Added some o-rings to my G915 TKL

Associate
Hi all!

So I love tinkering with things; and I was looking for mods I could do to my G915 TKL Tactile. I saw one around o-rings on reddit that did not look hard to do. So I ordered the following:
Nitrile Rubber O-Rings 9mm OD 7mm ID 1mm Width, Metric Buna-N Sealing Gasket, Pack of 50. Cost me 8 quid in total for 100.

After CAREFULLY pulling the keycaps off (they are fragile, pull in a up-down motion, never side to side) I added the o-rings around the stabs that stick out and plopped them back in. The result? They feel a lot more refined, with a nicer bottom out and somewhat quieter too; much nicer to my taste. They somehow feel more tactile now aswell.

I got some Krytox coming in the post to attempt to lube the stabilisers as they rattle a lot but as a quick mod (took me around 20mins) it's worth a try if you have the itch :).

Soldato
I just added some o rings to my g915 tkl. Very easy to do. Pull of keycap carefully. Stretched the o ring over the keycaps 2 clips and push it down a bit closer to keycaps base, pop on keycap to the keyboard . I also silicone sprayed switch whilst I was there, tiny drop (can with thin nosle) and I've got a much more nicer feel and more of the the thock sound that's more pleasing. Within reason I'm pleased with the result . Tactile switches I got. Its not going to transform the keyboard but absolutely makes a difference.

Associate
I've been thinking of getting this keyboard for a while but am slightly disturbed about the fragile key cap thing... I'm pretty ham-fisted, is this something I should worry about?

Associate
OP
I've been thinking of getting this keyboard for a while but am slightly disturbed about the fragile key cap thing... I'm pretty ham-fisted, is this something I should worry about?

Hi there, the problem with the keycaps is not with typing; its more if you remove them the clips are fragile and they seem to wear out easily (although I have not experienced that).

Caporegime

ive got its bigger brother and its disturbing how an expensive keyboard can be so fragile but so far ive only whacked it once and no problems.
its nice. took a bit of getting used to but now i love it.

the lowest row of keys is scariest because my thumbs regularly fiddle with the underside of the space bar and its quite bendy.... i stopped thinking about it. feels better :p

Soldato
I have the 815 full width version of this keyboard and can confirm you do have to be wary about catching the underside of the caps, whether on purpose or by accident, as they seem to be constantly saying "ping me off, you know you want to". It because the keys stand well proud of the base and there is virtually no gap between the edge of the case and where the keys sit. I managed to catch the edge of the left control key when that corner of the keyboard was just overhanging the edge of my desk, while I sort of brought my hand up from below and the cap pinged off. The thing is I didn't even notice it until I looked at the keyboard a few minutes later to see the bare inwards of the key. Luckily I found it on the carpet, but it could have gone anywhere. It is a superb keyboard though, so you just have to be careful with it.

Back
Top Bottom