• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Whilst y-cruncher is just one measure it shows me an improvement with the 4000Mhz memory fitted, default timings....

y-Cruncher-with-4000-DDR-4-and-Gear-1.png

Associate
Ended up getting a freezer ii 360mm and currently sitting on 1.26v @ 5ghz pcore / 3.9 ecore, temps around 86-88 on a cinebench run.

Case is an enthroo Pro m with the aio up top pushing out, but considering having the fans pulling in and flipping the front 140s as exit...any opinions on that from those that know?

Associate
As I've continued to learn more about ADL behaviors and how to tune around certain walls, I wanted to show what a tuned system can do. Now keep in this mind this is a very defined use case of "maxing out the PC just for minecraft" so YMMV.

First pic is what you get out of box + XMP on 8pack's 14-15-15/3600mhz kit. This kit is alredy a very good baseline and better than majority of the kits out there. Most of the population will run their systems in this configuration. It's also how pretty much all the tech tubers will test:

unknown.png

Now let's look at the fully tuned version:

unknown.png

Over 100% gain. Now obviously this is not going be a blanket gain across everything but this goes back to a very important point. Figure out your use cases first. Then do a baseline measure so when you start tuning, you can see what actual gains you get.

Soldato
Over 100% gain. Now obviously this is not going be a blanket gain across everything but this goes back to a very important point. Figure out your use cases first. Then do a baseline measure so when you start tuning, you can see what actual gains you get.

This is to demo the iGPU only though, with a discrete card you won't be showing 100% gains.

Associate
I’ve been pretty clear with the use case part all along and in that quote even suggest people tune to their use case. Ultimately it was fun to tune and saved me from having to pay for some over priced gpu’s.

Importantly I can carry over lessons learned to my own KS build.

Soldato
I’ve been pretty clear with the use case part all along and in that quote even suggest people tune to their use case. Ultimately it was fun to tune and saved me from having to pay for some over priced gpu’s.

Importantly I can carry over lessons learned to my own KS build.

Apologies, I didn't see that only what you wrote above. Same can be applied t AMD APU's also, I have extensively used the 4650G, and now the 5600G parts and the amount of extra performance you can get from them with a little bit of IF/memory tweaking is amazing, but also somewhat expected given how bandwidth starved iGPU are. I'm really looking forward to a proper DDR5 platform APU to see what can really be done.

Soldato
Now let's look at the fully tuned version

By the sounds of things I'm running the same memory as you, 8-pack ripped 3600 cl14.

Would you care to share your bios memory settings?

I'm running mine using the xmp profile, with the CPU clocked at 5Ghz P, and 4Ghz E.

I'm not sure if I could run the memory in a different way to improve game performance, as the games I play are gpu bound (even with a 3090). I don't play Minecraft :D

The only niggle in the back of my mind, with tightening memory timings, is I've just had to return a Ryzen 5800x that developed a fault in its memory controller. And this was using 8-pack 3200 cl14 with fast tweaked memory timing's. I wonder if it stressed out the CPU too much? It took a year to start to fail, and then progressively got worse. I got a full refund on the 5800x which funded the 12700k changeover.

Soldato
Getting there...got the AIO display showing GPU temp (green for Nvidia) and the CPU package temp (blue for Intel).

Set the Vcore to 1.22V and did a couple of ten minute runs of CB R23 @ 5.1/4.0 no problem, with CPU package getting no higher than 89C.

Have to say, a couple of weeks in, this is a mightily impressive CPU by Intel.

View attachment h4EXMWN.jpg

Caporegime
Got everything dialled in now and I'm super impressed with this 12700k performance, did come from a 5820k though so I was expecting it after 7 years!

As bad a game as Battlefield 2042 is atm, it feels like a different game with the much higher minimums, super super smooth now.

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom