• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
Guess I will be the weird one here. 12900K 5400Mhz all core overclock DDR4 4000Mhz playing an actual game at 4k resolution.Man I wish I could play at 1080p low Intel settings ,I want to be part of the crowd.jk SMDB's

@Vimes
did your get rid of MSI motherboard

Soldato
@gerardfraser Yup I did get rid of it due to a persistent fault BUT that fault has since been resolved by MSI with a later BIOS release. It is a superb board and if it wasn't for me having a two weeks return window, and was sure that a BIOS fix could be done, I would have definitely kept it. Fantastic value for money, good feature set and it just works..!

Soldato
Guess I will be the weird one here. 12900K 5400Mhz all core overclock DDR4 4000Mhz playing an actual game at 4k resolution.Man I wish I could play at 1080p low Intel settings ,I want to be part of the crowd.jk SMDB's

@Vimes

Nice video, but could only watch like 30 seconds of it. Controller movement, its like watching a robot turn corners :D:D

Soldato

@Vimes

Seems a second update is out for God Of War now and the update is for 12th Gen Intel CPUs with integrated graphics:-

Small Update / Patch Notes
Posted
Sun, January 16
Experimental Branch – Test Fix for Out of Memory ErrorsWe've seen a number of people reporting issues with "Out of Memory" errors on start up when the computer should otherwise have ample memory. In our investigation of these issues we found that the vast majority of these were happening to people with new 12th Gen Intel CPUs with integrated graphics and that disabling the graphics card allowed people to work around the issue.

We've prepared a hot fix to resolve this issue and would love your help in validating the fix if you're willing. We've setup a separate branch on Steam called "experimental" that will allow you to download this hot fix and see if it resolves the issue.

Note that we have not completed our full round of quality assurance testing on this build, so there could be instances of instability that we have not identified yet. Still, if you're willing to help, please download this new build and let us know how it goes.

To access the experimental branch, follow these steps:
  • In your Steam library, right click on ‘God of War’ and select ‘Properties’
  • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab
  • Change the drop down to ‘experimental’

If you do not see the branch in your drop down, please restart your Steam client.

To switch back to the default branch, follow these steps:
  • In your Steam library, right click on ‘God of War’ and select ‘Properties’
  • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab
  • Change the drop down to ‘none’

Soldato
You heard the man :cool:

New stuff:
12700KF
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming-X
Arctic Freezer II 280mm + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Corsair 5000D Airflow

Using existing stuff off current build:
NVMe - 970 Evo Plus 1TB
SATA - 870 QVO 8TB
32GB Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600MHz
Phanteks AMP 750w
3x Arctic P14 PST, 1x Arctic P12 PST

So long i7 6700K, it's been a solid 5 years for sure.

Edit*

Here's pics of my build!

pc_RTX3080Ti_sideangle_2021.12.18_1404-06_00004.jpg

pc_RTX3080Ti_backangle_.jpg

Checking out the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4: Does DDR5 Matter for Alder Lake?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP

Checking out the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4: Does DDR5 Matter for Alder Lake?

Will be keeping an eye on the next few vids he does as that seemed to be part 1! interesting he saw the power level and RAM quirks too, granted mine are all fixed now simply by adjusting a couple of voltages.

Soldato
Will be keeping an eye on the next few vids he does as that seemed to be part 1! interesting he saw the power level and RAM quirks too, granted mine are all fixed now simply by adjusting a couple of voltages.

It wouldn't surprise me if your VCCSA voltage is set higher if left on AUTO in the BIOS whilst you are running at Gear 1 like I am. Remember the default (Auto) for the Gear mode is Gear 2, I think that is the default for anything over 3200Mhz. I imagine that if you had your memory at that then you might not need to change any voltages.

I changed mine from Gear 2 to 1 and also changed my VCCSA voltage to 1.3v, it would go much higher if left on auto for the 4000Mhz memory I have. I also changed the DRAM voltage from 1.35v to 1.4v.

I remember watching a Buildzoid video of him memory overclocking on a Gigabyte 690 board. From the video you are left with the impression that the Gigabyte board itself might be a little challenging. But he did reply in the comments, not the video itself, that he suspected the IMC on the CPU as he was having issues with that particular chip in an Asus board as well.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I suspect you are right. If I ever go for faster DDR4 then it's something to keep in mind and scale VCCSA accordingly if that is indeed the case although for now, 1.3v and 1.4 on the DDR is the right spot for stability! Not had a single app crash as of yet!

Soldato
Yup, posted this previously....

Sa-Voltage-at-Auto.png

on Auto with Gear 1 and 1.346v for VCCSA.

Now VCCSA is on manual and at 1.3v and that is for my 4000Mhz RAM.

As always it seems that motherboards tend to over volt some settings, when left on default.

Soldato
If it does, with temps, then it is something that I have not thought about to check. With a 420mm AIO mine seems ok with controlling temps. That is with a 12700k at 5.1 and 4Ghz. From what I understand it is thought preferable to keep the VCCSA voltage quite a bit under 1.4v for every day to day use. Perhaps you do not need yours as high, being left on auto.

BUT my stability is now confirmed to using y-cruncher and OCCT and not that of the benchmark Cinebench R23.
By doing that my vcore had to be increased as Cinebench is easier to get stable than the likes of y-cruncher.

Associate
For those with a 12700k/kf under a 360mm AIO, what temps are you getting under idle and 100% load? Repasted mine last night with a new tube of MX5 and it looks like it wasn't seating correctly seeing the pattern on the cooler.

Going to reseat it fully tonight but need a point of reference to go on if possible.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
100% load in what app? Exporting a video with all 20 threads at 100% gives me a CPU temp of no more than 45-50 degrees for example, whilst exporting a batch of photos in Lightroom the temp rises to around 60 degrees or so. All down to the instructionset being used I guess. Cinebench MT run also yields no more than 75 degrees for the CPU. 280mm AIO here with Kryonaut paste.

Back
Top Bottom