how smart has your home gone?

Associate
Does anyone with electric underfloor heating have a smart thermostat? I have it just in my bathroom, being controlled by a Blyss thermostat that is a pain to use. I'm looking into my options regarding a replacement. One that has an app preferably and if it can tell me how much its costing whilst I use it, even better.

Soldato
If anyone else has pressure sensors logging as part of their smart home setup have a look at the recorded data for the 15/16th for the pressure changes due to that eruption in Tonga. I can clearly see two waves a few hours apart, the first at 7.11pm and the second at 2.02 am.

I thought it was quite interesting

Soldato
It was taken from my phone actually (pixel 4a). The home assistant android app sends sensor output to my home assistant instance and I had (accidentally) enabled all sensors including pressure.

Associate
I got a Tenda smart plug with energy monitor and its proving to be a big fail. You need to create an account via the app in order to configure and use the plug. However, I don't even get the verification email. It seems to be effecting a few people going by the comments/reviews.

It's probably going back.

Soldato
Anyone running a Drayton Wiser system, with electronic TRVs etc? Trying to buy a house at the moment which is a standard combi system with TRVs everywhere, but is dual-zone with upstairs and downstairs split. I can get the Drayton Wiser system which runs up to three zones (third for the hot water which we don't need) and get full individual room control using the app etc, but not sure if it'll be worth it. 9 radiators in total with all the bits will be over £500 and not sure I'd actually save that much.

I'm guessing just having the upstairs-downstairs split will be enough if I'm working from home...

Associate
Anybody recommend a energy monitor, don't have a smart meter fitted that feeds info back to supplier but would like some general idea of usage and see any changes throughout the day and whatnot.

Can provide a pic of our electric unit if required, don't think its been changed since house was done.

Edit
Been looking around and I don't want one that is dependent on cloud services, prefer local sensor>readout unit. I was looking at the Emporia but cannot be used without internet which is stupid imo for an energy monitor.

I looked into smart plugs with energy monitoring like the TP Links but for some reason they need location during setup....... for the love of god why.

Last edited:
Soldato
I looked into smart plugs with energy monitoring like the TP Links but for some reason they need location during setup....... for the love of god why.
Not got a recommendation but this is IME a quirk of security settings related to Bluetooth. Needed during connection but there are ways you can setup a persistent link after that.

Soldato
Anybody recommend a energy monitor, don't have a smart meter fitted that feeds info back to supplier but would like some general idea of usage and see any changes throughout the day and whatnot.

Can provide a pic of our electric unit if required, don't think its been changed since house was done.

Edit
Been looking around and I don't want one that is dependent on cloud services, prefer local sensor>readout unit. I was looking at the Emporia but cannot be used without internet which is stupid imo for an energy monitor.

You could build one for about £5-10. Have a look at open energy monitor for some ideas.

Associate
Not got a recommendation but this is IME a quirk of security settings related to Bluetooth. Needed during connection but there are ways you can setup a persistent link after that.
I don't see why gps has to be involved in any part of a plug setup before you can use it.

You could build one for about £5-10. Have a look at open energy monitor for some ideas.

I am no engineer, site just confused me and the shop stuff was more than the 5-10

Caporegime
mines as dumb as a brick, I don't see the point in all this smart crap seems like a waste of time, I guess it seems cool or all of 5 minutes.

I'd be quicker walking to a thermostat or a light switch than opening an app on a tablet or whatever

Soldato
Was going to say the exact same... My lights and heating work all on their own now lol.

The odd occasion I want to intervene it's via Alexa so I don't even have to move.

Associate
The point of a smart home is to not need to do either ;)
Gotta agree here, its not a smart home if you have to keep jabbing at a tablet glued to the kitchen wall (normally to e-peen your friends) - in fact that's just a normal home with the switches etc in another place. In 30 years of doing HA (yes I am that old) I have never needed a visual interface for my home's daily smart functions - that's why its smart. I know this comment will draw some ire from the 'gotta show off to my friends' brigade, but hey that's life.

Soldato
Gotta agree here, its not a smart home if you have to keep jabbing at a tablet glued to the kitchen wall (normally to e-peen your friends) - in fact that's just a normal home with the switches etc in another place. In 30 years of doing HA (yes I am that old) I have never needed a visual interface for my home's daily smart functions - that's why its smart. I know this comment will draw some ire from the 'gotta show off to my friends' brigade, but hey that's life.
Wait but isn't home automation just RGB lights attached to an Alexa?

:D

Soldato
mines as dumb as a brick, I don't see the point in all this smart crap seems like a waste of time, I guess it seems cool or all of 5 minutes.

I'd be quicker walking to a thermostat or a light switch than opening an app on a tablet or whatever

The idea of a smart home to me is having it automated so you don't need to touch a thing. Lights on and off with automation with sunrise/sunset, motion sensors etc. It's very rare I have to open any app.

Soldato

Back door being left open at my house whilst the heatings on makes me rage, not any more with a door sensor also controls the garden lights which is handy as the switch is in another room.

Or L1 front door lock again turns the heating off when opened and likewise front lights turn on when dark if the door is opened, also GPS front lights turn on before we get home and as soon as the L1 is locked it turns them off. So they are not left on or longer than they need to be.

To be frank I recon my gas bill would be a quarter more if I didn't have a nest thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom