Smart Plugs that also monitor electricity usage?

Associate
I have two dehumidifiers that are in constant use. As a family of five we always have clothes out drying, especially over winter, and to avoid damp issues I have a dehumidifier upstairs and downstairs. They're set to come on at a certain level, so cycling on and off. I'd love to know how much they cost to run, mainly as part of a cost cutting exercise.

There are loads of plug-in energy monitors on the likes of Amazon, with reviews varying wildly from 5/5 to 1/5. I'd love a smart solution, so I can monitor via a phone app and maybe even control the plug as well, hence looking for recommendations on a smart plug.

Thanks

Associate
I've got one of the Kasa plugs too and it's spot on. Doesn't have hourly graphs or any of the fancy stuff though if you needed it, just tracks real time usage and usage over the past 1/7/30 days.

Soldato
Make sure you get the *10 models, across any vendor it seems (e.g. I have TP-Link HS100 but the HS110s are the only ones with power monitoring). I also have the TP-Link P100s but it is the P110s with power monitoring...

Soldato
Could always speak with your energy provider to install a smart meter? Should be done anywa but saves money on additional plugs.

Associate
OP
Whatever they cost to run its cheaper than fixing a damp problem :p

Just make sure you have a big wash day and try and get loads done.

This has always been my thinking. ;) It's just a shame a big wash day happens three times a week. :o

Soldato
This has always been my thinking. ;) It's just a shame a big wash day happens three times a week. :o
I know your pain honestly. For some reason despite best endeavours on training we always end up like half a wash every day instead of a big wash on 1 day. The dehumidifier is right behind me and gives me a right headache.

I can tell you now on my smart meter though, when we use the dehumidifier it definitely makes a noticeable difference (+£2/3 quid).

Associate
OP
I know your pain honestly. For some reason despite best endeavours on training we always end up like half a wash every day instead of a big wash on 1 day. The dehumidifier is right behind me and gives me a right headache.

I can tell you now on my smart meter though, when we use the dehumidifier it definitely makes a noticeable difference (+£2/3 quid).

I was with Avro but got switched to Octopus when they went under. My dd has been upped to nearly £150pm! I need to reduce it. Thing is, three kids and a house full of tech (and washing!) doesn't help. :D

Could always speak with your energy provider to install a smart meter? Should be done anywa but saves money on additional plugs.

I used to fit smart meters and to be honest, I'm not ready for one yet.

Soldato
I can recommend the gosund ones on Amazon.

I've got gosund, meross and kasa.

The kasa one is overly chunky, and tplink aren't particularly open with their API compared to the others.

Soldato
Has anyone used the Ener-J SHA5264 energy monitoring plugs?
They seem to be one of the cheapest (£11.76 from CPC) but can't find a review of them.

I can recommend the gosund ones on Amazon.

Looks like Amazon aren't currently stocking them, although they do look a bit like some on AliExpress/Banggood.

Soldato
Has anyone used the Ener-J SHA5264 energy monitoring plugs?
They seem to be one of the cheapest (£11.76 from CPC) but can't find a review of them.

Looks like Amazon aren't currently stocking them, although they do look a bit like some on AliExpress/Banggood.

They're pretty much all tuya based anyway.

Soldato
what is the power rating of the dehumidifiers - if they have AC induction motors that pull a lot of current , that might be a measurement/reliability challenge for some smart plugs,
googles not telling me the answer
I think my pressure 3KW pressure washer could kill my smart plug that came from now defunct hight street electronics store.

Back
Top Bottom