Buying used LG OLED, advices?

Associate
Hi guys, will be buying used OLED, what would be the best way to check it for any problems?

Static images in different colors or some YouTube clips as test, can you please suggest what is the best way to test it, possibly with recommended links? Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your kind reply.

So for gray screens I will use this video for 5% grey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4Wy7vE8-o&t=1s

or videos from USB from this thread at the beginning which goes from 0% black to 100% white:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-and-vignetting.2896737/

Any reliable source for RGB and CMYK color screens?
Is this enough?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vImExjfO66E

Or should I try to find screens and download them in RGB and CMYK?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have or know somebody with a phone with an IR Blaster (older Samsung phones, Xiaomi or Huawei phones etc) then you can use an app to access the Service Menu and check how many hours it has actually been on. I used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.signzzang.sremoconlite&hl=en

Lots of YouTube on how to do it but it's very simple, basically press the 'Instart' button, enter the code 0413, The time on in total hours is 'UTT'. Press the 'Instart' again to exit.

Soldato
Magenta and Red will show any screenburn first, look for any patches. You could also get the instructions to go into the service menu and see how many hours the set has done and how many minor and major compensation cycles the set has completed, anything upto 4000hours should be fine as long as it has completed at least 2 major compensation cycles and at least one minor cycle for every 12-14 hours of run time ie 285 cycles in 4000hours of run time.

Associate
Magenta and Red will show any screenburn first, look for any patches. You could also get the instructions to go into the service menu and see how many hours the set has done and how many minor and major compensation cycles the set has completed, anything upto 4000hours should be fine as long as it has completed at least 2 major compensation cycles and at least one minor cycle for every 12-14 hours of run time ie 285 cycles in 4000hours of run time.

Wish i would have known this morning, had a chance to buy a 77" C1 for £1950 ex display hesitated asked a few questions and it was sold :(

But its handy for future reference, would the C1 have that on the menu to see the screen running time?

Soldato
Wish i would have known this morning, had a chance to buy a 77" C1 for £1950 ex display hesitated asked a few questions and it was sold :(

But its handy for future reference, would the C1 have that on the menu to see the screen running time?
No with LG tvs you need to go Into the service menu

Associate
This is very reassuring, i have a currys outlet nearby me and they have customer returns and open boxes.

They had some good deals on some nice sets but i just couldn't commit and if im honest i don't always believe the salesmen speil. some of the sets "never been used" and still have the plastic on them.

Least now i can buy with this knowledge in mind and i'll just return it if i they are lying.

Associate
Need a special remote to access the service menu.

I seen that on google, amazon and ebay have them listed worth the £10 for one if it gives me peace of mind.

I did read it was a special service remote did read something about an app version of the remote too for £2.00 on google play

Soldato
I seen that on google, amazon and ebay have them listed worth the £10 for one if it gives me peace of mind.

I did read it was a special service remote did read something about an app version of the remote too for £2.00 on google play

Yeah you can nab one off of Amazon for cheap. Just be wary of the in stop button as will blitz absolutely everything.

Soldato
Please elaborate :D

It's the factory reset button that an actual LG engineer would use to completely put the panel back to day 1 settings.

If you get your TV calibrated by a professional, most will use the service menu to do white balance and various other settings, so if your TV accidentally reset itself or you had to perform a factory reset, it wouldn't remove those settings and you would only have to enter a few additional settings they gave you.

It's also very fast, not like you can reverse it :cry: Soon as you press it the TV blitzed itself faster that you can clap your hands :D

Associate
It's the factory reset button that an actual LG engineer would use to completely put the panel back to day 1 settings.

If you get your TV calibrated by a professional, most will use the service menu to do white balance and various other settings, so if your TV accidentally reset itself or you had to perform a factory reset, it wouldn't remove those settings and you would only have to enter a few additional settings they gave you.

It's also very fast, not like you can reverse it :cry: Soon as you press it the TV blitzed itself faster that you can clap your hands :D

I could live with that :D if i make the mistake as along as it will still show the lifespan used on the TV thats good enough.

Back
Top Bottom