Texas synagogue siege: Teens held in UK as Briton named as hostage-taker

Caporegime
I mean, it's all in your link really...

Akram's brother Gulbar confirmed his death in a statement carried on the Blackburn Muslim Community's Facebook page. He apologised to the victims and said his brother had been suffering from mental health issues.

"We would also like to add that any attack on any human being be it a Jew, Christian or Muslim etc is wrong and should always be condemned," he added in the statement. "It is absolutely inexcusable for a Muslim to attack a Jew or for any Jew to attack a Muslim, Christian, Hindu vice versa etc."

Luckily nobody else was hurt, though I can imagine they were absolutely ******** themselves.

More relevant is that he flew in to America and was able to buy a gun almost immediately.

Soldato
So I'm expecting:
a) someone to have groomed them - pitting UK vs USA and attempting to cause a distraction.
b) someone paid? for them to go to the states on this as a singular mission?
then
c) someone to be woken up by a knock at the door from Mr Drone.

Soldato
OP
I mean, it's all in your link really...

Luckily nobody else was hurt, though I can imagine they were absolutely ******** themselves.

More relevant is that he flew in to America and was able to buy a gun almost immediately.

His brother wants to know who got him the visa and gun as he was known to police.
More than meets the eye,

Man of Honour
His brother wants to know who got him the visa and gun as he was known to police.
More than meets the eye,

But was he known to U.K. police?
This was in the BBC report on the incident,
“There has been no confirmation yet of whether Akram was already known to the UK authorities but he had no prior police record in the US.”
If he had no criminal convictions he wouldn’t need a visa to get into the U.S., he could have travelled on ESTA.
As for the gun, if you’re prepared to go to sketchy areas and take a chance on asking questions of the right people you’ll be able to lay your hands on a weapon over there.
He must have been very persuasive to get into the synagogue, a Jewish friend in New Jersey told me that it’s easier to get into Fort Knox with all the security that synagogues have these days.
The same friend sent me a screenshot of the New York Times with a piece naming British Citizen Malik Faisal Akram.
I told her that it wasn’t a fine old Anglo-Saxon name, and that he might be British born, but it was an absolute lock that his ancestors weren’t Vikings, nor did they come over with William the Conqueror in 1066.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
New York Times with a piece naming British Citizen Malik Faisal Akram.
I told her that it wasn’t a fine old Anglo-Saxon name, and that he might be British born, but it was an absolute lock that his ancestors weren’t Vikings, nor did they come over with William the Conqueror in 1066.
What's your point with this statement?

Soldato
He bought the gun whilst over there. Bet the pro gun lot will come out with their usual freedumb platitudes :rolleyes:

Yep. If everyone in the synagogue was armed it would have been fine, completely fine.

It does surprise me that he managed to get in. I know there is security outside every London synagogue I know of and even Jewish schools. I can only imagine what security is like over there.

Man of Honour
What's your point with this statement?

My point was to my friend in the U.S., that the guy who attacked the synagogue in Texas might have had a British passport and citizenship, but he was as much a regular Brit like Bill Smith or John Miller as a Venusian is a Martian.
What I was saying to her was, “I know that you’re kidding around by laughingly pointing out that one of my countrymen had gone to America to commit a crime of terror, but you’ve met enough Brits to know that this jerk was nothing like the Brits that you and your friends know.”
If that makes me look like an anti Muslim to you, then I’ll suffer that, but I’m not anti anyone.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My point was to my friend in the U.S., that the guy who attacked the synagogue in Texas might have had a British passport and citizenship, but he was as much a regular Brit like Bill Smith or John Miller as a Venusian is a Martian.
What I was saying to her was, “I know that you’re kidding around by laughingly pointing out that one of my countrymen had gone to America to commit a crime of terror, but you’ve met enough Brits to know that this jerk was nothing like the Brits that you and your friends know.”
If that makes me look like an anti Muslim to you, then I’ll suffer that, but I’m not anti anyone.
Either you're extremely ignorant or simply very old fashioned. Many generations have passed since the immigration boom last century so categorising children of immigrants as not really British is borderline offensive to myself.

To then relate your ignorance to them being different to "anglo" brits as opposed to simply brits in general or, shockingly, people in general gives rise to further concern for your attitude.

I do not label you anti-whoever, that wasn't my take. I hope from the above you can understand my perspective on your comment, and perhaps have a change of view yourself.

Man of Honour
Either you're extremely ignorant or simply very old fashioned. Many generations have passed since the immigration boom last century so categorising children of immigrants as not really British is borderline offensive to myself.

To then relate your ignorance to them being different to "anglo" brits as opposed to simply brits in general or, shockingly, people in general gives rise to further concern for your attitude.

I do not label you anti-whoever, that wasn't my take. I hope from the above you can understand my perspective on your comment, and perhaps have a change of view yourself.

I’m pretty sure that I’m not ignorant, but it is your prerogative to see me as such, and it would be difficult to deny that at my age that I could well be thought to be “old fashioned.”
I do not categorise children of immigrants as not really British, but I can see where you think I might.
I was just commenting on things I’ve seen around me over the past forty odd years, but I think that I can see your perspective, and it’s a reasonable one, but it is my right to have my perspective too, and I don’t envisage it changing any time soon.
Finally, I would rather not argue with you over anything, but it’s just the way of the world that not everyone sees things in the same way.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I’m pretty sure that I’m not ignorant, but it is your prerogative to see me as such, and it would be difficult to deny that at my age that I could well be thought to be “old fashioned.”
I do not categorise children of immigrants as not really British, but I can see where you think I might.
I was just commenting on things I’ve seen around me over the past forty odd years, but I think that I can see your perspective, and it’s a reasonable one, but it is my right to have my perspective too, and I don’t envisage it changing any time soon.
Finally, I would rather not argue with you over anything, but it’s just the way of the world that not everyone sees things in the same way.
"My view be my view 'n tha's the ways I like it"

From your reply you are definitely of the old mindset and potentially ignorant of your own beliefs.

I'm not arguing with you, I simply wondered why you said what you said and tried to articulate how offensive it was.

Yes, being offended doesn't mean anything yadda yadda yadda but in today's world ignorance must be challenged else we succumb to it and allow it to envelop our progressive society.

Soldato
He is over 80 as far as I recall. But, there’s no way of defining British. Immigrants become naturalised at some point and there have been many millions of them over the last 2-3,000 years plus

This one is brown, though.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom