• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i5-2500 vs Celeron G6900

Soldato
Is the new Celeron G6900 better than the i5-2500?

Thinking of building a cheap 12th gen system which I can then upgrade later on. Mostly used for general stuff like web, music, YouTube, etc. No hard core gaming.

Soldato
Doesn't seem to make sense to upgrade, unless the current system is not doing what you need it to. Getting a new platform with a new expensive motherboard and putting a CPU the equivalent of what you have now in it makes no sense, just do it when you can afford/need more processing power.

Soldato
I have an ancient Llano A6 3670K system with an SSD which is still fine for basic stuff,and a Core i5 2500 is much faster overall. Hence,I would just stick with the Core i5 2500 until the system breaks. Perhaps use an SSD for the OS,and add some more RAM if you haven't done so already?

Soldato
OP
My current i5 system runs on an SSD and has the max supported 8GB of RAM. Was just wanting to build something more up to date with upgradeability built in plus more room for more drives.

Soldato
I’d probably sit tight unless the system is becoming an issue. Even then I think you need something faster than a 12th gen Celeron to beat the 2500K across the board.

Associate
I would hold tight. My family's computer is still running a i3 2100 and it's just holding on, I've been tempted to go to i5 2400s but it's just about keeping up. To me it sound like you got money burning a hole in the pocket :(

Soldato
OP
Yep money burning a hole :D it's been years since I've built anything and when I did used to regularly I used to end up selling them as soon as they were built as I usually had no money left afterwards. :D

Soldato
Unless you want to build for the fun of building, I really wouldn't bother. My own i5 2500 8GB system is still chugging along fine for Photoshop and Fusion 360 CAD work, so it breezes through general web stuff no problem. The SSD isn't even a top notch one either, but Windows 10 and app responsiveness is still lovely and snappy.

I'm actually posting this on my mid-2011 Macbook Air, which has a dual core Sandy Bridge and a piddly 4GB RAM, and even that's plenty enough for general use. 1080p60 YouTube does send her into a bit of a meltdown, but other than that its all golden still (although I should downgrade a couple of OS versions; High Sierra is more than I need and isn't too kind to my battery life).

Soldato
Works just fine using the official MS bypass method on Sandy Bridge.

There is a bypass method?

Edit!!

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...ported-pcs-official-but-with-lots-of-warning/

The company has reiterated on its warning that unsupported PCs could also miss out on security updates and is making such users accept this disclaimer first. When quizzed about it, Microsoft's David Weston, today, explained in an interview why such strict requirements surrounding TPM 2.0 and Virtualization-based Security (VBS) exist in the new OS. You can read about it here.

I have a Core i5 6000 series based laptop with TPM2.0,and it means I will be still be missing out on security updates. Probably will just use Windows 10 until its EOL - I suppose by then maybe will need to either use Linux or find a new laptop.

Soldato
Soldato
matching 5600x in multithread, wow!

5.3ghz all core on the celeron and 5.4ghz all core on the 12100, breaking world record with ease and cheap coolers

Back
Top Bottom