I think our house is shockingly badly insulated.

Soldato
Had hinges replaced on two of our windows today for £130.

My parents just stick some white sealing tape on their windows over winter which keeps the drafts out. Cheap temporary solution for sure.

Caporegime
OP
Whats controlling when the radiator TRV comes one and heats up, its own thermostat or is it linked to the remote one you've put on the kitchen table?

The trv. That's how it should be. If n standard setup you shouldn't need a separate stat to control it. You can. But you're doubling your already chunky outlay. Usually it's OK.

Caporegime
OP
Had hinges replaced on two of our windows today for £130.

My parents just stick some white sealing tape on their windows over winter which keeps the drafts out. Cheap temporary solution for sure.

Did it do the job?
Might get something to temp seal them for now before looking at getting it done properly. Just to pin down the issue

Associate
I have Rado system but don't have those TRVs. When I was looking into them many people highlighted that the temperature they showed is actually higher than what actual room temperature is because they are so close to the radiator. This can be fixed by offsetting the temperature on the by couple of degrees. Just something to consider.

Associate
One thing that really worked well for me was radiator foil reflectors. You can buy a large roll for under £30. I doubled it up and attached it to the wall behind the radiators in every exterior wall in the house and it made a huge difference.

Associate
When you open and close the window handle with the windows open, you will see some small circular items move. These are normally cams with a Hex head, and are in the middle, or at either end of the window.On some windows, you can turn these to increase or decrease the amount of "pull" the window has when closing.

These are the adjusters that Countcussy is taking about:

It definitely worth adjusting between the seasons but don't leave them set to winter during the summer as the lifespan of the seals can be shortened.

I'm trying to understand what these "smart" TRVs actually do - do they have a wireless connection to your boiler for it to come on like the Hive ones do? Or are they just less smart TRVs with a LCD to show what the temperature of the radiator is set to? Is it mounted correctly - horizontally or vertically and as the manufacturers instructions?

Associate
The trv. That's how it should be. If n standard setup you shouldn't need a separate stat to control it. You can. But you're doubling your already chunky outlay. Usually it's OK.

So, when that radiator TRV is getting up to the 21/22 degs shown in the first post, im guessing its turning off and the radiator goes cold? But you're saying the room only got 17degs rather than the 21deg as detected by the radiator? Just sounds like the radiator TRV isnt detecting the correct temp and is closing down early? Have you tried putting a 5/6deg offset on the radiator TRV so it isnt overestimating the temp and will still keep heating full blast until the room is up to temp?

Caporegime
OP
So, when that radiator TRV is getting up to the 21/22 degs shown in the first post, im guessing its turning off and the radiator goes cold? But you're saying the room only got 17degs rather than the 21deg as detected by the radiator? Just sounds like the radiator TRV isnt detecting the correct temp and is closing down early? Have you tried putting a 5/6deg offset on the radiator TRV so it isnt overestimating the temp and will still keep heating full blast until the room is up to temp?

Most of the time am offset of that isn't required. I have a 2c offset.

It shouldn't need offsetting but that much.

Caporegime
OP
These are the adjusters that Countcussy is taking about:

It definitely worth adjusting between the seasons but don't leave them set to winter during the summer as the lifespan of the seals can be shortened.

I'm trying to understand what these "smart" TRVs actually do - do they have a wireless connection to your boiler for it to come on like the Hive ones do? Or are they just less smart TRVs with a LCD to show what the temperature of the radiator is set to? Is it mounted correctly - horizontally or vertically and as the manufacturers instructions?
Thanks I'll see if this helps.

Going to see if new hinges will help too. Or if I just have to put sticky strips round as a cheap bodge

Caporegime
OP

Each trv controls the boiler. So when one is cold it opens the valve and turns the bolier on.

Only if all are at they preset temp is the boiler off

Associate
Most of the time am offset of that isn't required. I have a 2c offset.

It shouldn't need offsetting but that much.

But if the radiator turns off early before the actual room hits target temp, then it seems like that big an offset is required isnt it? Even if you sort the windows out and get a perfectly insulated room/house, if the radiator turns off because it thinks its hit the target of 21degs, but the room is actually only 17, then you've still got the same problem of not getting warm enough, granted it'll cool down slower?

Caporegime
OP
But if the radiator turns off early before the actual room hits target temp, then it seems like that big an offset is required isnt it? Even if you sort the windows out and get a perfectly insulated room/house, if the radiator turns off because it thinks its hit the target of 21degs, but the room is actually only 17, then you've still got the same problem of not getting warm enough, granted it'll cool down slower?
I know what your saying.

I believe the idea is that after a while the heat radiates and the room equalises. But with cold draft looks like it never does

Associate
I know what your saying.

I believe the idea is that after a while the heat radiates and the room equalises. But with cold draft looks like it never does

There's not enough thermal inertia/mass and energy from the radiator after its turned off to do that. It'll never keep adding energy and increasing the temp to the room once it's turned off. Certainly not 4 degrees worth anyway. Maybe 1/2 deg or so at most.

Soldato
The draft that comes in around most of our rental flat hinged windows is shocking, during the winter months we tape over the window and frame joint on most of them and it makes a massive difference, especially for the windows facing east (often the coldest winds).

Back
Top Bottom