Lifting very old floorboards

Soldato
I think it looks great, man. At the end of the day it is a natural solid floor that has been there for ages that you are making good. It was never laid to be like the current trend of 'anthracite window and astroturf where outdoors looks like indoors' crowd.

It'll also age and develop over time. Like the saying goes, your lawn can look like mine with a 10 grand mower... several thousands of seeds and fertiliser... oh and 10 years of maintenance.

Soldato
Don't be so critical of yourself. I read the best filler is to use wood dust/shavings from the wood mixed with wood glue to hopefully provide a similar match to the wood. However best not to use the initial shavings as they are likely dirty and leave you with a brown colour.

Reason you have darker brown colour wood in some bits is probably because they haven't been touched with the sander much.

I found when using the big floor sander in our living room (4m x 5m approx) and did a pretty decent job. Just have to make sure you hit all of the spots. Did the 2nd reception and made a pig's mess of it as i rushed it as the girlfriend wanted it done asap as it is the kids toy room.

Quite a satisfying job when it comes out well. When it doesn't.. well there is always carpet :p

Associate
Think it looks fantastic and you sound happy with it. I did say at the start that it's back breaking work! :cry:

I think the slithers should age and blend more over time. You probably could have got a closer colour match with the big scary sander by getting more off the old floorboards but I don't think it matters.

God job

Soldato
Looks good and I like the videos! Also how you have amassed loads of tools.. Sounds familiar..

Are you not concerned about putting in slithers and differential degrees of contraction e.g. Due to heating causing squeeking in the boards?

Soldato
Well done James, a huge improvement over how it started. I'd expect the floor feels a lot nicer to walk on and the rom is a bit warmer now? Lots of new skills learned and the room looks great.

Please continue to post your videos of any future projects as I found them really funny! :D:D

Back
Top Bottom