• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
He shows the issue at the very start of the video and you can clearly see the texture quality dropping as the mouse is moved around throughout the whole video. You don't need to pause it, you can just watch it and see the quality drop in textures all over the screen whenever the mouse is moved. It matches perfectly what he has in the description. It's not my video though so can't say much more than that, but texture quality does not drop like that on the 6900 XT.

Maybe the developer was on to something when they mentioned this in the patch notes.

PC
  • HD Texture Pack — Some assets appearing blurry
Developer comment: We have made some changes for the HD Texture Pack on PC that should decrease the blurriness that appeared for some players when using the HD Texture Pack. When looking into these reports, we are seeing players using graphics cards with less than 12 GB of VRAM available. When using the HD Texture Pack with less than the minimum required VRAM available, the performance and the look of the game can be worse than without the pack.

What I will say is that this discussion is less interesting to me now that the 12GB version is here, since I know the 6700 XT 12GB could run this game just fine without the texture dropping issue or the separate FPS dropping issue - which was tied to vram saturation at 4K max settings. FPS were well below 60, but there was no visual texture degradation or FPS drop to single digits, other than low FPS and the feeling of FPS being below 60.

I think it's quite funny given all the issues due to not enough VRAM on the 3080 10GB that the '3080' on Nvidia's cloud gaming platform, Geforce NOW, has 24GB of VRAM and you don't have to pay thousands of pounds to get it.
Someone asked for links, only the reason i re-entered the thread to be honest. :)

Soldato
He shows the issue at the very start of the video and you can clearly see the texture quality dropping as the mouse is moved around throughout the whole video. You don't need to pause it, you can just watch it and see the quality drop in textures all over the screen whenever the mouse is moved. It matches perfectly what he has in the description.

What I will say is that this discussion is less interesting to me now that the 12GB version is here, since I know the 6700 XT 12GB could run this game just fine without the texture dropping issue or the separate FPS dropping issue - which was tied to vram saturation at 4K max settings. FPS were well below 60, but there was no visual texture degradation or FPS drop to single digits, other than low FPS and the feeling of FPS being below 60.

Someone asked for links, only the reason i re-entered the thread to be honest. :)
I am a 3080 FE owner and I realised that 10GB could be an issue when I bought it, particularly at 4K, but for £650 in the current crazy market it was a compromise worth making. Geforce NOW is actually quite good, but I do get some packet loss using Sky Broadband which is annoying (as do others with ISPs that use the Openreach infrastructure), I don't know whether this is due to Nvidia's servers or my ISP. If they can resolve this and bring much more of my game library to the platform it may be a viable alternative to local gaming in a few years.

Caporegime
I am a 3080 FE owner and I realised that 10GB could be an issue when I bought it, particularly at 4K, but for £650 in the current crazy market it was a compromise worth making. Geforce NOW is actually quite good, but I do get some packet loss using Sky Broadband which is annoying (as do others with ISPs that use the Openreach infrastructure), I don't whether this is due to Nvidia's servers or my ISP. If they can resolve this and bring much more of my game library to the platform it may be a viable alternative to local gaming in a few years.
People get very tribal over this subject (as can be seen by the emotion on display throughout the discussion). We don't need to get specific, but we all know who they are.

My opinion has never changed. The 3080 was and is still a great card, at a great price point. I'd have got one if they were easily available at RRP. I had a few things I'd have liked to test in a controlled environment. Then I'd have sold it on (at cost) to a needy gamer on the MM, just as i did with a 6800 XT and some 6900 XTs to other respected members here.

Is it enough to run everything maxed out without issues like the ones already documented? No. Is it enough for most things, yes it is. I think most of the sane people in the thread would agree with that. Will that change in the future, perhaps lets wait and see. I'm sure the next game/debate is just around the corner. :cry:

I think Matt has forgotten what video compression is.
I didn't make the video or leave that quote in the description about the texture quality dropping, that was the uploader but I'll ask the user to retest it again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agreed. YouTube compression aside, I watched a couple sequences and didn't notice anything. Would be interesting to see whether DLDSR improves the rough edges in FC6 - it's working really well in RDR2.

Yeah I'm really not seeing the issues in that video, certainly nothing like the low ps 2 like textures, which plagued the game and was even shown in ubi official PR/ad footage :cry:

Good shout on DLDSR, not sure how well it would work in fc 6 though as the TAA in fc 6 is really bad with regards to motion clarity and blurriness, it's why I avoided using FSR when playing at 3440x1440 as it noticeably increased these taa issues. Suppose DLSSR would help with sharpness overall but then it would hit performance hard. FC 6 is desperately crying out more for dlss/dlaa!

A couple of games sponsored by AMD. Just down to poor cache management rather than lack of VRAM.

Which games those? Pretty sure I debunked them, at least if you're referring to godfall, fc 6 and re village :cry:

Ohh dear....

GeForce Now RTX 3080 Cloud Review vs xCloud/Stadia - The Best Streaming Solution?

Even the cloud 3080 known as the A10G has 24GB GDDR6 VRAM...:eek: So does Nvidia think 10GB is really enough, while their 3080 parts for their cloud service have 24GB VRAM ?:confused:

BQb0Fza.jpg

ohh yes these need adding ..

One for @TNA

W3tbW.gif

and

One for @Nexus18

giphy.gif

:cry:

He shows the issue at the very start of the video and you can clearly see the texture quality dropping as the mouse is moved around throughout the whole video. You don't need to pause it, you can just watch it and see the quality drop in textures all over the screen whenever the mouse is moved. It matches perfectly what he has in the description. It's not my video though so can't say much more than that, but texture quality does not drop like that on the 6900 XT.

Maybe the developer was on to something when they mentioned this in the patch notes.

I'm still not seeing it??? Other than the LOD loading in as you get closer to said objects/areas or if you were to quickly spin around, it looks to be working much the same as any gpu out there with more vram

e.g. @28.57, you can see the game world load in more higher res. textures and detail as he move closer to said objects/area especially with the roads (although I believe that was/is an issue with anisotropic filtering for road assets)

And as mentioned at the top of my post, it could be down to TAA i.e. see this example from halo infinite:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/comments/rf7mkn/heres_an_excellent_example_of_the_horrendus_taa/

Also, where are the guys settings too? Has he got things like CAS, motion blur, CA etc. turned on

People get very tribal over this subject (as can be seen by the emotion on display throughout the discussion). We don't need to get specific, but we all know who they are.

My opinion has never changed. The 3080 was and is still a great card, at a great price point. I'd have got one if they were easily available at RRP. I had a few things I'd have liked to test in a controlled environment. Then I'd have sold it on (at cost) to a needy gamer on the MM, just as i did with a 6800 XT and some 6900 XTs to other respected members here.

Is it enough to run everything maxed out without issue some issues like the ones already documented? No. Is it enough for most things, yes it is. I think most of the sane people in the thread would agree with that. Will that change in the future, perhaps lets wait and see. I'm sure the next game/debate is just around the corner. :cry:

Not sure why you keep saying about people getting emotionally or personally involved etc., it's about facts and evidence, nothing else, one side posts plenty of evidence to back up their points, meanwhile the other doesn't or/and grasps at straws (if you can even call it that...) and plenty of people are starting to notice the lack of any real substance/content behind such claims.

Also, who has said this "run everything maxed out without issue some issues like the ones already documented"? I don't think anyone has, now to be more specific, the claims being made are:

- no settings have had to be turned down because of vram "only" issues

Where as:

- settings have had to be turned down because of the lack of "grunt", same way even 3090/6900xt have had to turn down settings because all that extra vram didn't provide the grunt required

Soldato
My old mucker @tommybhoy has a 3080 now too, so I am sure he will let us know if he experiences any issues at 4K max settings in Far Cry 6 or other games, just as he did with the 3070. :)

Good to read. Some of us already know the answer though :D. If they are releasing 12GB variants this late in their product cycle I have to wonder what the vram will be for the 40 series? Will they limit the 4080 to just 12GB for example? Time will tell.

Associate
Good to read. Some of us already know the answer though :D. If they are releasing 12GB variants this late in their product cycle I have to wonder what the vram will be for the 40 series? Will they limit the 4080 to just 12GB for example? Time will tell.

Will likely depend on where we are with the chip shortage.

Soldato

They may create a 4080 family as they did with the 3080 .. 10GB version and 12GB version again or start with 12GB then add one more with more VRAM if people complain again or will just end up a regular super update same VRAM more cores... Who knows with Nvidia these days.

Soldato
Will likely depend on where we are with the chip shortage.

They may create a 4080 family as they did with the 3080 .. 10GB version and 12GB version again or start with 12GB then add one more with more VRAM if people complain again or will just end up a regular super update same VRAM more cores... Who knows with Nvidia these days.

At a guess I would assume they've outlined their product stack already. IMO, something similiar to their 30 series at a higher price point. I also read something about a new power connector indicating a higher power target. IMO, this indicates they are finally going back to having a hardware scheduler. And that's were they could finally release their new UI drivers (heard about that a few years ago). If that happens the 20/30 series would see a very quick EOL cycle. But it's all speculative. ;)

It's possible we could see 12/24 vram configurations for their high end. But I don't discount 10/20 vram configurations either. They could repeat what they did with the 30 series by gimping vram on what they call their "flagship" gpu to only revert those changes later on in the product life cycle do to marketing optics.

If there was real competition in this GPU market their 320 bit bus skus would be for the mid-low range and 192 bit bus for the low-ultra low end. But I don't see that happening.
:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Reached out to the guy on YouTubes, since a few were claiming the video 'looked fine'. Honestly not sure how they came to that conclusion, especially as it turned out he was not running the patch in that video. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. :p

Nonetheless, I asked him to retest it (original video was not maximum settings either and still had the issue), 4K Max Settings, RT+HD Texture on etc and upload a video. He came back with this, hopefully a video to follow.
8BR4ojy.png

@tommybhoy - Sounds like a similar issue you were having with the 3080 when you tried this too doesn't it?

Soldato
Reached out to the guy on YouTubes, since a few were claiming the video 'looked fine'. Honestly not sure how they came to that conclusion, especially as it turned out he was not running the patch in that video. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. :p

Nonetheless, I asked him to retest it (original video was not maximum settings either and still had the issue), 4K Max Settings, RT+HD Texture on etc and upload a video. He came back with this, hopefully a video to follow.
8BR4ojy.png

@tommybhoy - Sounds like a similar issue you were having with the 3080 when you tried this too doesn't it?
Ahhh, this thread delivers!!! Nom-nom-nom-nom :cry:

Caporegime
Buying a 6800xt to finish FC6 with max settings? Makes sense. :)
Doubt he will do that just a rant, all his videos are of his 3080 running various games. :)
Ahhh, this thread delivers!!! Nom-nom-nom-nom :cry:
It will be debunked shortly, don't worry. Even the tech press (that used max settings + HD Textures and cited issues) and game developers who made the game were debunked. Now users with 3080s will be debunked, the cycle continues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doubt he will do that just a rant, all his videos are of his 3080 running various games. :)

It will be debunked shortly, don't worry. Even the tech press (that used max settings + HD Textures and cited issues) and game developers who made the game were debunked. Now users with 3080s will be debunked, the cycle continues.
Popcorn.gif
What dastardly deed will you commit now? Stay tuned!

But in all honesty this was already discussed in the Far Cry 6 thread. I'm confused as to why it's "new". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom