• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

God of War

Soldato
Seems a second update is out for God Of War now and the update is for 12th Gen Intel CPUs with integrated graphics:-

Small Update / Patch Notes
Posted
Sun, January 16
Experimental Branch – Test Fix for Out of Memory ErrorsWe've seen a number of people reporting issues with "Out of Memory" errors on start up when the computer should otherwise have ample memory. In our investigation of these issues we found that the vast majority of these were happening to people with new 12th Gen Intel CPUs with integrated graphics and that disabling the graphics card allowed people to work around the issue.

We've prepared a hot fix to resolve this issue and would love your help in validating the fix if you're willing. We've setup a separate branch on Steam called "experimental" that will allow you to download this hot fix and see if it resolves the issue.

Note that we have not completed our full round of quality assurance testing on this build, so there could be instances of instability that we have not identified yet. Still, if you're willing to help, please download this new build and let us know how it goes.

To access the experimental branch, follow these steps:
  • In your Steam library, right click on ‘God of War’ and select ‘Properties’
  • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab
  • Change the drop down to ‘experimental’

If you do not see the branch in your drop down, please restart your Steam client.

To switch back to the default branch, follow these steps:
  • In your Steam library, right click on ‘God of War’ and select ‘Properties’
  • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab
  • Change the drop down to ‘none’

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/god-of-war-dlss-vs-fsr-comparison/

In God of War, both FSR and DLSS are implemented with a sharpening filter in the render path. With version 2.3, NVIDIA has added the ability for game developers to include a DLSS sharpening slider, which adds a customizable sharpening pass—the God of War developers chose not to include that feature; instead, they added a fixed sharpening level value to the DLSS render path. On the FSR side, you can't control the level of sharpening applied by FSR, but in this game, the sharpening level is well-tuned by the developers. Even though an NVIDIA's sponsored release, it is great to see the developers made sure the FSR implementation will also be playable across all resolutions.

Speaking of image quality and performance, compared to native resolution, the DLSS performance uplift at 4K is a great improvement to the game even in Quality mode, and image quality is more detailed and stable than the TAA/FSR solution. One important thing to note is that the FSR image in this game doesn't have excessive shimmering issues like in Horizon Zero Dawn, for example. Going down to 1440p and 1080p resolutions, the DLSS and FSR performance increase is less impressive as it will boost performance by only around 10%, or even less at 1080p, a very similar FSR and DLSS performance boost as in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Soldato
Anyone with a 3090 maxed out their video card memory yet? :D:D

I've been playing a couple of hours using the beta 'fix' and have got the vid memory usage to over 17GB!! And that's at 1440p.

xnPyfFp.jpeg

Now where's that 'Is 10Gb enough?' thread gone? :D:D

Soldato
Anyone with a 3090 maxed out their video card memory yet? :D:D

I've been playing a couple of hours using the beta 'fix' and have got the vid memory usage to over 17GB!! And that's at 1440p.

xnPyfFp.jpeg

Now where's that 'Is 10Gb enough?' thread gone? :D:D

Looks like a memory leak

Soldato
It's not that bad on my pc, it took about 3 hrs to get to 18Gb. Still no crashes or instability, runs a treat in fact.

Isn't all this related to 12th gen intel cpus and the igpu ? Have you tried it by disabling the igpu ? because people were saying the other fix before the patch was to disable the 12th gen igpu to make the game work.

Worth a try to see if the memory leak shows up then with the igpu disabled.

Soldato
I'm not sure if that applies to my setup :confused:
I'm running a 12700, but the KF variant, so no igpu.

The screen shot above was while running the beta, so it still munched through vram. I'm now on the official patch, but haven't played enough to see its affect. An hour last night, and I'm sure it was up to 9Gb+ before I stopped playing.

I'm sure it will be fixed /patched, or perhaps it knows how much vram is available and just uses what it wants (on my system anyway).

Soldato
I'm not sure if that applies to my setup :confused:
I'm running a 12700, but the KF variant, so no igpu.

The screen shot above was while running the beta, so it still munched through vram. I'm now on the official patch, but haven't played enough to see its affect. An hour last night, and I'm sure it was up to 9Gb+ before I stopped playing.

I'm sure it will be fixed /patched, or perhaps it knows how much vram is available and just uses what it wants (on my system anyway).

No you have a KF chips no IGPU.. humm.. are you playing with DLSS or FRS on ? Have you tried native to see if the memory leaks are still there. As you said it will get patched if there is an issue or also as you said it might be just using all the VRAM available as you do have a 3090 with 24GB so doesn't mean it will do same on others gpus with less VRAM, are people actually getting crashes to desktop when the VRAM use goes crazy or any stutters or reduced performance ?

Soldato
I've played native, dlss on/off, and also 2.25 DLDSR. Mix n match, depends on what I feel like running, but the screen above is 1440p native, can't remember if dlss was on or not.

My monitor is 1440p. You have to set desktop to 4k DLDSR to get God of War to downscale, as the game doesn't run fullscreen.

I've not done any systematic testing, but I have read people's game crashing from lack of video memory over in the pc games forum.

Associate
Oh yeah. Is there any harm or downside to permanently leaving NVCP set to windowed and fullscreen mode over enable for fullscreen?
Yes, some applications will activate gsync and make Windows feel laggy as its running lower than Native refresh. Xbox game pass/app will activate it for instance.

Back
Top Bottom