Do you power off your PC?

Caporegime
Power off over night
Work laptop.. Always on. (faff doing passwords all the time)

Since ssds it isn't really an issue with boot time now

Associate
Okay Google turn off computer - just cuts power, been doing it for years, never click start shutdown.
Okay Google turn on - per BIOS turns on per 'power resume'

Associate
Shutdown and power off at the wall socket.

Though I do have CCTV cameras and a QNAP running these days. Oh and now the OLED TV is left in standby as it's supposed to run a screen burn routine after a certain number of viewing hours.

So what used to be a maximum power saving effort isn't so important.

You not killed any of you psu switching it on and off at the wall whenever you use it

Soldato
Work laptop stays on Monday to Friday but put to “sleep” over night

My gaming pc in the office is shut down and used for a few hours a week

vr/living room pc is always put to “sleep” as it’s on and off during the day a lot.

Associate
Mine stays on as it’s mining when I’m not paying on it. Before mining I would generally shut it down over night as it only gets used in the evenings.

Soldato
Home PC turned off every time I finish using it. Since solid state hard drives, there is hardly any start up delay.

Work lappy off every night. Because it feels like the end of work, now I work from home.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Shut down every time.

With NVME Gen4 storage these days, booting up from cold is less than 20 seconds to windows splash screen, from off.

It's been 15-20 seconds ever since SATA SSDs were a thing anyway really. nothing to so with NVMe!

Just bear in mind that you are still putting initial stresses through various components at first boot up. Which is why drives etc tend to last longer when left constantly on running at a constant temperature.

I have not added up the yearly cost of leaving an efficient PC running all day though but I cannot imagine the cost being significant given the wattage is at most double digits around 20-30 watts for those with higher end GPUs. Most people leave a 60 watt lightbulb on all night for example.

Permabanned
Hella dumb to be leaving a PC on when its doing absolutely nothing especially given the upcoming fuel price hikes.

No, this is what I work hard for, so I don't need to worry about things like that, but I appreciate some people, through no fault of their own, have to watch the pennies. Call it one of my little luxuries, plus I am of the opinion most complex electronic gizmos fail at on / off time rather than left running.

Soldato
Never, three desktop PC's here have run continuously for over a year or so, only being shutdown if there's a problem. Greta eat your heart out.... ;) Several Raspberry Pi's run 24 hours a day, seven days a week,too. Having said that I am looking at a quarterly bill here of over £1100, so there is a downside.

Good, someone exists that has a bill larger than my £860 for a quarter. lol

Back
Top Bottom