New car delays.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It is absolutely crazy. Got a valuation of nearly £10k for my wifes Polo!

Bit of a dilemma as we were given the car by the in laws so we don't want to look like we are 'cashing in', on the other hand it has been driven once in the last two months...
Be honest with them, and offer to buy them something?

Soldato
"Sorry we had an accident and it was written off"... :D
:cry:
Be honest with them, and offer to buy them something?
It would most likely be a false economy and we'd end up having to buy another car in the future. As soon as the spring rolls round and our little one is a few months older I'm sure she'll want to get out and about more than she currently does.

Longer term plan is for me to change jobs therefore losing my company car, I'll commute in the Polo and she can have the bigger family car. It just seems a waste in the short term having a valuable asset sat on the drive not being used.

Soldato
Ordered my wife a 2022 facelift Polo last week, lead time was estimated by one dealer at 32 weeks, and another at between 6 months and a year, possibly less, possibly more (basically it will appear when it appears).

She doesn't need/want it yet, but with the ongoing delays it seemed to make sense to order it now so it "may" appear by the time she does actualy want it!
Placed an order for Skoda Scala at the end of August 21'
delivery date is being pushed ...latest is end of April...that will be 9months...

Associate
Placed an order for Skoda Scala at the end of August 21'
delivery date is being pushed ...latest is end of April...that will be 9months...

Where there any additional items specced that would possibly push it back?

I have no idea if more/less options makes any difference at all with the ongoing semiconductor shortage, but she has only opted for the suspension and stereo upgrades.

Some of the other options were enticing but started to make it get rather expensive and she wouldn't appreciate them anyway. If it turns up earlier she gets her new car quicker, if not hopefully her current one doesn't devalue too much before it does.

Caporegime
Stereo upgrades seem to be one of the big things causing delays for manufacturers.

Both BMW and Mercedes have dropped stereo upgrades from a lot of models due to the problems.

Soldato
Where there any additional items specced that would possibly push it back?

I have no idea if more/less options makes any difference at all with the ongoing semiconductor shortage, but she has only opted for the suspension and stereo upgrades.

Some of the other options were enticing but started to make it get rather expensive and she wouldn't appreciate them anyway. If it turns up earlier she gets her new car quicker, if not hopefully her current one doesn't devalue too much before it does.
Not in my case.
Went with middle spec with no extras....

Soldato
My car has been in a local VW garage since November whilst we await delivery of the new computer module that goes in the glovebox - it’s looks almost exactly like one of the old car stereos things but it manages literally the entire cars brain.

It was due to arrive on December 15th.

It’s now been pushed back to 2nd Feb.

I’m very very close to absolutely loosing my rag because VW keep telling me it will arrive on one date and then completely changing it over and over and over again.

In the mean time I’m driving a poverty spec version of the same car.

Soldato
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/08/business/teslas-computer-chips-supply-chain

“Tesla, born in Silicon Valley, never outsourced their software — they write their own code,” said Morris Cohen, a professor emeritus at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in manufacturing and logistics. “They rewrote the software so they could replace chips in short supply with chips not in short supply. The other carmakers were not able to do that.”
“Tesla controlled its destiny,” Professor Cohen added.

I think they are oversimplifying this - if the chips(mcu) they/Tesla use are not a commodity part then the alternative is not pin compatible and you need to redesign the PCB ?

Soldato
It is absolutely crazy. Got a valuation of nearly £10k for my wifes Polo!

Bit of a dilemma as we were given the car by the in laws so we don't want to look like we are 'cashing in', on the other hand it has been driven once in the last two months...

It was a gift, so do what you want with it. If you feel guilty, treat the in-laws to a posh spa weekend break.

Soldato
maybe bmw are crying wolf too, on product availibility - sorry no touch screens ...

14jan - https://uk.motor1.com/news/560738/bmw-global-sales-record-2021/

In 2021, the BMW brand sold exactly 2,213,795 vehicles globally, which represented an increase of 9.1 percent over the previous year. This result turned last year into the marque’s best-ever sales year. A total of 510,727 vehicles were sold during the final quarter of last year alone.

The United States saw a major jump of 20.8 percent to 336,644 units from all BMW models, which was on par with the pre-coronavirus 2019. Unsurprisingly, BMW’s X lineup accounted for 60 percent of the total sales in the country last year. In Europe, the combined sales of BMW and Mini were up by 3.9 percent. Interestingly, in Belgium, BMW led a country’s total market in Europe for the first time in history.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
maybe bmw are crying wolf too, on product availibility - sorry no touch screens ...

Yup, BMW was the most-sold brand in Belgium. Company car tax means that under 50g co2/km is massively, massively fiscally advantageous and BMW hit it out of the park with their new hybrid & electric cars. It also means prices are mental. BMW were offering only 3% on new cars, and a 1-year-old X5 45e is basically the same price as a new one. Diesel X5s are the usual 10-20% depending on age & spec.

This, coupled with incredibly low interest rates (banks are offering sub-1% for hybrid & electric cars) means the X5 45e is ten a penny.

Audi ****** it up and the Q7 hybrid emits over 50g co2/km (both NEDC & WLTP). This is is effectively taxed like the regular 3.0 TFSI is not selling well (I found 4 for sale - used and new - in the entire country) and I managed 16% discount off list.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I am a bit surprised at the US figures as bizarrely, despite all the X5s being built in the US, they have had the most amounts of options deleted from their cars. But, and its a big but, until this month there has being a $7500 grant applicable to 45e hybrids from the Govt there so makes the 45e cheaper than the x5 40i by some margin so a lot of people have accepted reduced spec in order to get their car within the grant period.

For a month now you cant even order an electronic to hitch on US cars. Thats how bad things have got.

Lots of other things went from the US models like heated and cooled cupholders which you can still spec on a UK car ordered today.

Soldato
Maybe bmw are playing the long game, and, diverting available capacity to the USA say, will give longer term market penetration/gains ? their brand loyalty is less than the uk buyer who will buy back in in future years - after all tiger woods was driving a genesis - haven't seen them on our roads yet.

Caporegime
Maybe bmw are playing the long game, and, diverting available capacity to the USA say, will give longer term market penetration/gains ? their brand loyalty is less than the uk buyer who will buy back in in future years - after all tiger woods was driving a genesis - haven't seen them on our roads yet.

But why cut so many options from the US cars while still allowing UK and EU cars built in the same factory to have these options? Would have made more sense to let the Americans have what few parts they have and limit UK specs.

Soldato
But why cut so many options from the US cars while still allowing UK and EU cars built in the same factory to have these options? Would have made more sense to let the Americans have what few parts they have and limit UK specs.

It's not obvious bmw are still cutting options in the usa -> Touch Screen Option Credit Coming?
and they have been more forthcoming with sweeteners -
is the fleet market as large in the USA company buyers here probably have less manouvering space than a private usa buyer who can easily walk.

Caporegime
It's not obvious bmw are still cutting options in the usa -> Touch Screen Option Credit Coming?
and they have been more forthcoming with sweeteners -
is the fleet market as large in the USA company buyers here probably have less manouvering space than a private usa buyer who can easily walk.

i can only pass comment on the X5 from the X5 forums I have been reading.

For a while US X5 lost the following options over the last year

Tow hitch
massage seats
heated and cooled drink holders
wireless charging
touchscreen
B&W stereo upgrade
HK stereo upgrade
And other stuff.

At the same time UK people could order and get delivered cars from the US factory with all these options available (expect wireless charging)

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725735&page=5

Back
Top Bottom