Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Caporegime
OP
Wu5l4dQ.png

Hollywood accounting strikes again, a movie costing $75 million now somehow needs over 3x that to break even. It used to be 2x now its suddenly jumped another 1x. Give it another few years a movie costing 100 million will need a 500 million plus to "break even".

Don
Wu5l4dQ.png

Hollywood accounting strikes again, a movie costing $75 million now somehow needs over 3x that to break even. It used to be 2x now its suddenly jumped another 1x. Give it another few years a movie costing 100 million will need a 500 million plus to "break even".
I would imagine terrotories with exceptionally high advertising costs also oddly have the lowest corporation tax.

Caporegime
OP
They and a couple of others like bond suffered from having to spin up hype twice, that's twice as such marketing £££

Most of the marketing i seen was on youtube, can't recall seeing much outside of that. Though in NY they did have a times square commercial that probably cost stupid money to do.

Soldato
They and a couple of others like bond suffered from having to spin up hype twice, that's twice as such marketing £££
Brilliant point. I'm sure some studios are still on their knees and some are gone. Great to see some strong box office numbers lately. Especially when people were calling cinema dead.

Caporegime
OP
Not just that, the loans taken out to finance the film need to be serviced, and for some films like Bond or Afterlife, that was for over 2-3 years instead of 1-2 years.

What type of loans would be needed on a movie costing 75 million? For Sony thats money found in the old sofa. 20 years ago that would have been considered high for a movie but these days it's not much compared to some.

Soldato
Not just that, the loans taken out to finance the film need to be serviced, and for some films like Bond or Afterlife, that was for over 2-3 years instead of 1-2 years.
Investors, grants also didn't the govemnerment in califonia bill out the film industry with tax payers money?

Soldato
What type of loans would be needed on a movie costing 75 million? For Sony thats money found in the old sofa. 20 years ago that would have been considered high for a movie but these days it's not much compared to some.

Movie studios don't like fronting their own money if they can get investors to do it instead. 75 million is still 75 million, and that's only the production costs, not the marketing on top. That why many films spin up a production company just for that movie and then shut it down when done.

A company like Sony would also have many other movies in production, they are not going to be able to front all that money, especially when half probably won't even make a profit.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Caught up with this great film, the pacing was off a little in places and that ending forced me to get a tissue a solid 8/10

Soldato
Yes. Was announced on Ghostbusters day. As we're a few things.

A new sequel moviecode named Firehouse. Taking the franchise back to NYC.
A CGI movie also in development at Sony pictures Animation.
Netflix animated Ghostbusters series produced by Netflix and Ghot Corps.

Soldato
Good im all for a sequel providing they don't just shoehorn in the OG cast...i hope they have the confidence to move on with this young cast who are all very capable and deserve their own sequel without any baggage.

Back
Top Bottom