how do you get Elite Dangerous in VR ? (on Epic Store)

Soldato
Iirc the latest expansion odyssey doesn’t support vr and you need to use the previous version horizons in order to run it with vr support?

Soldato
It also doesn’t use touch controls, and unless you custom map everything on an Xbox controller, it’s almost impossible to fly. Elite is a ridiculously complicated game with a lot of keyboard controls to use - finding these on your keyboard whilst wearing a headset is an awful task.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Odyssey is a bit weird. When you fly a ship, you’re in full VR. When you walk, you can stay in the VR headset, but you get a 2d image projected in front of you.

Associate
Iirc the latest expansion odyssey doesn’t support vr and you need to use the previous version horizons in order to run it with vr support?
No that's not quite true.

Odyssey supports VR in the same way Horizons does with ship and SRV experiences... however on foot gameplay is a **** poor projected mode. The main issue with Odyssey to also be aware of is it can take a big performance hit which in VR terms can render it unusable. So you can play in VR but imho the experience isn't great and Frontier Developments don't seem to be capable of fixing the performance issues and are not willing to touch VR atm.

Sad to see it go this way but it has no sense in hiding behind the current state of things.

Soldato
i went back to ED:O for the 1st time in a while (since it 1st launched) to do this weeks community goal to get the double engineered FSDs and there was noticeable improvement in performance in space and also when flying around the planet surface - it was flawless in fact with my reverb G2.

i didnt try the on foot stuff again however as it just does not interest me how it is implemented at the moment

In the interests of openness i do have an rtx 3090 however.... but it definitely WASNT flawless at any point when i played it right after launch (i did not bother with the beta)

Soldato
thanks all

even more confused :D

i did try and launch the game without VR and it always loads Oculus and when i goto settings the game crashes out back to desktop ?

not tried myself but did see this post if it helps (no idea on your crashing however)
=======================

Epic Launcher Settings (lower left corner) > Elite Dangerous > Additional Command Line Arguments

the Additional Command Line Arguments to set for Elite is "/NOVR"

then if you want to load in vr

Epic Games has a menu for each item in your library (three horizontal dots). One of these is labelled, "Launch in VR", which seems to override the command line argument specified in the settings.

This allows you to launch it in standard by clicking the portrait, whilst still being able to load in to VR when you want to by using the menu item, so you have the best of both worlds

Soldato
i went back to ED:O for the 1st time in a while (since it 1st launched) to do this weeks community goal to get the double engineered FSDs and there was noticeable improvement in performance in space and also when flying around the planet surface - it was flawless in fact with my reverb G2.

i didnt try the on foot stuff again however as it just does not interest me how it is implemented at the moment

In the interests of openness i do have an rtx 3090 however.... but it definitely WASNT flawless at any point when i played it right after launch (i did not bother with the beta)

You're right - performance in VR is massively improved. I could actually use the Quest 2 at max res and it looked great.

Underboss
OP
not tried myself but did see this post if it helps (no idea on your crashing however)
=======================

Epic Launcher Settings (lower left corner) > Elite Dangerous > Additional Command Line Arguments

the Additional Command Line Arguments to set for Elite is "/NOVR"

then if you want to load in vr

Epic Games has a menu for each item in your library (three horizontal dots). One of these is labelled, "Launch in VR", which seems to override the command line argument specified in the settings.

This allows you to launch it in standard by clicking the portrait, whilst still being able to load in to VR when you want to by using the menu item, so you have the best of both worlds

thanks, will have to try this

Underboss
OP
nearly there !

just trying this now

launched VD on my Quest 2

loaded up Epic Games app

clicked on 3 dots, launch in VR

game loaded in VR , looks nice so far

but i cant choose an option, game pad , mouse or keyboard dont do anything lol

Underboss
OP
no, as per OP :)

works really well

training nearly complete, just would not let me shoot down the second drone for some reason, my ship would not fire even though guns were selected !

its really cool in VR, stomach went on a couple of turns (as you do) but im feeling perfectly fine so far

Back
Top Bottom