Microsoft acquire Activision

Soldato
I can't see online shooters like COD or Overwatch becoming Xbox exclusive. Those games make far too much from micro transactions, they made $1.2 billion in 3 months in Q3 2021.

Man of Honour
Scrapping consoles for PC is getting more attractive for me. Minus the shoddy ports. Not that I've played an Activision game in over 10 years but the general studio monopoly game going on makes me just want to have the most 'access' for the fewer devices.

This is the ideal situation as MS then avoid making a loss on the console sale and likely also gain a Windows license purchase.

Soldato
interesting news.

Could MS use games sales on other platforms to essentially subsidise game pass?

I fully expect the cost of gamepass to increase and let’s face it, even if it does it’s still likely to present outstanding value for money.

Activision is a long standing big name in publishing so this is a huge announcement.

in terms of IP - I’d love to see something special done with Tenchu!! :p

Associate
I can't see online shooters like COD or Overwatch becoming Xbox exclusive. Those games make far too much from micro transactions, they made $1.2 billion in 3 months in Q3 2021.

CoD on PlayStation is absolutely huge, I can't see them cutting off that market entirely. They may give them a short exclusive period on releases and content updates though.

Soldato
interestingly EA is a smaller company than Activision/Blizzard

i know that this deal will leave Microsofts wallet pretty empty but could they be tempted to offer a quick 40 billion for EA and knock Sony out cold?

Caporegime
That good, I need to get another 3 years of cheap GamePass Ultimate in May. Hopefully the price doesn't increase before then :)
With this acquisition I think I would pay the full price even if the offers are not available when I come to renew. Previously I would not say it's a service I would pay circa 120 a year for, however the sheer volume of content on offer after this deal completes the deal for me.

I would probably go as far as 12.99 a month, when the eventual price increase comes :p

rp2000

Caporegime
CoD on PlayStation is absolutely huge, I can't see them cutting off that market entirely. They may give them a short exclusive period on releases and content updates though.
which is nothing Sony haven't paid Acti Blizz for in the past. In fact I seem to remember them paying for a whole years exclusivity on some DLC or game mode or something on previous COD games. They could keep the cycle going but release the year old CoD on PS and the new one on XB and PC every year.

Gux

Gux

Associate
I think overall this is bad for the gaming industry. Really don't like the idea of anyone buying 3rd party publishers & making them exclusive to one brand. Sony & Ninendo will respond with their own acquisitions & a bunch of multi platform games will now become exclusives, forcing everyone to buy multiple devices.

Also is there even a business case for any studio wishing to make a FPS game & sell it on Xbox? With COD & Doom being day 1 on game pass, this will completely kill any 3rd party FPS shooters.

At least before you could somewhat compete on price. Now with these games being on game pass & the full power of Xbox marketing pushing these games forward, any 3rd party FPS games are DOA. We're only going to be getting smaller budget games which could recoup the cost on PlayStation/PC. Days of AAA 3rd party FPS games are over.

Man of Honour
RIP sony?

No, but it’s a decent blow. I’d still say the Sony exclusives I’ve played are far above anything Microsoft has acquired, but Microsoft has sheer volume of decent IPs now which is ideal for game pass. I mean it’s early days and they are already reported to be making 300 million plus a month from game pass.

Soldato
I don't think they will make those games Xbox Exclusives, but even things like feature exclusive will shift a lot of players to xbox. Whilst still reaping in all the sales for the release in Playstation. Can you imagine Ultimate Teams is an Xbox Exclusive ?
Yes they make way to much money on MTX and sales to take them exclusive. Plus they would be handing their PS market share to E.A and Battlefield.

Soldato
which is nothing Sony haven't paid Acti Blizz for in the past. In fact I seem to remember them paying for a whole years exclusivity on some DLC or game mode or something on previous COD games. They could keep the cycle going but release the year old CoD on PS and the new one on XB and PC every year.

Ain't no body buying a year old CoD it's a yearly disposable game like FIFA. I'd be very surprised if they take it exclusive as they would lose billions in MTX and sales.

Associate
There’s no way they will be Xbox exclusives. I think cross platform gaming and increasing revenue on rival hardware is the only way these buys make sense. How else are they going to pay for it? Game pass?

The new consoles aren’t able to sell in anything like decent numbers, I can’t see game pass being cheap for much longer.

I agree with this - or they will have to put a large increase on the price of Gamepass or add in another (higher) tier. It makes no sense to pay that money and then give the content away virtually free. Surprised so many seem to think Gamepass will stay as it is - just with loads of new day one releases thrown in.

Caporegime
Ain't no body buying a year old CoD it's a yearly disposable game like FIFA. I'd be very surprised if they take it exclusive as they would lose billions in MTX and sales.
That depends on how much MS want to try and push Xbox sales compared to income from PS CoD sales. I'd certainly imagine that DLC will come to Xbox first, possibly for weeks if not months.

Soldato
Game Pass will get an increase in cost at some stage its a given, People thought Bethesda games wouldn't be exclusives when that got announced yet they are, If Microsoft want to keep COD for xbox or any others they can. If any Sony just need to hurry up with something thats gonna compete with Game Pass, like others I prefer Sony exclusives compared to Microsoft offerings however I think they way that game pass works is generally how gaming is going to be in the future subscription based weather we like it or not.

PS Now isnt on the same level before some one says Sony have that

Back
Top Bottom