• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
I tend to judge it along the stack. So when the Ryzen 5 3600 was £150~£160,a Ryzen 7 3700X at say £300 wouldn't look so hot. But OTH if the Ryzen 5 is £270 and the Ryzen 7 was £320,I would rather stump up the extra cash and get the Ryzen 7.

But going by the fact you can get a Ryzen 7 5800X fairly easily for £330(and apparently others say around £300),the Ryzen 5 5600X should really be more around £240. In line with the Intel competition(£180 Core i5 12400F),if we say you need to add an extra £40 for an Intel motherboard,then probably around £220~£230 at least at current relative motherboard prices to be similar value(I think the number Humbug came up with).

Only thing is AMD really needs something under £200 - I think the rumours are its a Zen2 APU with no IGP?

But the days of £150 6 cores are well over. TSMC have increased prices by 60% since then and demand for AMD parts is mental currently.

lol so explain the context of you recommending a £320 5600x.

Learn to read to understand context maybe?

The context is clear.

It’s not daft at all though. He gets a 15-20% boost from enabling SAM with his RDNA2 card and has bought a quality motherboard with around a dozen future CPU upgrade options.

You spouting nonsense about how good a buy a £320 5600 is and making up magic boost figures.

Associate
Anyone here planning on getting one? I’d love to compare it against my KS which should be around the same time. Both will be on ddr4. We can select a few gaming benches and see how diff architectures scale?

- Gears 5
- SOTTR
- Final Fantasy Endwalker
- Final Fantasy Shadowbringer
I’m sure we can find a couple of more games with built in benches as well.

It’d be more fun to do a gaming tuned 12900ks vs 5800x3d as that’s the intent anyhow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It was pipped by the Core i5 9600K overall in gaming,but as HUB said the extra threads were something which would give it extra flexibility in gaming(they even said this). You could see this is non-gaming scenarios where HT added a lot of performance,so the Ryzen 5 had room to grow,but the 6C/6T Core i5 was as good as it got.

Gamersnexus also recommended the Ryzen 5 3600 as their mainstream gaming CPU,because that HT(and 2X the number of threads) made it far more flexible CPU,especially as games will over time make more use extra threads(but the Core i5 9600k was above it). In the end this has been shown time and time again,as more consistent low FPS in demanding scenarios. So it's why when people say cores/threads are not important it does play apart because if you are keeping the CPU for a few years,and upgrading to faster and faster dGPUs,having a bit extra in the tank makes sense. Is single core performance importance - yes it is! But its not the only thing that needs to be taken into consideration.

My original post was more about the choices in the AMD range not about Intel in reality. If you had a Ryzen 5 5600X for £200 and a Ryzen 7 5800X for £400,the former is just better value for money. Its why the Ryzen 5 3600 at £150 was so much better value than a Ryzen 7 3700X which rarely went under £250.

But if it's like a £40~£50 difference in price between the 6 core and 8 core of the same range you are literally paying a relatively small amount more for 33% more cores,and better clockspeeds. Say if that Ryzen 5 5600X is OK for three years before it starts showing issues in games,but the Ryzen 7 5800X lasts you another 1 year to 18 months extra. In the scheme of things paying that little bit extra over 4 years is actually more cost effective.

That person in the other thread paid £320 for a Ryzen 5 5600X and £225 for an X570 motherboard. That would have easily paid for a Ryzen 7 5800X(or even a Ryzen 9 5900X) and a £100 B550 motherboard. So think how much longer a Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 9 5900X would last over a Ryzen 5 5600X? Its why people who keep saying core count isn't important(or cost per core in the stack),are missing the whole picture IMHO. This is why I said even you got one despite preferring value,because there were deals on the Ryzen 7 5800X which pushed it very close to £300,and its a well rounded CPU. The consoles have 8 cores,and each of those Zen3 cores are faster than a console Zen2 core. You know for the most part it should give you a fairly decent lifespan.

Yeah its daft.

The 5600X is bad value but its what he wanted, i didn't criticize anyone for buying the 10900K over the 5800X, its their choice, once they have our input it doesn't do well to be too critical when someone goes against that advice.

My reply to you was simply because you mentioned that i got an 8 instead of a 6 core, there is a reason for that, i had 2 Intel 4 core CPU's, 2 AMD 6 core CPU's and didn't want a third, at the time the 9700K was under £300 and i almost bought it, but for £120 more and £160 for what is a very good motherboard i opted for the 5800X, really a similar board from Intel would have cost £200 so i only ended up paying £80 more for a platform that's very much better than a 9700K, as good or better than a 10900K, so despite the £420 price of the 5800X, which yes was very high, or at least seemed to be compared to a 3700X, looking at it purely based of its own merits was actually very reasonable, the CPU + a what is a good motherboard cost a bit less than the 10900K, its true competitor, and its a better CPU than it.

Its decreased my rendering and encoding time too, cut it in half.

Soldato
Yeah its daft.

The 5600X is bad value but its what he wanted, i didn't criticize anyone for buying the 10900K over the 5800X, its their choice, once they have our input it doesn't do well to be too critical when someone goes against that advice.

My reply to you was simply because you mentioned that i got an 8 instead of a 6 core, there is a reason for that, i had 2 Intel 4 core CPU's, 2 AMD 6 core CPU's and didn't want a third, at the time the 9700K was under £300 and i almost bought it, but for £120 more and £160 for what is a very good motherboard i opted for the 5800X, really a similar board from Intel would have cost £200 so i only ended up paying £80 more for a platform that's very much better than a 9700K, as good or better than a 10900K, so despite the £420 price of the 5800X, which yes was very high, or at least seemed to be compared to a 3700X, looking at it purely based of its own merits was actually very reasonable, the CPU + a what is a good motherboard cost a bit less than the 10900K, its true competitor, and its a better CPU than it.

Its decreased my rendering and encoding time too, cut it in half.

An 8 core CPU also has added flexibility if you are doing game recording,etc too - a number of the 6 core CPUs really start to have issues once you load background tasks at the same time. A lot of review websites tend to have very clean OS installs without much running in the background. The pure 6 core CPUs(with none of the background cores) really make sense when they are relatively cheap IMHO,otherwise the issue we have is like quad cores before AM4,and every generation we just got a faster and faster quad cores leading to stagnation. I really don't want a move back to those days,but luckily consoles and laptops/mobile are slowly pushing the issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here planning on getting one? I’d love to compare it against my KS which should be around the same time. Both will be on ddr4. We can select a few gaming benches and see how diff architectures scale?

- Gears 5
- SOTTR
- Final Fantasy Endwalker
- Final Fantasy Shadowbringer
I’m sure we can find a couple of more games with built in benches as well.

It’d be more fun to do a gaming tuned 12900ks vs 5800x3d as that’s the intent anyhow.

Possibly building 8 systems around launch. Not sure what GPU’s we’ll be fitting yet though.

Soldato
looks like we got a release timeframe window:

Spring 2022 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Sunday, 20 March

and ends on
Tuesday, 21 June

All dates are in United Kingdom Time.

Soldato
Waa amd is dusted!! Looks like they will be in intels rear view mirror for another 10 years. Pat saying raptorlake gonna make zen4 look like bulldozer ball over again. Woe is amd..... Gelsinger should give himself a pat on the back.

Back
Top Bottom