Speeding ticket (help)

Associate
Basically wife was going 58 in a 40 ... was one of those highway slow down board led things and she didnt notice and they stick a speed camera on it.
In the mail she got something that didnt say a fine or points just said they will prosecute.

She hasnt had a ticket for years.

Advice please.

Caporegime
anyway to get out of it? or have less of an impact on points/cost

Hand them a crisp fifty, that'll sort it.

Alternatively pay the fine and tell her not to be a naughty girl again.

She will likely get points too which she'll need to inform your insurance company of, they will increase her premiums as a result.

OR!

They'll give her a speed awareness course and no points but it's fairly unlikely, that's not a few MPH over the limit.

Soldato
no ticket was a prosecution notice whatever this means ...
https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties
"Within 14 days of your car being caught speeding you’ll be sent an - Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)"
Its the same thing, you have to let the relevant people know who was driving and they will be given a Fixed Penalty Notice. You will either have to plead guilty and get 3 points on the relevant license or plead innocence and go to court and attempt to argue the case even though she was going well over the speed limit.

Not really any way out of it.

Associate
OP
https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties
"Within 14 days of your car being caught speeding you’ll be sent an - Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)"
Its the same thing, you have to let the relevant people know who was driving and they will be given a Fixed Penalty Notice. You will either have to plead guilty and get 3 points on the relevant license or plead innocence and go to court and attempt to argue the case even though she was going well over the speed limit.

Not really any way out of it.

ahh thanks ...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Will the magistrate be lenient as it's the first time? If in doubt, lawyer up.
Can't imagine it's ban-worthy though. As others have said, points & fine?

Soldato
Just pay the fine and take the points. I doubt her (or your) insurance company will really care.

I was running 9 points some time back. 3 SP30s, one of which was for doing 50+ in a 40. It made barely any difference to my premium and I was driving a 2.5L 190HP+ car.

I did get a speed awareness once too for doing 50+ (56 I think) in a 40. All depends on circumstances. That was on a triple lane raised overpass. I doubt you would on a residential dual carriageway.

My GF also had 9 for some of that time and both of our cars were still cheaper to insure with each other as named drivers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom