The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Auto windscreen wipers aren't amazing either.

2 things I wish I knew beforehand was that having the speed slightly to the left is no issue at all and also public charging with superchargers is super easy.

If you are a bit geeky you can look at setting up Tesla mate or paying for one of the managed services.

Soldato
Any things you wish you knew before owning one?
The salesman said the charger is a type 2. Fair to assume most electric cars use type 2? In case we diversify later down the road.

Yes. In fact Tesla have added 12 Superchargers to what was only 2 at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol (John Lewis), and all the new ones are Type 2 ONLY, which means they can't be used by older Model S's.

I wish I knew the rated range is "lab-based" the same as MPG on ICE cars. Obvious in hindsight but I know it trips a lot of people up, and I MAY have been tempted by the LR. But actually in 2 years the SR is fine, the Supercharger network makes all the difference and practically negates any form on range anxiety. I still want to do a long trip to Europe.

Definitely get Teslamate or similar if you're into data. I've had it installed since day zero. This is my custom dash:

CklNdmD.png

Soldato
Yes. In fact Tesla have added 12 Superchargers to what was only 2 at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol (John Lewis), and all the new ones are Type 2 ONLY, which means they can't be used by older Model S's.

I wish I knew the rated range is "lab-based" the same as MPG on ICE cars. Obvious in hindsight but I know it trips a lot of people up, and I MAY have been tempted by the LR. But actually in 2 years the SR is fine, the Supercharger network makes all the difference and practically negates any form on range anxiety. I still want to do a long trip to Europe.

Definitely get Teslamate or similar if you're into data. I've had it installed since day zero. This is my custom dash:

CklNdmD.png
To me the rated range is a bit like mpg figures used to be. I'm noticing a bit of misting ATM, however ice started turning the heater to 18.5 and having auto heats seats on to save range:p so don't know if that's why. For filters I'm taking mine in for some warranty work and just going to buy 2 while I'm there, the filters are 15 quid each but 60 quid fitted so I'll just do it myself.

Associate
Had the virtual consult today. Going to book a test drive. Likely going for the basic model.

Any things you wish you knew before owning one?
The salesman said the charger is a type 2. Fair to assume most electric cars use type 2? In case we diversify later down the road.

Also re servicing. Our closest Tesla garage is 30 mins drive (not the end of the world). But what's the availability of your regular garages doing services on these? Assume it's run of the mill stuff - filters etc and you can go anywhere?

The voice recognition is terrible! One thing I sort of miss from my BMW is CarPlay, but it does everything else well, and the acceleration is brilliant......Holding off buying the acceleration boost for now...... (LR cars only)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Took the wife out earlier and came back to 2 sentry events. Don't normally sit in the car and watch them but she was checking her phone, so I had a look.

It seems Sentry mode caught this young lad by surprise, causing him a bit of a scare :D

Soldato
well volkswagen id3 had to refund owners when the heat pumps (and theirs is CO2 too) do not deliver, its really been a misnomer that heat pumps work efficiently at low sub zero temperatures, which fortunately we don't have much in uk - I wonder if they are looking at better car insulation, beyond glazing.
(extends to air source heat pumps in houses - don't know what Canadians use ? but in the UK some horror stories - blogs good)

Soldato
Dodgy domestic heat pumps in U.K. houses are almost exclusively due to wider system design and installation error. Lots of installers don’t really know what they are doing and the tried and tested solution of just whacking a bigger gas boiler in to brute force the solution doesn’t work.

Heat pumps require a non-trivial amount of planning to work properly, for example heat loss calculations. There are two parts to the heating system, the first to make the heat, the second is what stops the heat escaping, very few people consider the latter.

They are used extensively in Scandinavia where it is far colder than here.

Soldato
Dodgy domestic heat pumps in U.K. houses are almost exclusively due to wider system design and installation error. Lots of installers don’t really know what they are doing and the tried and tested solution of just whacking a bigger gas boiler in to brute force the solution doesn’t work.

Heat pumps require a non-trivial amount of planning to work properly, for example heat loss calculations.

100% this. The amount of crap I have been told when shopping around to get mine done is unreal. More then half of them have zero clue, only about 1 in 10 offer a site survey that includes floor plan analysis, a full survey of the insulation and only one of them so far has offered a full leak detection and thermal efficeincy survey. And the prices some of them are charing you would think they were doing all of these things, and baking you a cake too.

Soldato
Good chat on this, Is ground source still a sensible consideration in UK or is the work too significant compared to air? I should probably jump to the home section though ::p

I was waiting for the wife after a class and her friend has a model 3. It flashed the lights at me on two occasions as i was stood near the front. Is that a sentry event signal?

Soldato
They are used extensively in Scandinavia where it is far colder than here.
yes, with hydro generation I don't know if their electricity cost both for cars and those home heat pumps are much lower than us too (even if car taxes are .. high)
which I suppose can change your perspective on fast charge benefits vs cheap home charging.

Soldato
Good chat on this, Is ground source still a sensible consideration in UK or is the work too significant compared to air? I should probably jump to the home section though ::p

Yes, it’s considered to be the gold standard, it’s just the upfront cost to retrofit a borehole for an individual house is a lot. People will not amortise that over the lifetime of the borehole itself and just faint having herd the initial upfront cost.

If you are doing an entire estate in one go where multiple houses can share a single bore hole, it’s a LOT cheaper.

I think some council somewhere recently installed ground source in a bunch of high rise flats. A few bore holes served the entire block and was pretty cost effective that way.

Soldato
200/250 worst winter/best summer on the motorway, HVAC on, driving normally and not speeding.

I’ll be having my first weekend away from my home charger this weekend so I’ll report back.

Soldato
@Russinating

Data looks very juicy.
What's the real world distances for the base?

Yeah as above. As you can see from my dash my longest drive is 212 miles, but that won't be a "max"; that'll be from a 90% charge, down to maybe 10-20% as of course unless you have luck/impeccable timing you'll be stopping "short" of the max to recharge. I can tell you exactly what that drive started/finished on when I'm at home :).

Back
Top Bottom