Poll: *** The official iPhone 14 thread (it can talk to satellites, has AOD and everything!) ***

Which iPhone 14 will you get?

• Total voters
Soldato
I hope the Jon Prosser leak is accurate as it looks fantastic and I was a fan of the iPhone 4 design.

There is no killer feature I'm desperate to see on the 14. I'd be happy with faster wireless charging, good improvement to battery life and another improvement with the camera system.

Commissario
OP
And I still do - But people were discussing what might happen in other threads so I thought it made sense to keep it all together.

I hope the Jon Prosser leak is accurate as it looks fantastic and I was a fan of the iPhone 4 design.
As said before, he churns out so much rubbish that eventually something has to be right.

Leaks always ****** me off no end when I worked for Apple.
I don't like them either. I'd much rather know nothing about the new product before the actual launch. Things seemed to be a lot tighter, even just a few years ago.

Soldato
I don't like them either. I'd much rather know nothing about the new product before the actual launch. Things seemed to be a lot tighter, even just a few years ago.

They've just fired someone that's fairly senior if I recall for leaking stuff, so definitely been a crackdown in the last 18 months.

Soldato
As said before, he churns out so much rubbish that eventually something has to be right.

I agree with you about Jon Prosser and I try and avoid the leaks as well. The problem now is Apple's supply chain is so vast that it's like trying to get the Jack back in the box to prevent leaks!

I don't really have any wants with the 14 yet. My immediate wish list was fulfilled with the 13, however I've decided I'm prioritising the upgrade of my iMac next with hopefully an announcement of a new larger screen Apple Silicon iMac due the first half of next year.

Associate
I think the biggest criticism of the 13 Pro was lack of USB C. Problem is just changing the port to C will not be enough so it will be interesting to see what else they change...

Soldato
Here is my prediction:

The new iPhone will be the best phone they've ever made. In all seriousness +20% CPU, +25% GPU, slightly better cameras, new colour, MM wave outside the US, tweaked design but not radically different, better battery life and that's about it. I'd say there will be a 30% chance it will not have a lightning port.

Soldato
I think it’ll be less for 5% they change; my reasons are that the iPhone is the biggest device for them by a considerable margin so having their own cable and having people have to license the use it means more money. The iPhone has been around the 50% mark for revenue for a $2tr company.

I think I read - maybe completely wrong - that there is also issues with the design of it from terms of thin and water resistance factors.

That’s not changing any time soon, the iPad Pro changed over because it was easier to market it as a pro device and a laptop replacement with the file sharing system.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/23/eu-usb-c-iphone/

That’ll be good news all round if they do get forced to move to USB-C

Apple will hate that.

Was just about to post that!

I think Apple will be so stubborn that they'd rather go fully wireless (which is a terrible idea btw) instead of including USB-C. Which is funny because whenever they mention USB-C on the their other products like the ipad pro's, ipad mini etc... They make it seem like the best thing ever ahaha!

Soldato
I’m in two minds about legislation like this, it always sounds great on paper until you realise it could have loads of unintended consequences.

Particularly where tech is concerned which moves at a pace far greater than legislation. If USB-C is mandated, what happens when type C is no longer the ‘gold standard’ and everyone wants to move to USB-D or some other standard yet to be developed.

It’s entirely possible to stifle innovation by doing so but at the same time it’s annoying you may need 2 cables. At least it isn’t like the old days where every phone had a proprietary port.

I’m falling down on the side that it isn’t really necessary anymore and the legislation is probably the best part of 20 years too late.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

14 pro max wish list, in no particular order:

Hardware/Design:
1) USB-C
2) Faster wired and wireless charging (maybe 45w wired and 20w wireless?)
2) No notch/holepunch display
3) 256gb base storage/8gb ram (for prores mainly as it seems to use a lot of space)
4) Touch ID in power button
5) Change the dimensions of the 14 pro max for it to be narrower so its easier to hold in hand - at the moment its far too wide for it to be a comfortable 1 handed phone!
6) 1440p display

Software:
1) 4K/240fps slow-mo (still stuck on 1080p in 2021!!)
2) Home screen on pro max to be less zoomed in so can actually fit more rows on each page

I'm sure there are a couple other small things as well that can be added, but ill update list as the year goes on. If the 14 Pro Max includes all of these I am 100% getting it

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I’m in two minds about legislation like this, it always sounds great on paper until you realise it could have loads of unintended consequences.

Particularly where tech is concerned which moves at a pace far greater than legislation. If USB-C is mandated, what happens when type C is no longer the ‘gold standard’ and everyone wants to move to USB-D or some other standard yet to be developed.

It’s entirely possible to stifle innovation by doing so but at the same time it’s annoying you may need 2 cables. At least it isn’t like the old days where every phone had a proprietary port.

I’m falling down on the side that it isn’t really necessary anymore and the legislation is probably the best part of 20 years too late.

The thing with usbc is that it seems like its super flexible, that shape of port has supported every data transfer speed and charging speed in recent years, and it still has room to grow. If we are to move on from USBC, it will be a long time from now.

Think about it, a good usbc cable in 2021 can support over 100w charging and also thunderbolt 4

Soldato
I don’t disagree but they also said that about previous standards.

You have to bear in mind that this legislation has taken the best part of a decade to sort out. While that is not an indication of how long a revision might take to insert, it might as well be an ice age in tech world. It also effectively blocks competing standards and as soon as a new standard is poised to take over you’ll end up in the same place as now with some on one and everything else on the old one.

I say it’s unnecessary because the industry for the most part has already sorted this out on its own and frankly there are more important issues legislators should be focusing on.

Looking at it from a environmental perspective, they’d be better off banning bundled chargers and cables from portable electronics and focusing on repair ability and right to repair (e.g. making parts available to anyone).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I don’t disagree but they also said that about previous standards.

You have to bear in mind that this legislation has taken the best part of a decade to sort out. While that is not an indication of how long a revision might take to insert, it might as well be an ice age in tech world. It also effectively blocks competing standards and as soon as a new standard is poised to take over you’ll end up in the same place as now with some on one and everything else on the old one.

I say it’s unnecessary because the industry for the most part has already sorted this out on its own and frankly there are more important issues legislators should be focusing on.

Looking at it from a environmental perspective, they’d be better off banning bundled chargers and cables from portable electronics and focusing on repair ability and right to repair (e.g. making parts available to anyone).

Thing is, I cant even see a new standard coming out just because there seems to be more things going wireless, so USB-C may be the last wired mobile standard that we actually see. We're not ready for a fully wireless smartphone world yet, but we're not too far off either

Associate
HksUJkH.jpg

Another year another iPhone thread.

Thoughts about this years potential offering?

Pill shape cutouts
Better Camera
120hz on all displays
Increased RAM
Pro Model base storage 256gb

I’ve got an 11 Pro so the fact they are considering the cutouts instead of the notch would make it a very nice upgrade indeed.

Back
Top Bottom