What are the facts around aftermarket LED bulb upgrades?

Soldato
There is so much conflicting information. Some say its illegal, other say they've done it and it passes MOT no issues.

With LED technology progressing rapidly since even a few years ago, maybe now its actually doable whilst retaining good beam pattern etc.

My friend has an E-class Merc and it has LED headlights which look wonderful from drivers perspective, light up the road exceptionally well. And OE of course so it is doable.

So what's the facts?

Soldato
Putting LEDs or HIDs in a regular Halogen headlight shouldn't pass an MOT.

That's a different statement to whether it will pass an MOT though :p

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

Soldato
OP
Putting LEDs or HIDs in a regular Halogen headlight shouldn't pass an MOT.

That's a different statement to whether it will pass an MOT though :p

What about this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

2. Changes to current rules
From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Soldato
OP
Then here is a snippet from a supplier:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

With no other mention of after-market LEDs in the MOT guidelines, all that is left is for them to check is that the beam pattern is correct and the colour of the light is predominantly white, white with a blue tint or yellow. Any good quality after-market LED bulbs will meet this criteria.

As long as the beam pattern and the colour of the light is correct – then there is no reason an LED upgrade bulb will fail an MOT.

Soldato
Are you just looking for someone to tell you it's OK and it will pass?

The relevant text is what I quote in my first reply - that's the text of the current MOT Inspection Manual. It's quite clear IMO that putting LED bulbs or HID bulbs in a Halogen headlight unit should cause the MOT to be failed.

Plenty of MOT places probably won't even check, or notice, or even be able to notice (if it has Halogen projectors for example, like my old Octavia, you can't see the bulb without taking the headlight covers etc. off, which they won't be doing on an MOT) so plenty will pass anyway but as worded, they shouldn't.

Edit - that link even has a big box in it that says:

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

It was again updated to later include the April 1986 clause and currently stands as i've copied in the first reply.

Edit 2 - The conclusion also confirms they're not OK

Conclusion
As we conclude this article – aftermarket LED bulbs are not road legal according to the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations as they are not E marked.

MOT testing centres will now fail LED upgrade bulbs in your headlights but the guidelines state nothing about other LED bulbs in your vehicle.

Soldato
If you're interested in actual legality, I don't know for sure but suspect it's still the case as your link summarises - that LED bulbs designed to replace halogen bulbs can't be E-Marked and so technically can't be road legal.

If you're really asking 'Can I use LED bulbs off the internet and get away with it?' then the answer is pretty much the same as ever - if the beam pattern is good, it's doubtful anyone will ever notice to even do anything about it. Similarly with the MOT - it technically should fail but it'll need someone to even notice it's wrong in the first place, which isn't necessarily obvious in a lot of headlight designs. If the beam pattern is bad enough for someone to notice, then you'll be blinding people left right and centre and ought to bin them just out of good conscience.

Soldato
OP
If you're interested in actual legality, I don't know for sure but suspect it's still the case as your link summarises - that LED bulbs designed to replace halogen bulbs can't be E-Marked and so technically can't be road legal.

If you're really asking 'Can I use LED bulbs off the internet and get away with it?' then the answer is pretty much the same as ever - if the beam pattern is good, it's doubtful anyone will ever notice to even do anything about it. Similarly with the MOT - it technically should fail but it'll need someone to even notice it's wrong in the first place, which isn't necessarily obvious in a lot of headlight designs. If the beam pattern is bad enough for someone to notice, then you'll be blinding people left right and centre and ought to bin them just out of good conscience.

yeah absolutely. Wouldn't want to do a poor job and cause problems for others on the road.

But after seeing my friend's headlights last night, and how comparatively poor mine are in comparison, then its pretty clear to me that even if not technically road legal, then upgrading my headlights to be equal to his (given his are OEM Mercedes and therefore legal), should be ok provided the beam pattern is good.

Soldato
I wouldn't expect to get OEM LED performance from a Halogen replacement bulb.

I doubt you'll make any halogen headlight 'equal to' an OEM Mercedes LED headlight unit regardless of what you do to it.

If you're getting decent bulbs, then you'll probably achieve some sort of improvement in light output but manage your expectations, if OEMs could achieve the same results by lobbing a £30 LED bulb in a cheap halogen housing, they wouldn't be spending money on proper LED setups :p

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't expect to get OEM LED performance from a Halogen replacement bulb.

I doubt you'll make any halogen headlight 'equal to' an OEM Mercedes LED headlight unit regardless of what you do to it.

If you're getting decent bulbs, then you'll probably achieve some sort of improvement in light output but manage your expectations, if OEMs could achieve the same results by lobbing a £30 LED bulb in a cheap halogen housing, they wouldn't be spending money on proper LED setups :p

Yeah good point. Even if I can make my current headlights equal to my old Mondeo MK3 xenons then that would be a massive improvement. They were great headlights on that car, I really felt it when I switched cars and was back on halogens.

Soldato
OP
bare in mind HRR are US based

Yeah it was just interesting about how the design of the LED bulb and specifically the size of the emitter is key. It makes sense after watching, but I would have fallen into the trap of thinking the 360 emitters would have been better.

Anyway Im considering my options. May go HID kit now instead of LED, as I already have projector headlamps so its a fairly easy retrofit especially if I can get ballast units that can fit in the light unit.

Downside to HID is it will only replace the low beam, not the high beam, cornering light, sidelight or indicators. I could still try for LEDs in those possibly. Beam pattern doesn't matter for high beam does it, as its full field?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if you get caught consider the following:

1: MOT is not valid.
2: This means insurance is not valid!
3: This means your driving without any insurance & MOT.

Big points on your licence as well as a big fine for no insurance! Is it really worth it? I think most people who take a chance are blissfully unaware just how serious an offence it is as its ONLY a bulb right & its brighter than the OEM............:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Well if you get caught consider the following:

1: MOT is not valid.
2: This means insurance is not valid!
3: This means your driving without any insurance & MOT.

Big points on your licence as well as a big fine for no insurance! Is it really worth it? I think most people who take a chance are blissfully unaware just how serious an offence it is as its ONLY a bulb right & its brighter than the OEM............:rolleyes:

I get what you're saying but if my standard headlights aren't as bright as someone else's standard headlights, and I upgrade mine to the same level as his without it being a worse beam pattern, then why should it be an issue?

The headlights on my car really are poor. Ive upgraded to Osram nightbreakers already, it helped but its still poor.

The car can come with xenons as standard, unfortunately Id be missing the auto leveling and headlight washers. But I keep my car clean and still have manual headlight level adjustment in the car itself.

So really, although I get the law is the law, its actually no less safe and probably more safe if I do the upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I would expect a retrofit HID kit to be easier for an MOT tester to spot unless it's extremely well hidden.

I should be able to get a kit that has a slimline ballast that fits in the rear of the light housing - no drilling or additional wiring required. In fact that is where Ford put their standard ballasts in the OE fit xenons.

Soldato
Just to point out that the MOT regulations quoted above state that the headlamp unit should not be CONVERTED to use HID/LED bulbs. If the bulb is a straight swap then you're not actually converting anything, so that doesn't necessarily apply.

Not that I'm saying they are legal, but the regulations quoted above aren't quite that simple.

Back
Top Bottom