Question for those with 7 seaters & young kids

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on an MPV or SUV which has 7 seats where they are able to get people into the third row without having to remove any ISO-Fix child seat from the middle row?

I think perhaps the answer may be to look for a car with 2 individual captain seats for the middle row, but curious to see if any allow it with 3 in the middle.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Q7. I've just got one because it has 3 ISOFIX points in the second row and I don't want to change if sprog 3 comes along any time soon.
I've gone for the hybrid, which loses the rear-most seats (and ultimately its USP), but **** it.
And you don't have to give up on life.

However, if you must give up on life, get a VW Caravelle

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
My mate's Chrysler Grand Voyager 2008 has two full size seats in the middle that would allow access to the rear bench seat without removing any child seats on them.
Thanks. Yes I've looked at them extensively but the non-ulez and poor interior kept putting me off. It may have to be though.

An Alambra or Sharan or Galaxy spec'd with the 2 captain chairs in the middle row are a bit more appealing.

Q7. I've just got one because it has 3 ISOFIX points in the second row and I don't want to change if sprog 3 comes along any time soon.
I've gone for the hybrid, which loses the rear-most seats (and ultimately its USP), but **** it.
And you don't have to give up on life.

However, if you must give up on life, get a VW Caravelle
Can you get people into the back without removing a baby seat? (I know you've not got the rear seats but still) I thought they fold forward crushing whatever is in the seat?

Caravelle is another choice with the 2 captain seats on the middle row, but hoping for something less of a van.

Man 7 seater

gave up on life
Interesting comment... how so?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Unless you remove the middle seat in row 2 (which I assume would make the vehicle a 6 seater), the only way that springs to mind would be if the jump seats in row 3 face backwards, which I believe some Volvo and Merc estates did. No idea if an MPV or SUV offers that.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks. Yes I've looked at them extensively but the non-ulez and poor interior kept putting me off. It may have to be though.

An Alambra or Sharan or Galaxy spec'd with the 2 captain chairs in the middle row are a bit more appealing.

Can you get people into the back without removing a baby seat? (I know you've not got the rear seats but still) I thought they fold forward crushing whatever is in the seat?

Caravelle is another choice with the 2 captain seats on the middle row, but hoping for something less of a van.
Sharalaxy is a van as well. But a VW T6 is the coolest van around!

Fair point about removing the baby seat from the middle row in the Q7; not something I thought about. I know you have to tilt the backrest forward to access, so I guess you would have to remove the seat.
Unless you put the baby seats in the middle and outer, leaving the other outer seat free, giving you access to the back. You can also slide the middle row forwards and backwards giving more access.

BMW X7, V-Class (clearly a van). New Ford Explorer is cavernous as well, but not sure you can get in without removing the car seat

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Unless you remove the middle seat in row 2 (which I assume would make the vehicle a 6 seater), the only way that springs to mind would be if the jump seats in row 3 face backwards, which I believe some Volvo and Merc estates did. No idea if an MPV or SUV offers that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just found one E class which has those seats and is ULEZ compliant, but I was aiming for an MPV or larger SUV over an estate due to there being more leg room for the middle row. With me being so tall and my kids growing so quickly they were already getting cramped sitting behind me in my 5 series estate.

Regarding the removal of the middle seat, a 6 seater wouldn't be too bad of an option really. Do they allow the middle to be removed on some?

BMW X7, V-Class (clearly a van).
Yeh X7 would be great but can't afford or rather don't want to spend so much on a depreciating asset.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion, I've just found one E class which has those seats and is ULEZ compliant, but I was aiming for an MPV or larger SUV over an estate due to there being more leg room for the middle row. With me being so tall and my kids growing so quickly they were already getting cramped sitting behind me in my 5 series estate.

Regarding the removal of the middle seat, a 6 seater wouldn't be too bad of an option really. Do they allow the middle to be removed on some?

Yeh X7 would be great but can't afford or rather don't want to spend so much on a depreciating asset.
Fair enough! You can remove the middle seat in a Q7, making a 6-seater. Somewhat of a bodge though
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/removal-2nd-row-center-seat-2916454/page3/

Cadillac Escalade with an LPG conversion? :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The Galaxy I was drove certainly did. Can’t comment on others, but I assume that Parker’s would include that detail.

For a big MPV, I’d be inclined to go for a poke around in Galaxy/Sharon, SMAx and similar.

I’m currently thinking about an MPV for our next car, but don’t need a huge one. They might not be considered as great for one’s image, but at least they’re not offensive like most SUVs (or at least how they’re often driven).

Soldato
I had a 7 seater Merc estate, good car but when fully loaded with 7 there isn't much room in the boot, this is a problem with other 7 seaters too but at least in those you still have some boot space that is separated by the back of the third row so your rear most passengers don't end up holding everything on their lap.

I've just bought a Kodiaq as my Merc got written off over Xmas. No idea if you can get in the back row with car seats in place though.

edit/ a van with captain seats would be the most practical option but it depends on how ofter you have 7 people in it. I was going to get a Toyota Proace Verso with captain chairs but cancelled it and went with the Kodiaq as I don't always carry 7.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Fair enough! You can remove the middle seat in a Q7, making a 6-seater. Somewhat of a bodge though
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/removal-2nd-row-center-seat-2916454/page3/
Now that is an interesting solution! Thank you :)

The Galaxy I was drove certainly did. Can’t comment on others, but I assume that Parker’s would include that detail.

For a big MPV, I’d be inclined to go for a poke around in Galaxy/Sharon, SMAx and similar.

I’m currently thinking about an MPV for our next car, but don’t need a huge one. They might not be considered as great for one’s image, but at least they’re not offensive like most SUVs (or at least how they’re often driven).
Thanks, yeh I'm thinking it may end up being one of those - definitely need to give them a look over. Are there still reliability issues with the powershift autos in galaxy's?

I had a 7 seater Merc estate, good car but when fully loaded with 7 there isn't much room in the boot, this is a problem with other 7 seaters too but at least in those you still have some boot space that is separated by the back of the third row so your rear most passengers don't end up holding everything on their lap.

I've just bought a Kodiaq as my Merc got written off over Xmas. No idea if you can get in the back row with car seats in place though.

edit/ a van with captain seats would be the most practical option but it depends on how ofter you have 7 people in it. I was going to get a Toyota Proace Verso with captain chairs but cancelled it and went with the Kodiaq as I don't always carry 7.
Thanks :) Would you be able to have a gander at your seats in the kodiaq to see if any fitted seat may get crushed, or if the middle seat of the middle row can be folded/removed?

Soldato
Now that is an interesting solution! Thank you :)

Thanks, yeh I'm thinking it may end up being one of those - definitely need to give them a look over. Are there still reliability issues with the powershift autos in galaxy's?

Thanks :) Would you be able to have a gander at your seats in the kodiaq to see if any fitted seat may get crushed, or if the middle seat of the middle row can be folded/removed?

I've got a Kodiaq aswell so will check later today. I'd say very unlikely though.

Also worth noting my Isofix car seat also connects to the seatbelt which would prevent the seat moving. For the purpose of the test I'll remove the seatbelt from the carseat so it'll just have the 2 isofix and top tether in place.

Worth also noting there is no isofix on the middle seat of the second row or front seat (although I think the latter was a £50 option).

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've got a Kodiaq aswell so will check later today. I'd say very unlikely though.

Also worth noting my Isofix car seat also connects to the seatbelt which would prevent the seat moving. For the purpose of the test I'll remove the seatbelt from the carseat so it'll just have the 2 isofix and top tether in place.

Worth also noting there is no isofix on the middle seat of the second row or front seat (although I think the latter was a £50 option).
This £50 option for front ISOFIX is infuriating. Audi do the same :mad:

I had a look at a Kodiaq last weekend; it's the same as the Q7. You can't get in the back without tilting the second row seat forward.

Soldato
This £50 option for front ISOFIX is infuriating. Audi do the same :mad:

I had a look at a Kodiaq last weekend; it's the same as the Q7. You can't get in the back without tilting the second row seat forward.
Apparently those little bitty £50 options are the only way to signal to the designers people want these options :(

It was really annoying as on my Jag XF and XE the rear folding seats were a £50 option that were 'forgotten' to be ticked! The XF I could retrofit but the XE was welded upright. So annoying.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP

Thank you that's really appreciated. Yes, my eldests car seat also attaches to the seat belt but is easily unfixed (bit of velcro and clip threading etc.)

At the moment, 2 iso fix seats are fine for me, I'm not sure how you'd fit 3 in a row anyway unless you had special child seats or perhaps the one in the middle be a rear facing baby seat.

Soldato

Are you sure you aren't going a bit OTT here? The point of ISOFIX is you do not need the seat belt. The seat belt attachment is for folk who do not have ISOFIX.

Back
Top Bottom