• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 12gb

Associate
I kind of feel like if it wasn't for the pandemic (and everything else), the 30XX generation was going to be a golden age for consumer GPUs. Cards like the 3060 ti and 3080 blew their previous generation out the water in terms of bang per buck.

Unfortunately the legacy of this generation now is that people (including us) are prepared to spend stupid money on GPUs; the 30XX generation has demonstrated that Nvidia can charge double/triple and they'll still fly off shelves.

Soldato
It's easy to forget that the 2080 RRP was like £750 (if I recall correctly); the 3080 RRP was extremely competitive.

yeah the overpriced comment is usually because its not what people think they should pay its personal opinion I've seen comments where they think it should be £300-£400. Plus its a really good engineered product not like FE's of old. The cooler is meant to have cost $150 to Nvidia. If you believe the reports.

The 980 on OCUK was £319 at just over £100 per generation on top £649 is about the right price for an arguably better product all round. The 2080ti was £1150-£1400 which is where I think Nvidia continued their trend of £1050 for the 3080ti because people bought the 2080ti at that price and made it profitable for Nvidia to charge that much. So okay blame Nvidia for overpriced GPU's but also blame the general public for buying it that price for making it profitable.

Whether its worth that much who knows I bought 2 x 980ti's from OCUK for £620.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah the overpriced comment is usually because its not what people think they should pay its personal opinion.

The 980 on OCUK was £319 at just over £100 per generation on top £649 is about the right price.

What justifies the £100 per generation? Up until that point tech got cheaper for the same performance or faster for around the same money.

That pretty much died with the 900 series and the prices escalated from the 1000 series and on to the point they are just silly and the supernatural profits started to set in.

Oh yeh, their competition fell off a cliff like intels.

Associate
OP
The only problem there is the 7800gtx was the top card so your comparison is with the 3090 price and not the 3080.

Only the 3090 isn't a main stream card, it's a halo product that virtually nobody buys for gaming. Unlike the 7800gtx, which was very widely available and popular card.

So the comparison with the 3080fe is a fair one.

Soldato
:cry:
What justifies the £100 per generation? Up until that point tech got cheaper for the same performance or faster for around the same money.

That pretty much died with the 900 series and the prices escalated from the 1000 series and on to the point they are just silly and the supernatural profits started to set in.

Oh yeh, their competition fell off a cliff like intels.

Saying "tech got cheaper" is hand in hand with "overpriced". Its just personal opinion without any foundation of fact. If anything "tech" is more expensive to produce. Things dont get cheaper generally nowadays but thats just my opinion and I am happy to admit it.

Anyway in my opinion £649 is a good price. I will leave it there. If you dont like it which you obviously dont then vote with your wallet.

Soldato
Only the 3090 isn't a main stream card, it's a halo product that virtually nobody buys for gaming. Unlike the 7800gtx, which was very widely available and popular card.

So the comparison with the 3080fe is a fair one.

It's not a Halo product it's just priced crap. It does nothing the 3080 cant. It's even the same chip as the 3080 which is a cut down 3090. Since when were top chips classed as Halo products. If the 3090 had Titan ability's and the driver i would possibly put it in the halo class but it hasn't. So to me it's just Nvidias top graphics chip with a stupid price tag. We used to get 2 top end chips on one board cheaper than the 3090.

Soldato
:cry:

Saying "tech got cheaper" is hand in hand with "overpriced". Its just personal opinion without any foundation of fact. If anything "tech" is more expensive to produce. Things dont get cheaper generally nowadays but thats just my opinion and I am happy to admit it.
Tech should become cheaper or better over time, take an 2016 55inch LG OLED for example vs a 2021 model which is not only better but also far cheaper it's just that Gpus don't seem to follow this pattern.

Associate
Tech should become cheaper or better over time

Regarding GPUs, it's gotten significantly better over time. I'm not sure your TV example holds because a 2016 OLED is the same technology as a 2021 OLED (more or less). A 2021 GPU is significantly more advanced than a 2016 GPU (try running a Ray Traced game on a 2016 GPU)

Last edited:
Soldato
They used to until they realised they could save their best cores and charge £999 for them in a Titan where other cards were under £500 and people lapped it up like it was going out of fashion.

Apple famously did the same thing in the phone market. A £1000 mainstream phone was unheard of before the iPhone X, now Samsung has models that retail above £1500 that sell more than enough units to make it worth their while making.

Associate
OP
It's not a Halo product it's just priced crap. It does nothing the 3080 cant. It's even the same chip as the 3080 which is a cut down 3090. Since when were top chips classed as Halo products. If the 3090 had Titan ability's and the driver i would possibly put it in the halo class but it hasn't. So to me it's just Nvidias top graphics chip with a stupid price tag. We used to get 2 top end chips on one board cheaper than the 3090.

Who needs 24gb of vram? Certainly not a gamer.

If nvidia had the same business practices in 2005 as they do today. The would have released a 7800gtx with 2gb of vram and charged £800 for it. When the 256mb version was fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
A 2021 GPU is significantly more advanced than a 2016 GPU (try running a Ray Traced game on a 2016 GPU)
I think the 6500xt is a good example of performance stagnation and price increases over that period and I'm not sure the RT would even be usable outside of 720p 30fps.

Yeah we have better cards now but the price increase % outstrips the performance increases in most cases other than founders editions.

Soldato
Tech should become cheaper or better over time, take an 2016 55inch LG OLED for example vs a 2021 model which is not only better but also far cheaper it's just that Gpus don't seem to follow this pattern.

Yeah but TV's are mass produced in massive volumes more so than GPU's you cant compare them as they are classed as niche when it comes to TV production. Plus I was talking about production costs not price to the consumer. Television manufacturers get there money back through volume of sales. For instance the tech behind both is vastly different I would imagine for instance R&D GPU is a lot more expensive than R&D for TV's.

Soldato
Which needs 24gb of vram? Certainly not a gamer.

If you think about it, it actually makes perfect sense.

Lets be honest, a 3080ti was always on the cards from day one. For the 3090 to make any sense it needs something to differentiate it from the 3080ti and the 3080 given they are all within 10% of each other.

The only way to increase the VRAM was to double it and it looks great on a spec sheet.

The AMD equivalents also look great on a spec sheet with their 16gb, half of which is unused in nearly all games. The only difference here is that 8gb wouldn’t have been enough for the higher tier cards

Back
Top Bottom