AIBU - Mercedes Main Dealer Issue

Soldato
Hello,

So back at the start of December i had my E350 MOT'd, by an Indy i always use. They are strict on their MOT's so i like that. Come back no Advisories.

23rd December i took the car to Mercedes Dealer for a Full Service, Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Brake Fluid etc

They done the usual health check and sent me the video. On the Video the Technician said the OSR Coil Spring was broke. He showed on the video but to be honest you can't see anything broke, inside where the spring meets the suspension, very hard to see anything in there without letting the wheel down. Just rusty. He also said it is an MOT failure so needs to be fixed right away. Although he labelled it as an advisory on the sheet.

Picked up the car spoke to service guy and he told me the same thing it needs to be sorted. Quote me over £500 to have both replaced as they recommend they get done at the same time.

Took my car back to my Indy and asked them to look as its strange its broken since the MOT was only 2 weeks before. Myself and 2 guys spent ages looking and could not find a break. We even got a mirror and was looking all in the bottom of the spring to see but could not see a break, like i said it was just rusty. But thats to be expected.

I ordered two anyway and asked them to take a look, but obviously to do that you need to take it all apart to get the spring off so we agreed, he'd do that and replace them both £80 for a pair of springs is nothing really.

Had them done today and neither spring is broke or even remotely cracked. Indy changed em both anyway cos they spent ages taking it apart to look, so i said may as well change them cos cost will be the same regardless.

I called MB and asked them why they told me they needed replacing when they didn't. Obviously they denied it and told me they won't do anything. Bit of back and forth ensued and i told them i will bring the springs to them this afternoon to look over. Service manager told me, it was only an advisory i get it done so its on myself and my issue. I asked if they would have still charged me £500+ to change them then if they found they didn't need doing he never had an answer for that.

Am i wrong in thinking they should at least give me the money for the spring they told me needs replacing ?

In total i have spent £80 for springs and £90 for labour

Pics of the spring

Top of the spring.

Bottom where is was said it was broke

Again the bottom. Can't see any break

Bottom

Caporegime
Your choice to change the springs after the second inspection told you of no damage.

I can see your annoyance at MB, but no they should not pay you anything for the parts, you should have not changed them and returned the unused items.

Associate
Sneaky of them to tell you something needed replacing when it didn't but I don't think that's really anything new for a main dealer, but no they owe you nothing IMO.

Soldato
OP
Your choice to change the springs after the second inspection told you of no damage.

I can see your annoyance at MB, but no they should not pay you anything for the parts, you should have not changed them and returned the unused items.
I get that.

I'd of still been down £90 for the labour costs of them actually taking the suspension down to get a proper look.

Well half that. £45 cos £90 for was for both sides.

Soldato
OP
Sneaky of them to tell you something needed replacing when it didn't but I don't think that's really anything new for a main dealer, but no they owe you nothing IMO.
I mean its so hard to see on the video, not sure how the Tech could really say it was broke. More worrying they'd happily take £500 though do it. They deffo would not of said it did not need doing once they realised.

Soldato

Agree. Stop spending money at the dealership if your car is outside warranty period.

Associate
I mean its so hard to see on the video, not sure how the Tech could really say it was broke. More worrying they'd happily take £500 though do it. They deffo would not of said it did not need doing once they realised.

They'll happily take all the money in the world from anyone and everyone. They probably thought it was something you wouldn't check up on and would happily pay them for, hence them now denying it.

Soldato
The problem (imo) with main dealers is they often pay a poor basic salary, but have an open ended bonus scheme.
I've recently left the dealer network after most of my working life (30+ years and a long time with Mercedes) as a techy and i doubt i'll go back.
This is how the bonus system worked at my last two techy jobs (Lexus/Toyota & Mercedes).
You are expected to hit 8.5 hours of productive work a day and any hours over are paid at £16 per hour.
I could easily do 15 MOT's a day, so it's easy to work out how lucrative it is to work quickly.
The problem lays in techs rushing so much that they're missing stuff or (and i've seen it a lot) just not fitting service parts because it takes too long.
On the flip side, some techs will report things in red that don't really need doing as the FRT (flat rate time) is very generous, for instance, pads and discs would have a FRT of 1.5 (which is 90 minutes) and the job could be done in say 30 minutes.
It really is a terrible system as it does encourage the techs to either rush through their work, or worse, blatantly rip the customer off.
Service advisors will get an upsell bonus, so it's in their interest to sell the customer work that's marked down in amber or red in the video or eVHC.
The only real winner is the dealer as they're charging £170 per hour for the sold work, and £16 to the tech isn't a whole deal to them.
It's self funding.
I will say that the vast majority of techs don't give a stuff about the bonus as they'd rather do the job properly, but it causes a problem when the guy on the next ramp is earning £2k in bonus a month and they're not.

Rant over :D

Soldato
Them springs look new to me....but I drive 10 year old cars and vans.

Clearly nothing wrong with them.

Maybe threaten them with trading standards? Not sure what it would get you tho. I wouldn't risk going back to them after a complaint, so not worth getting free "stuff" in the future

Soldato
I'd imagine the chances of getting anything financial from them are slim to none and far more effort than it's worth given you seem to be out ~£170 total.

Saying that, just out of spite I'd be tempted to email the dealer principal and <someone> at Mercedes Benz HQ a nicely worded 'rant' about their attempt to fleece you out of £500 for work that didn't need doing. It almost certainly won't result in anything but hey...

Soldato
OP
Them springs look new to me....but I drive 10 year old cars and vans.

Clearly nothing wrong with them.

Maybe threaten them with trading standards? Not sure what it would get you tho. I wouldn't risk going back to them after a complaint, so not worth getting free "stuff" in the future
The car is 2009 lol

Not sure if they have ever been changed before or if so when. I do have all the previous receipts at home, so may check one evening when i am bored.

Soldato
I get that.

I'd of still been down £90 for the labour costs of them actually taking the suspension down to get a proper look.

Well half that. £45 cos £90 for was for both sides.

When I get mine serviced and get the video, the mechanic doing it is always saying things like "tyres are cracking at the edges, and that is dangerous".

Good to know you got it done at 1/3rd of the price though!

Soldato
Welcome to main dealer 'servicing'.

Save yourself the hassle and small fortune by getting your services done at your reputable Indy.

Soldato
OP
Spoken to the dealer.

They have decided the wording from the Tech on the video was wrong and the springs are not broken. So they will refund my invoice.

Not sure if they mean both for parts and labour or just one or the other. Either way i should get £80 back so i’m happy with that.

Sgarrista
Commissario
All main dealers have to flag even minor /non issues for replacement if they are under the big chains, on the hope people who dont know better just authorize the work.

Here was the costings of some of mine on the last service....

2022-01-14-18-15-29-Vehicle-Health-Check-from-Lamborghini-Birmingham-Mozilla-Firefox.png

The guy who did the check even admitted he knew some parts were things I have intentionally done, but they have to flag them as part of their job.

Caporegime
BMW main dealer tried the same, seeping bleednut on the caliper - £700 to replace. Wouldn't just tighten the bleed nut because "if they made it worse they would be liable". Had it checked multiple times, never any sign of a leak.

Soldato
Complain to MB it will probably get you nothing but it will waste a load of the dealerships time and make you feel better. After a fall out with a VW dealership a few years back I will never give a main dealer a single penny again if I can avoid it, they even proved incapable of writing an apology much like the current PM!

Soldato
OP
Spoken to the dealer.

They have decided the wording from the Tech on the video was wrong and the springs are not broken. So they will refund my invoice.

Not sure if they mean both for parts and labour or just one or the other. Either way i should get £80 back so i’m happy with that.

Complain to MB it will probably get you nothing but it will waste a load of the dealerships time and make you feel better. After a fall out with a VW dealership a few years back I will never give a main dealer a single penny again if I can avoid it, they even proved incapable of writing an apology much like the current PM!

I already replied. They have agreed to honor the invoice, so i should get either the cost of parts or labour back which i’m happy with.

Back
Top Bottom