Apple Customer support beyond a joke

Soldato
Im at my wits end now trying to deal with Apple customer support they are the single worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life.

I returned my ipad pro for an in warranty repair as the power button was loose although it still worked i thought it best to get it sorted well within the warranty. Apple send me a box and packaging so I pack it up and drop it off at the collection point. No problem so far....

Then after a couple of days I get an email requesting my authorisation to fix another hardware fault found whilst the technician examined the ipad. Just a small £380 + vat repair as my ipad now seems to be bent in half !!

Below is the image from Apple sent to me apparently its the best they can do ?

So anyway I obviously call as it was not like that when I sent it and im told it will be investigated and not to worry I will take on your case etc. They arrange to call me back this never happens so I call them again and go through the same procedure with the word for word same speech etc. They say a senior person will call me back but again I just get a message saying we tried to call ? No missed calls on my phone so I don see how.

Anyway I finally get through to a senior who is beyond rude and basically says that i sent it in like that and I either pay the money or get the ipad back bent as the photo shows. I ask for pictures of the packaging as surely it would be damaged but no this has been disposed off already. I say it must have been damaged in transit surely the courier is responsible ? The response is we have asked the courier and they did not damage it.... This woman then gets irate pretty much shouts at me for sending a damaged ipad in for repair then hangs up.

I really cannot believe this is the level of service Apple provide. I have no idea what to do now they seem to be returning my now bent ipad to me and washing their hands of it saying I sent it like that. I have tried calling three times now and they either hang up transfer me to someone else who starts the whole take over your case rubbish again and nothing more.

I have thousands of pounds worth of Apple devices and tbh I'm tempted to sell the damn lot. Looks like if I want anything doing its going to have to involve legal action which is nuts.

Rant over.....

Soldato
OP
I would log an official complaint with them, that should be the next step I would have thought.

I have just had a call and the advisor said I would need to either take legal action or write a letter to Apple Ireland. I honestly cannot believe how awful they have been tbh.I’m pretty much being called a liar and I shouldn’t have sent a bent iPad to Apple. They just read from scripts with no helpful action even from what they call a senior manager.

The advisor has logged a complaint but could not let me speak to anyone or even advise if or what if any action would be taken.

Soldato
Do you have images of the device prior to you sending it? I took full 360° pictures of my MacBook when I sent that off with the date and box it was going in as or in the background. An official complaint letter including evidence like those should remove you from being the party at fault.

Soldato
OP
Do you have images of the device prior to you sending it? I took full 360° pictures of my MacBook when I sent that off with the date and box it was going in as or in the background. An official complaint letter including evidence like those should remove you from being the party at fault.

Unfortunately not only a pic from about 2 months back. Really stupid of me too trust Apple tbh.

I even explained that how it’s bent in the pic it would not have fitted in the packaging they sent without being fairly obvious something was not right. But nope apparently the package was fine….

Tbh it’s like banging your head against a wall I’m getting nowhere and tbh how much stress is an iPad worth.

I shall share my story across social media and Apples channels see if that achieves anything more than another apology.

Man of Honour
When was the last iPad last connected to the internet? I'm going to assume just prior to the courier picking it up. Surely Apple must have those details.

Soldato
I could probably understand it from Apple's point of view, they must get loads of people sending in damaged devices and then claiming it wasn't sent that way.

What doesn't excuse them though is not having documented the packaging. It seems unlikely that it would have arrived in a pristine box. By them disposing of the packaging you've now lost your evidence in making a claim against the courier.

Honestly your only option now is an LBA and take it through the small claims court. Have a read of the consumer rights section on MSE and you'll come across a number of threads where things have been damaged or gone missing en-route back to major retailers.

Soldato
OP
When was the last iPad last connected to the internet? I'm going to assume just prior to the courier picking it up. Surely Apple must have those details.

Was using it in the morning was dropped off in afternoon. They just don’t understand or have the ability to deviate from what there systems are saying.

Soldato
OP
I could probably understand it from Apple's point of view, they must get loads of people sending in damaged devices and then claiming it wasn't sent that way.

What doesn't excuse them though is not having documented the packaging. It seems unlikely that it would have arrived in a pristine box. By them disposing of the packaging you've now lost your evidence in making a claim against the courier.

Honestly your only option now is an LBA and take it through the small claims court. Have a read of the consumer rights section on MSE and you'll come across a number of threads where things have been damaged or gone missing en-route back to major retailers.

Yeah I imagine they do but sending a completely bent iPad for a power button repair would be a bit mad but I bet it happens.

I mentioned to the person about packaging but again it’s not on the script or above what they can do.

I shall have a look at the consumer rights act and formulate a plan. I shall not give in…lol

Soldato
I have thousands of pounds worth of Apple devices and tbh I'm tempted to sell the damn lot. Looks like if I want anything doing its going to have to involve legal action which is nuts.

Rant over.....

And this is why I always take photo's of anything and everything that gets sent anywhere for repair, with close up details of serial numbers etc. They tried to say an iPhone had been damaged and they need to replace the screen, prior to carry out the battery update. I supplied a photo of the device with the returns number printed on a piece of paper next to it in perfect condition (front and back) and all of a sudden it would be fixed for free, sock horror!

I challenged them what they would have done had I not had any photos they wouldn't give a response, so I made a complaint about their lies and courier service, all I got was a crap apology e-mail and £25 Apple store credit.

Soldato
Do the usual trick of starting an executive complaint. try not to come across as ranty though!

I’d imagine the email is [email protected] or something like that, copy the head of retail whoever that is. Google it to double check.

Soldato
OP
And this is why I always take photo's of anything and everything that gets sent anywhere for repair, with close up details of serial numbers etc. They tried to say an iPhone had been damaged and they need to replace the screen, prior to carry out the battery update. I supplied a photo of the device with the returns number printed on a piece of paper next to it in perfect condition (front and back) and all of a sudden it would be fixed for free, sock horror!

I challenged them what they would have done had I not had any photos they wouldn't give a response, so I made a complaint about their lies and courier service, all I got was a crap apology e-mail and £25 Apple store credit.

Yeah I normally do too just did not think sending to Apple would be an issue how wrong I was, Lesson learned.

Do the usual trick of starting an executive complaint. try not to come across as ranty though!

I’d imagine the email is [email protected] or something like that, copy the head of retail whoever that is. Google it to double check.

Just emailed [email protected] which apparently is monitored. Will see if i get a response.

Soldato
OP
Just had an update from the Senior advisor saying that I only have 2 options either pay or get back now broken iPad. Images of the packaging will not be provided as the repairs centre said it was ok and the item was damaged before shipping.

Really shady tbh. This is Apple the wonder company that seems to operate as a law itself.

I’m going to contact trading standards and see what they say but I imagine it will involve courts.

I certainly won’t be giving Apple any more of my money that’s for sure.

Soldato
That’s brutal.

Lesson learnt for all of us though, take a video of you putting the device in the package before sending/getting collected.

Seems absolutely brutal and ridiculous. You’re are rightly furious with the situation, it seems insane to me as well that they didn’t log the box once it arrived.

Associate
I've sent loads of stuff to Apple for part-exchange and never had a problem.

I suspect that the courier has broken the device in transit and flattened the package enough for goods-in not to notice.

I'd go down the courier compensation route tbh.

Associate
I'd go down the courier compensation route tbh.

Won't be an option for OP directly as they have no contract with the courier by the sounds of it, Apple arranged it:

I returned my ipad pro for an in warranty repair as the power button was loose although it still worked i thought it best to get it sorted well within the warranty. Apple send me a box and packaging so I pack it up and drop it off at the collection point. No problem so far....

Soldato
OP
Just received a call and decision is final they are sending back my now completely broken ipad. They cannot provide any evidence of the shipping packaging received as they have no contact with the repair centre. They cannot show images of the ipad confirming it is mine showing the serial as again they have no contact with the repair centre. They cannot raise the complaint any further as the Senior advisor has said it is final and I have no other options. They said I must have missed the damage when I packaged the ipad and I'm lying to say it was undamaged. I cannot raise a complaint in any way as the Senior advisor has said the decision is final. I have explained the ipad was being used up until 2 hours before it was sent but again this does not matter as the decision is final.

I said I will take legal action they said and i quote "Legal action against Apple yeah ok good luck"..

Will not be giving them any more of my money and I offer this as a warning to others how Apple can basically operate how they please and how they treat customers.

Back
Top Bottom