• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
So this thread is just fake news then, anyone can find a GPU to buy

It's because a lot of people also game on laptops,IGPs,etc too. PC gaming is more than just the shiniest top of the line new generation dGPUs.

No, there are obviously a lot of problems with pricing & supply. But part of that is due to huge demand, because people really want to play PC games right now. Many people are making do with what they have, what they can get their hands on, what they can get passed down to them by a freind or family member etc.

No doubt if the current situation were to continue forever, it would dent the appeal of PC gaming, but it won't continue forever.

Also people here are forgetting console demand is up too....because of the pandemic more people are stuck at home instead of going out.

Associate
Oops, yes it was a 3080Ti. Things an absolute beast. Turned HL Alyx upto 11 and its still running smooth, even with a wireless connection. Can hear the fans picking up, happy I didn't try and get the 3080 or 3070.

Everything I've thrown at it runs buttery smooth cranked right up on 3440x1440 and 4k with DLSS off :)
Must be nice! Have a 2080 Ti and HL:A is incredible on that and very smooth already so being able to crank even further would be great :D

Associate
Oops, yes it was a 3080Ti. Things an absolute beast. Turned HL Alyx upto 11 and its still running smooth, even with a wireless connection. Can hear the fans picking up, happy I didn't try and get the 3080 or 3070.

You're happy you didn't try to get a GPU at half the price that performs 90-95% the performance of the GPU you actually got? That's genuinely disturbing... bordering on marketing brain washing tbh

Associate
You're happy you didn't try to get a GPU at half the price that performs 90-95% the performance of the GPU you actually got? That's genuinely disturbing... bordering on marketing brain washing tbh

Yeah, I don't get that. I don't get the 3080ti either, FE or otherwise. Much more cost for 5-10% more performance and a bit more memory, just do not understand that card.

Associate
I seem to come back to this thread regularly with a predictable post cycle:

1) I'm done looking for a new GPU
2) Prices are insane
3) I'm still looking for a new GPU as I want one more than ever

Buuuuut... I somehow got a 3090 FE in the latest drop! So this makes post type:

4) I'm absolutely not looking for a new GPU again (until the RTX 4000 / RDNA 3 series)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Kind of the opposite. The prices have turned OCUK into a support group of some sort.

I get that yeah. I guess so.

For me it's more of the sort of thinking, "Well there's more tech launched for sale that I refuse to pay these prices for" type stuff, which kind of, for me anyway, makes me think why go to the forums to read of people paying £1000+ for a 3080, when I'll never pay that out of principle.

Soldato
Here's another slant to this thread....anyone started to browse the OCUK forums less now, too due to the stupid prices of technology?

I almost never visit these sections now. Any new tech has lost the appeal because it'll either be horribly expensive to start or scalped.

I check in every now and then and if this thread is still on the first page I know it's still the same story. :cry:

Soldato
I get that yeah. I guess so.

For me it's more of the sort of thinking, "Well there's more tech launched for sale that I refuse to pay these prices for" type stuff, which kind of, for me anyway, makes me think why go to the forums to read of people paying £1000+ for a 3080, when I'll never pay that out of principle.

It could also help you , helped me find out how to get founder edition card from Nvidia drop alert groups to join and how to set up alerts managed to get 3080FE £649 + postage around £11 ;)

Soldato
I almost never visit these sections now. Any new tech has lost the appeal because it'll either be horribly expensive to start or scalped.

I check in every now and then and if this thread is still on the first page I know it's still the same story. :cry:

Well the latest Intel CPU line is in stock and very well priced which is quite refreshing.

Associate
I genuinely can't believe there's a thread about this that's 186 pages long. I decided to come visit following the 3080 12 GB release and see if the mania has continued since I was last on here; it has.

Before the pandemic: I picked up a used GTX 1080 for £170 into a sling-it-together-with-spares build. Now they're who knows how much on the used marketplaces.

On the heels of the 3080 release (thinking the upgrade from a 2080 Ti to a 3080 would be easy to swallow for £100), I sold my 2080 Ti for £550 (yep, five hundred and fifty pounds), but refused to checkout with a 3080 when OcUK increased the price by £80 during basket to checkout (went from £650 to £730). I vividly recall scoffing at the increase and closing the browser. I certainly regret not committing to the purchase but, alas, how was I to know demand would become so astronomically high.

Fortunately, I didn't wait around and jumped on a 3090 for significantly less than RRP when the opportunity came up (as I was now GPU-less). The prices for those now are just beyond my understanding, and it was extremely hard to swallow at the time given the price/perf difference. The market has simply reached a level of insanity as the years have gone by and the pandemic entrenched. Who needs a dGPU this much, honestly...? I know quite a few people that decided against next gen consoles (historically always console gamers) and purchased cards from scalpers.

If everyone could just go back to thinking PC gaming was "really expensive" that would be great. Now it truly is really expensive.

Caporegime
Prices continuing to drop on the high street second had place.

For it to normalise, Crypto needs to drop further. In the summer last year, crypto tanked and all of a sudden there was some supply at not too insane prices. We had OCUK selling decently priced AIB 3060ti's and 3060's, and 3060ti's FE's were in stock for an hour at one point.

I think once ETH mining ends this year there will be a massive change as well, and likely a glut of cards for sale. We will have the 3050 and Intel A380 released soon as well to hopefully prop up the low-mid range market, and Nvidia themselves have come out to say they expect supply to improve by mid year onwards.

Soldato
It could also help you , helped me find out how to get founder edition card from Nvidia drop alert groups to join and how to set up alerts managed to get 3080FE £649 + postage around £11 ;)

If I hadn't been on this forum, I doubt I would have found out about the Telegram part alert thing. That's how I got my card.

I am very grateful to the people who posted about that.

Associate
I think the forum has functioned well as a technology self help group as everyone has faced the same thing - their hobby and main leisure fun transitioning into something unaffordable to many. Could do with a few decent new ‘pc-type’ strat/RPG/squad tactical games to make it all worthwhile too…

Soldato
been out of touch for a while in the pc world, i know things have gone mad while looking at Alderlake. Bought a 3070Ti today, it was from a well known catalogue company and it was £200 cheaper than any PC shop!! WTF ridiculous times

Back
Top Bottom