• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Alder Lake Non-K OC! 12600 @ 5200Mhz

Soldato
Sadly if you can't use anything other than a £500+ motherboard it makes it utterly pointless. Let's hope there are more/cheaper DDR4 boards that support this feature, and we can all enjoy some actual overclocking and tweaking again, not just buy the most expensive CPU, RAM and board the add 200MHz and be cheering about how totally awesome it is, when it really isn't.

Soldato
Sadly if you can't use anything other than a £500+ motherboard it makes it utterly pointless. Let's hope there are more/cheaper DDR4 boards that support this feature, and we can all enjoy some actual overclocking and tweaking again, not just buy the most expensive CPU, RAM and board the add 200MHz and be cheering about how totally awesome it is, when it really isn't.

Plus the amount of cooling needed to hit over 5GHZ.

Soldato
Plus the amount of cooling needed to hit over 5GHZ.

It's not that bad on the P-Core only CPU's, I guess a lot would also depend on the lottery. I think you could easily find a good balance of ~5GHz and low voltage to get a very fast, and pretty quiet system. Just need more confirmation on other board vendors, and cheaper boards.

Soldato
I am a bit out of touch and confused. I just purchased a 12700k and posted in a forum for my motherboard about best way to overclock, as my 6700k is overclocked to 4.5 and that's what was the norm.

However all the replies were "it's not what you do anymore" or "it's not worth it"

Soldato
I am a bit out of touch and confused. I just purchased a 12700k and posted in a forum for my motherboard about best way to overclock, as my 6700k is overclocked to 4.5 and that's what was the norm.

However all the replies were "it's not what you do anymore" or "it's not worth it"

Most likely because the power use quickly gets out of hand when overclocking Intel chips. The big +. little topology of Intel makes the gains somewhat limited as you are tuning the system for only the half the cores.

Caporegime
as above if other manufacturers may this available on lower mid range boards it would make lower end cpus amazing value. so most likely newer bioses will lock it off. hope not. waiting for the mobos to settle price wise most still largely over priced.

Soldato
It's not that bad on the P-Core only CPU's, I guess a lot would also depend on the lottery. I think you could easily find a good balance of ~5GHz and low voltage to get a very fast, and pretty quiet system. Just need more confirmation on other board vendors, and cheaper boards.

If its capable with something like a Hyper 212 and a £100ish motherboard it would be fantastic. If we need to spend £150+ on a motherboard then things start to get pricey.

Soldato
Most likely because the power use quickly gets out of hand when overclocking Intel chips. The big +. little topology of Intel makes the gains somewhat limited as you are tuning the system for only the half the cores.

So in a nutshell I don't really need to oc my 12700k like I did with the 6700k

So in a nutshell I don't really need to oc my 12700k like I did with the 6700k

just ignore jigger he is anti intel so just makes dumb statements constantly.

It has been a long time since real overclocks were really a big thing. The biggest difference is the chips been able to natively boost so high.

Saying that with the number of cores even all core 52\5300 can make a difference in some situations.

part of overclocking is still working out the ideal vcore. My vcore is no higher than what my motherboard wants to give at stock.

Soldato
From what derbauer says in that video, it's unlikely that it will work on the cheaper boards. Kinda defeats the object of saving a bit on the CPU if you have to buy a £400+ motherboard for it, when a £200 one will serve 99% of people just as well. It also rules out DDR4, as none of the boards he mentions have DDR4 versions, so that's more money down the drain on scalped DDR5. Plus Intel will almost certainly put a stop to it immediately, leaving you unable to update your BIOS (already an issue if you want AVX-512 support).

It's a cool discovery and all, but it doesn't seem to have much relevance for real-world cost savings.

Back
Top Bottom