Kitchen Aid Mixer - Worth it?

Soldato
Yep, read loads of reviews and found a lot of complaints about the motors being underpowered, and the thing vibrating and rattling so much when under full tilt (which is required for bread dough, apparently) that it was walking across the counter top.

Went with a Kenwood Kmix instead and had very happy reports from the marital recipient. Even I have used the thing a few times, though mainly for the spiraliser attachment.

Caporegime
OP
Yep, read loads of reviews and found a lot of complaints about the motors being underpowered, and the thing vibrating and rattling so much when under full tilt (which is required for bread dough, apparently) that it was walking across the counter top.

Went with a Kenwood Kmix instead and had very happy reports from the marital recipient. Even I have used the thing a few times, though mainly for the spiraliser attachment.

Sounds like user error from people who bought the Classic rather than the Artisan. It says in the their material/manual that for bread dough get the Artisan.

I also have heard that it breaks from the strain of trying to do too much, but from what I have found this is to do with the design. There is a sacrificial gear inside that if it strains too much on the motor a plastic gear will break to prevent the motor killing itself. The actual gear is user replaceable for about £15. So a mass majority of the people who breaks their Kitchenaid can be easily fixed with this.

Soldato
Sounds like user error from people who bought the Classic rather than the Artisan. It says in the their material/manual that for bread dough get the Artisan.
I saw no such thing on the website...

It does say on their website that the Classic comes with a dough hook... presumably for mixing dough, but I'm sure that's more user error... and the Classic manual hosted on their website gives instructions on using the hook for "Breads, rolls, pizza dough, coffee cakes, buns", but that you should "not exceed Speed 2 when preparing yeast doughs as this may cause damage to the Stand Mixer"... but I'm sure that's just user error, too.

I also have heard that it breaks from the strain of trying to do too much, but from what I have found this is to do with the design. There is a sacrificial gear inside that if it strains too much on the motor a plastic gear will break to prevent the motor killing itself. The actual gear is user replaceable for about £15. So a mass majority of the people who breaks their Kitchenaid can be easily fixed with this.
I read something similar... but unless you're mixing concrete, the machine shouldn't break in the first place. It sounds like a BS money grab, to me.
I don't know of anything else designed like that and TBH I'd probably not want one that is. I'd much rather get a machine that will cope with whatever I throw at it, and not have parts designed to fail every time I want a home-made sandwich!!

Caporegime
OP
I saw no such thing on the website...

It does say on their website that the Classic comes with a dough hook... presumably for mixing dough, but I'm sure that's more user error... and the Classic manual hosted on their website gives instructions on using the hook for "Breads, rolls, pizza dough, coffee cakes, buns", but that you should "not exceed Speed 2 when preparing yeast doughs as this may cause damage to the Stand Mixer"... but I'm sure that's just user error, too.

I read something similar... but unless you're mixing concrete, the machine shouldn't break in the first place. It sounds like a BS money grab, to me.
I don't know of anything else designed like that and TBH I'd probably not want one that is. I'd much rather get a machine that will cope with whatever I throw at it, and not have parts designed to fail every time I want a home-made sandwich!!

I think you are being overly dramatic. $15 for a part is hardly Ferrari charging £2k for a wing mirror. Money grab lol.

Also, generally when you look for user feedback, the people who are happy with it never say anything and it is those that who have problems make the loudest noises.

I made a thread here and in another forum, both I am getting the ratio about 30 positive good feedback (no problem) for 1 post like yours pointing at OTHER people having problems. The other forum there’s currently 108 replies, and all positive.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...d-mixer-worth-it.2321344/page-2#post-33940253

I haven’t actually found any user with a direct failure of a kitchenaid. Only hearsay so far in my research. If I missed one, it’s currently under 1%.

Basically, eg, the ONLY negative comment about the KA is your (non-owner) comment, so if I were to do a poll, I can’t in good conscience to go by your non-experience over all the others? Wouldn’t you say? Certainly not base on the positive vs negative here.

yet there are others who said they bought another brand which broke.

Last edited:
Soldato
Idea of a sacrificial gear is not surprising - you have break-away clutches on cars on driveline - yes you can't run the dough hook at an arbitrary speed on classic kenwood -
but could probably mix cement in a Titanium - I don't know if it has a beefed up gearbox along with the motor , kenwood has a sacrificial (gucci) belt.

Soldato
I think you are being overly dramatic. $15 for a part is hardly Ferrari charging £2k for a wing mirror. Money grab lol.
Me?
I'm not the one compiling threads with market research levels of complaint ratios...

So again, we have parts designed to fail, and the supposed insistence (feel free to substantiate that assertion) that if you want to do something all models ought to be capable of, you need the one costing twice as much....

Also, generally when you look for user feedback, the people who are happy with it never say anything and it is those that who have problems make the loudest noises.
Now it just sounds like you're making excuses for the brand.
I tend to ignore 'user feedback' for that reason, looking more at professional and objective reviewer findings.

I haven’t actually found any user with a direct failure of a kitchenaid. Only hearsay so far in my research. If I missed one, it’s currently under 1%.
You've got a couple here in this very thread....

Basically, eg, the ONLY negative comment about the KA is your (non-owner) comment, so if I were to do a poll, I can’t in good conscience to go by your non-experience over all the others? Wouldn’t you say? Certainly not base on the positive vs negative here.
yet there are others who said they bought another brand which broke.
Fine, go buy the ******* thing and shut up, then.
You specifically requested, "talk me out of it, tell me they are bad and there are better and cheaper alternatives"... no need to get all up your own arse when you get what you asked for!!

Soldato

You obviously didn't look all that hard.

We had nothing but problems with our KitchenAid something-or-other. The motor packed up on the first one and the replacement also had a faulty motor which had pretty much zero torque.

I'm told that ours was from the Artisan range. Other half can't remember the exact model.

Caporegime
OP
Me?
I'm not the one compiling threads with market research levels of complaint ratios...

So again, we have parts designed to fail, and the supposed insistence (feel free to substantiate that assertion) that if you want to do something all models ought to be capable of, you need the one costing twice as much....

I tend to ignore 'user feedback' for that reason, looking more at professional and objective reviewer findings.

You specifically requested, "talk me out of it, tell me they are bad and there are better and cheaper alternatives"... no need to get all up your own arse when you get what you asked for!!

I welcome hearing your personal experience but siting hearsay’s is something I can look up myself.

Right now we have 2 against vs 20 positives. So keep the negatives coming.

I’m just being fair, it’s still seem like a overwhelmingly good product.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Me?

So this is the gear

Replacement Nylon (Plastic) Worm Gear/Shear and 5qt for KitchenAid Tilt-Head Mixer (Artisan, KSM90, Classic, K45, K45SS etc) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5IC...t_i_G5ADHNKY999NAQEYB6SR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This CNBC video, 4 min 10s in

Ps why are you so angry?

Last edited:
Soldato
I welcome hearing your personal experience but siting hearsay’s is something I can look up myself.
But my personal experience would be nothing more than user feedback, which is subject to user error just like all the others, remember...
Using actual professional reviews, which would be subject to legal action if they published falsehoods, is far more reliable and far more concrete than 'heresay'.

I’m just being fair, it’s still seem like a overwhelmingly good product.
It's good, yes... but you asked for "better and cheaper alternatives". Why are you so averse to being given exactly what you asked for?

So this is the gear
Don't care.
It's the principle behind it, same as this supposed insistence on customers buying more expensive models that you mentioned...

Ps why are you so angry?
I'm not at all angry. I'm just entertained by your gushing fanboy attitude over all this. It's like listening to a Harley Davidson owner!

Caporegime
OP
But my personal experience would be nothing more than user feedback, which is subject to user error just like all the others, remember...
Using actual professional reviews, which would be subject to legal action if they published falsehoods, is far more reliable and far more concrete than 'heresay'.

It's good, yes... but you asked for "better and cheaper alternatives". Why are you so averse to being given exactly what you asked for?

Don't care.
It's the principle behind it, same as this supposed insistence on customers buying more expensive models that you mentioned...

I'm not at all angry. I'm just entertained by your gushing fanboy attitude over all this. It's like listening to a Harley Davidson owner!

Relax, you are getting all worked up because the statistics from the majority disagree with you. I take your user feedback ad welcome and on the exact same level of a single positive feedback. That’s fair right? Or should I take yours as 100 users?

I’m essentially making a For and Against tick column in my head and at the moment it’s like 120 For and 3 Against across the 2 forums I’ve posted. I might ask another.

“Don’t care…” lol you assumed I made some baseless assertion so I sited my source from CNBC.

My purchasing decision will be base on number of positive vs negative with each user’s experience weighted equally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Relax, you are getting all worked up because the statistics from the majority disagree with you.
Not at all - I very nearly bought a KitchenAid one myself. They're very good... but as per your request, there are better ones for less money.
It seems you are the one getting upset because not everyone is encouraging you to do what you ought to be doing for yourself.

I take your user feedback ad welcome and on the exact same level of a single positive feedback. That’s fair right? Or should I take yours as 100 users?
It sounds like you never intended to take it anyway.
It sounds like you already made up your mind.

I’m essentially making a For and Against tick column in my head and at the moment it’s like 120 For and 3 Against across the 2 forums I’ve posted. I might ask another.
So basically doing what hundreds (probably thousands, by now) of articles have already done for you...?

“Don’t care…” lol you assumed I made some baseless assertion so I sited my source from CNBC.
Nope, and you're assuming an assumption on my part.
I don't care what the details are, as it's the principle of the design I disagreed with. Nothing to do with you or your assertions.

Caporegime
OP
Not at all - I very nearly bought a KitchenAid one myself. They're very good... but as per your request, there are better ones for less money.
It seems you are the one getting upset because not everyone is encouraging you to do what you ought to be doing for yourself.

It sounds like you never intended to take it anyway.
It sounds like you already made up your mind.

So basically doing what hundreds (probably thousands, by now) of articles have already done for you...?

Nope, and you're assuming an assumption on my part.
I don't care what the details are, as it's the principle of the design I disagreed with. Nothing to do with you or your assertions.

I will note down your vote for against.

Like I said, I take your point equally as one that is For. I think that is only fair. My mine is currently like 99% made up because that's about the statistic between the For and Against thus far. It can change if more people come and have the same experience as you do.

Caporegime
OP
Why, when I have not voted against?
I've only done what you asked, which is to offer cheaper, better alternatives.

So you want me to get a KitchenAid?

i can only get 1…if you vote for another brand for whatever reason then it’s a vote against KitchenAid. Imagine if I am making a shortlist and a vote under each. Your vote will be for the alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you want me to get a KitchenAid?
I want you to decide what it is you actually want, here...

- Do you want to buy a KitchenAid?
- Do you want to hear about alternatives?
- Do you want peoples' opinions just so you can rubbish them and ignore them?

Beyond that, it makes no odds to me what the **** you do. It's not my money...

i can only get 1…if you vote for another brand for whatever reason then it’s a vote against KitchenAid. Imagine if I am making a shortlist and a vote under each. Your vote will be for the alternative.
Well **** it, then. With that kind of autocracy, why would you even need to ask for others' opinions?
Like I said, you already made up your mind before you even posted the OP...

Caporegime
OP
I want you to decide what it is you actually want, here...

- Do you want to buy a KitchenAid?
- Do you want to hear about alternatives?
- Do you want peoples' opinions just so you can rubbish them and ignore them?

Beyond that, it makes no odds to me what the **** you do. It's not my money...

Well **** it, then. With that kind of autocracy, why would you even need to ask for others' opinions?
Like I said, you already made up your mind before you even posted the OP...

you are very angry! Lol

I’m just listening out for OTHER opinions. FYI, your opinion is not better or worse than another. It’s the same.

I want to buy a Stand Mixer.

KitchenAid seems popular.

Ask forum.

Hundreds of people have one and like it.

A few have something else and are happy with their choices.

That’s it. I can go with either and I’ll probably be happy with either. But statistically it looks to me the KitchenAid is winning my vote. (100+ vs a handful)

Soldato
you are very angry! Lol
I'm really not. Lol... ambivalent, perhaps, while also somewhat entertained by your contradiction, but certainly not angry... Lol....

I’m just listening out for OTHER opinions.
No, you're dismissing those that don't gushingly affirm what you've already decided.

FYI, your opinion is not better or worse than another. It’s the same.
You don't appear to even know what my actual opinion is...

Back
Top Bottom