• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-5930K Upgrade to What?

Soldato
I currently have:

i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz
Asus Rampage V
16GB DDR4 2666
RTX 3080 FE

Generally my CPU has been fine in the majority of games I play but its really limiting me in Escape from Tarkov so looking at upgrading. This game really likes single threaded performance.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are upgrading now either to an AMD or Intel system vs waiting x time for AM5?

My RAM is 4x4GB. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to 32GB but may have to sideline that due to cost for now. CPU would be watercooled.

I want the option of being able to stream as well, though I will use NVENC.

Soldato
12900k on a Z690 motherboard would be ideal. It has the best gaming performance of any CPU, as well as the lowest gaming power consumption for a high end CPU.

You'll get PCI-Ev5, DDR5 and a drop in upgrade path to 13th gen Raptor Lake, which is set to release later this year.

Soldato
Prices are a little all over place at the moment, but you have a lot of options that will be a big upgrade. The 4x4gb of 2666 memory could cause some performance issues. It would be useful to know the spec of memory particularly if it dual or single rank.

Permabanned
I currently have:

i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz
Asus Rampage V
16GB DDR4 2666
RTX 3080 FE

Generally my CPU has been fine in the majority of games I play but its really limiting me in Escape from Tarkov so looking at upgrading. This game really likes single threaded performance.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are upgrading now either to an AMD or Intel system vs waiting x time for AM5?

My RAM is 4x4GB. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to 32GB but may have to sideline that due to cost for now. CPU would be watercooled.

I want the option of being able to stream as well, though I will use NVENC.

To what?!
To wait. Ryzen with Zen 4 update scheduled for some time in the second half of this year. Hopefully.

Caporegime
If you want something now then Alder Lake, especially for single threaded performance as you mentioned. Their single thread performance is well ahead of Zen at the moment.

If you can wait till Q3 or Q4 this year then you could see what Zen 4 has to offer. Could be waiting till near the end of the year potentially though.

Soldato
It's not guaranteed to be a drop in upgrade path, and all Raptor Lake looks set to bring is more "E" cores, so hardly an exciting upgrade.

This post is not correct. All leaks/rumours have stated Raptor Lake is a new architecture (new core architecture for with P and E cores), improved cache structure, as well as having 8 more E cores. Also several leaks showing Z690 drop in upgrade compatible

There have been so many leaks over the last few months I don't have time to link you all, here's one to hand https://wccftech.com/intel-13th-gen...32-threads-1-8-ghz-clocks-no-avx-512-support/

Feel free to link to your sources, where you believe it's just 8 core E cores, nothing else :)

Don
Feel free to link to your sources, where you believe it's just 8 core E cores, nothing else :)

I can't cite anything, because other than clickbait rubbish from wccftech and videocardz there isn't anything around :)

Edit:
Case in point, even your WCCFTech "article" can't make it's mind up - within the space of 3 paragraphs it's got 3 different speculations! :D

Replacing the Intel Alder Lake-S 12th Gen Core family, the Intel Raptor Lake-S lineup will be part of the 13th Gen Core family and feature two brand new core architectures. These architectures will be featuring Raptor Cove as performance cores & an enhanced Gracemont core which will be serving as efficiency cores.

According to previously leaked data, the lineup will consist of three segments that were leaked out in the recent power recommendations. These include the 'K' series enthusiast SKUs rated at 125W, 65W mainstream SKUs, and 35W low-power SKUs. Coming to the top-end variants, we will be getting up to 24 cores followed by 16 core, 10 core, 4 core, and 2 core variants. The SKUs are detailed below:

• Intel Core i9 K-Series (8 Golden + 16 Grace) = 24 Cores / 32 Threads / 36 MB

Permabanned
It won't be a new architecture. Only a significantly updated old one, and if the Intel users are lucky, they might eventually see some double-digit performance increases.

Soldato
I can't cite anything, because other than clickbait rubbish from wccftech and videocardz there isn't anything around :)

Edit:
Case in point, even your WCCFTech "article" can't make it's mind up - within the space of 3 paragraphs it's got 3 different speculations! :D

So you have no sources for your claim? Understood.

As for clickbait sites such as Videocardz, wccftech - it's been this way for many decades. Every new GPU/CPU generation is leaked the same way.... Surely you've seen this over the years?

For Raptor Lake, we've seen multiple leaks confirming the following:

1. 8 core 'E' cores
2. New architecture: P cores - "Raptor Cove", E cores - "Enhanced Gracemont"
3. Improved cache
4. Z690 compatible

I linked you to one source earlier today. Here's another, different article, confirming much of the above, though doesn't mention Z690 > https://wccftech.com/intel-13th-gen...r-alder-lake-for-enhanced-gaming-performance/

Don
1. 8 core 'E' cores
2. New architecture: P cores - "Raptor Cove", E cores - "Enhanced Gracemont"
3. Improved cache
4. Z690 compatible

Yawn. So you provide another WCCF link that provides the same "information".

Fairly sure I didn't dispute point 1 - I in fact said raptor lake brings moar corez.

2. So how can you argue 2 new architectures earlier when you have just said "improved gracemont"? If it's still a variant of gracemont it isn't a new architecture

3. The article you linked says up to 55% improved cache performance, but then goes on to waffle on about cache size... Well doh if you add more cores then you add more cache anyway.

4. Z690 support is likely (given the bring up board the leaks have been shown on says alder lake/rocket lake in its title). Likely doesn't however mean guaranteed. Other intel chips (coffee lake?) in the past have been proven to be compatible with older chipsets only to be artificially restricted.

Soldato
Yawn. So you provide another WCCF link that provides the same "information".

Fairly sure I didn't dispute point 1 - I in fact said raptor lake brings moar corez.

2. So how can you argue 2 new architectures earlier when you have just said "improved gracemont"? If it's still a variant of gracemont it isn't a new architecture

3. The article you linked says up to 55% improved cache performance, but then goes on to waffle on about cache size... Well doh if you add more cores then you add more cache anyway.

4. Z690 support is likely (given the bring up board the leaks have been shown on says alder lake/rocket lake in its title). Likely doesn't however mean guaranteed. Other intel chips (coffee lake?) in the past have been proven to be compatible with older chipsets only to be artificially restricted.

1. I'm glad you're able to read that Raptor Lake has more cores
2. I argued Raptor Lake has a new architecture. I went into specifics regarding the architecture changes for P and E cores. P cores (most important component) = new architecture. E cores (less important) = enhanced architecture. The sum of all parts, RPL = new architecuture.
3. Best to read the article before assuming, or did you read it and not understand? It's not just more cache as a side effect as more cores, it's more total cache per core.
4. Z690 support has been leaked multiple times, so seems pretty certain. Up to you if you want to keep praying it's not though

Soldato
1. I'm glad you're able to read that Raptor Lake has more cores
2. I argued Raptor Lake has a new architecture. I went into specifics regarding the architecture changes for P and E cores. P cores (most important component) = new architecture. E cores (less important) = enhanced architecture. The sum of all parts, RPL = new architecuture.
3. Best to read the article before assuming, or did you read it and not understand? It's not just more cache as a side effect as more cores, it's more total cache per core.
4. Z690 support has been leaked multiple times, so seems pretty certain. Up to you if you want to keep praying it's not though
Dave, can we stop arguing about stuff that is yet to pass? Do you remember the stuff you said about Rocketlake and look how that turned out.

The future is not written in stone and many, even reasonable expectations can change, so let us not get into a back and forth over conjecture about future events.

@Puppetmaster I would think a 12600k/12700k with DDR4 motherboard would suit you just fine. I wouldn't be waiting for AM5.

Back
Top Bottom