around £10k.

Replaced a similar sized kitchen to this not long ago for £8k (but that was with cheap worktops).

Try Benchmarx and Howdens, they'll both be able to recommend a few installers to give quotes.

Associate
I just looked at how much our DIY Kitchen cost, for 23 Units which included 2xDouble pantry units, 2xOven Housings units, 7xWall Units, & 6xPan drawers, dishwasher and fridge units, sink, bin and corner units, full height wine rack, 8m of Oak worktops and Silver 2 Man delivery it was £6,153.60 delivered - those were January 2019 prices

FWIW if you do go with DIYKitchens even though you say you dont intend to
They outsource the templating manufacture and fitting of stone / quartz worktops to another really good company also based in that general area. (Somewhere in Yorkshire from memory)
You have to confirm once the kitchen units are fitted and secured and then the worksurface process commences

Soldato
OP
I do think the unit price is expensive but guess that’s where they make their money. They aren’t for giving me a discount at all unfortunately. I’d probably just go with them if they brought it down to £6500 but they aren’t budging.

I’ve just phoned Howdens and they can give me some recommended fitters so May as well see what they quote.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior - that seems the norm. Means that I’ll be without a kitchen for at least two weeks (four days to fit, and then the worktop people need to come and measure and then fit). But hey ho!
May have to go on holiday!

Associate
Get Howdens quote and the fitters details. My fitter worked for Howdens, but they are all self-employed, so they will fit anyone's kitchen. He did comment that mine was the first DIY Kitchen that he had installed and felt that it was slightly better quality than Howdens, though not by much. We priced Howdens but they couldnt come close on a price match to DIY Kitchens.

Back
Top Bottom