EK Quantum Velocity 1700 backplate- screws do not fit

Associate
Hi all,
I ordered: this and this both from ocuk. The screws that came with the block do not fit the back plate, the holes are far too small.
Very annoying as this obviously stops the build from being used. This an ek issue or an ocuk issue to fix?

Associate
CPU Block compatibility list
- Intel LGA-1200/1150/1151/1155/1156
- Intel LGA-2011(-3)
- Intel LGA-2066

Mounting Bracket
- Metal backplate for Intel LGA 1700 socket based motherboards
- Rubber insulation for the backplate

Looks like you haven't ordered compatible parts

Soldato
CPU Block compatibility list
- Intel LGA-1200/1150/1151/1155/1156
- Intel LGA-2011(-3)
- Intel LGA-2066

Mounting Bracket
- Metal backplate for Intel LGA 1700 socket based motherboards
- Rubber insulation for the backplate

Looks like you haven't ordered compatible parts
According to ek
Unless I am misunderstanding something
Which is always possible

we are also happy to announce that the original Velocity water block is also able to support this new platform. The cold plate is large enough to accommodate the larger CPU IHS found on LGA 1700 CPUs and the only required part is the LGA 1700 compatible backplate.

Associate
OP
Phone lines are shut today, will have to try on monday. Yeah the parts should work, as mentioned the backplate adds support for the 1700 socket to the original velocity. Ordered that as it was half the price and in stock compared to the other 1700 block at the time.

The holes all line up from block through mobo, rubber layer and the backplate, just the screws do not fit in the backplate. I think the backplate has a manufacturing defect, eg holes not drilled to correct size. That free EK backplate is the same one I ordered from OCUK.

According to the site, should use the same screws.
  • Necessary mounting screws are not included in this upgrade kit. You need the screws that came enclosed with the water block.

Probs just got unlucky and got a badly made one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Phone lines are shut today, will have to try on monday. Yeah the parts should work, as mentioned the backplate adds support for the 1700 socket to the original velocity. Ordered that as it was half the price and in stock compared to the other 1700 block at the time.

The holes all line up from block through mobo, rubber layer and the backplate, just the screws do not fit in the backplate. I think the backplate has a manufacturing defect, eg holes not drilled to correct size. That free EK backplate is the same one I ordered from OCUK.

According to the site, should use the same screws.
  • Necessary mounting screws are not included in this upgrade kit. You need the screws that came enclosed with the water block.

Probs just got unlucky and got a badly made one.
Yeah does sound like it mate
Pita but hopefully a quick phone call Monday
Will get you sorted

Associate
OP
Ah dont have a drill unfortunately, yeah that does have me worried, a replacement has a high chance of the same issue. Dont suppose OCUK stock people are allowed to check this before posting? Would involve opening a couple of boxes, only the CPU block bag itself is factory sticker sealed and wouldn't need to be opened, the screws and bracket are just standard resealable plastic bags.
Was all ready for a 5930k to a 12700k swap till this happened!

Soldato
What sort of watercooling nut
Doesn't have a drill or dremel :cry:
Sorry couldn't resist that
Only ocuk can answer if they would open it to check
I know I tried in a major high street retailer
With an item and they wouldn't
Not with the same item but similar reasons for wanting
To look before I bought it

Man of Honour
I just noticed that you are going from a 5930k to a 12700k. Aren't the socket 2011-3 posts thicker than the 115*/1700 posts which would explain why they don't fit in the 1700 backplate? That's the case with the normal velocity block so I am assuming the quantum velocity uses the same fixings.

Associate
OP
I got a new block, my old ek block on the 5930k is years old. Ordered that new ek block and the bracket at the same time.

Eg I'm trying to use the screws that arrived with the new ek quantum velocity block. Neither sets of screws fit the backplate. The backplate hole is about 1 or 2mm too small for either screw to fit.

The 2011 screws don't use a backplate, the screw holes are built into the motherboard.

Man of Honour
I know that and they use a thicker bolt as well which was why I asked if you were using the correct set. Irrelevant though if you have a new block although the old one would have performed within a couple of degrees of the new one as cpu blocks have hit a wall and it will take a drastic new design to improve temps any more than they are now. Can you put a picture up of the screws you have next to the backplate please? Reviews and product descriptions don't show the mounting hardware. Have you checked the blocks manual (should be a updated one for socket 1700 installation on line by now)?

Associate
OP
https://imgur.com/a/bN9KxP7
Shows the screw I should be using fitting in the am4 supplied backplate, bottom pic.

And the wrong end of the screw just about fits into the 1700 backplate, so the hole is about 1-2mm too small for the correct (larger) end to fit.

The 2011 screw also fits in the intel m4 backplate correctly fyi so the screws are OK. Hopefully ocuk can see that I'm not going bonkers

Tbh I totally forgot that my existing one could have fitted but, its a lower end model and I only have the 2011 socket kit for it. Definitely wasn't a quantum velocity model at the very least.

Edit- rma'ed it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you been sent the correct block because if you ordered a Intel block it shouldn't come with any AMD fittings as EK have split them into Intel and AMD versions these days and not universal like they used to be? If you have a AM4 backplate that must mean you were sent a AMD block surely? That would explain why the posts don't fit in the 1700 backplate.

Associate
OP
Have you been sent the correct block because if you ordered a Intel block it shouldn't come with any AMD fittings as EK have split them into Intel and AMD versions these days and not universal like they used to be? If you have a AM4 backplate that must mean you were sent a AMD block surely? That would explain why the posts don't fit in the 1700 backplate.
This is on me I should have been clearer, the backplate used in the photo is 'EK-loop Intel CPU Backplate M4' Not am4, I should have worn my glasses reading the packet!

So defo seems I got a dodgy backplate, sent it back, hopefully get a good one back

V F

V F

Soldato
What sort of watercooling nut
Doesn't have a drill or dremel :cry:
Sorry couldn't resist that
Only ocuk can answer if they would open it to check
I know I tried in a major high street retailer
With an item and they wouldn't
Not with the same item but similar reasons for wanting
To look before I bought it

Life would be hard without a drill or dremel kit.

Back
Top Bottom