Any prison officers here?

Permabanned
I walked the landings for a few years. I would definitely not recommend this occupation. Cons these days have more rights than the staff, and the cons know it.

Intriguing read, thanks. Surprised that you only found some parts of the drama to be realistic, as I thought it came across as quite genuine on the whole. Not that I would know otherwise, of course.

Associate
Have any of you current or ex prison officers seen the new Ch4 series “Screw”?

Obviously it’s a drama but is there any realism in it?
Watched the first episode. The SO sleeping in a cell. Nah, not realistic at all. For starters, the gate staff would notice her keys hadn't been returned.

I can't really remember much else (beer happened!) so will probably rewatch the 1st episode.

Associate
Intriguing read, thanks. Surprised that you only found some parts of the drama to be realistic, as I thought it came across as quite genuine on the whole. Not that I would know otherwise, of course.

I did find the drama to be realistic; I meant that it only touched on a small part of prison life.

Soldato
There's a huge recruitment in the IT side of things within MOJ at the moment, some 2nd line jobs and mobile engineers on the InCell project, keep an eye on Civil Service jobs as they're usually advertised on there.

Associate
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Interesting to hear your views on the matter, as I am also ex military.
what he said. prison officers are just people earning a living after all. but would i say a lot of cons appriciate that. deffinatly not. Their was big shortages of staff when i was inside afew years back and that was due to them leaving as they felt unsafe, i cant really see any satisfaction being an officer just shutting prisoners doors and doing roll count. which was qquite often wrong and their would be multiple recounts. i dont know if ur are given overtime when that happens? their are officers that run offender behauvour cources which were benifishal and guess it was rewarding for them helping others. but other then that its like 2 weeks training given ur keys and off you go. Does ur mum know ur here boi? lol

Last edited:
Associate
What’s a prison officers attitude to being called a screw?

Is it an insult?
prisoners refere to officers as screws with each other, calling them a screw is insulting like them refuring to you as a number or criminal, officers call u mr surname or surname normally, and cons say things like guv or boss or mr surname

Back
Top Bottom