Something bigger?

Soldato
The better half is ready to get rid of her Mini at last (not that its a bad car but we are getting to the point with a child now that we need a car we can fit things in, and with her getting rid of her car it means I can keep my 640.) Annoyingly the 640 is by no means a small car but being 3 door and the rear seats not folding down it means we need to look at a "family car". This is a car I'll end up driving too so I'm invested to make sure its a decent one.

We've had a sit down and are torn between a SUV and an estate car. I like the idea of a larger car as it will be something a bit different to drive. I've seen a couple of SQ5's which I might go a look at and there's always the option of a 530 or 535 Touring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as its a bit a of a blank slate at the moment.

Not too fussed on either diesel or petrol.

Budget around £25K

Cheers

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I was always anti-SUV and was adamant that an estate car suffices, but after having just bought a Q7 I can't say it's not a massive step up over my old A6, or indeed the current A6.
Granted, it's a price class above, but the extra space, especially headroom and legroom in the rear, is impressive. Although the kids almost fall out when they get out, they can buckle themselves in and it's just so much more airy.

I found the Q5 a little small inside, especially in the rear and boot. Between that and a 5 Touring, I'd take the BMW. However, SUVs are higher and will therefore make life easier when loading the kids. Boot will be smaller than the 5 though.
I suggest you drive both and see what you prefer. The X3 is not a bad car either.

Associate
I personally think an estate car or a large hatch back is more than sufficient for a family car. I certainly can see the appeal of the SUV, that much i am considering one for my next car. The over all space in the cabin and so on.
When it come down to myself deciding, when ever that maybe, it will mostly like come down to running costs. As everyone I know who are running SUV’s, have all commented on how much more they cost to service and repair.
When it comes to it, my list of SUV will be something like, XC90 we have one at work really enjoy driving it. Touareg or Q7.

Man of Honour
SUV vs estate is going to be highly subjective. Personally I like the higher up position and general more roomy perception (though some SUVs make hideously poor use of the space potential).

Man of Honour
For me the Estate vs SUV debate comes down to whether you want the elevated seating of an SUV or the big boot (relative to overall footprint) of an Estate, plus of course cosmetics. So if the primary reason for change is carting around prams and over paraphernalia for young kids, whilst giving the wife a car that isn't "too huge", an Estate really comes in to it's own. If that's less of an issue and you think ease of access to car seats for getting them strapped in etc if more of a factor, an SUV could work.

Typically, Estate cars are cheaper i.e. £25k will get you a newer car for the same load carrying capacity, in fact given the prices of used cars these days it is approaching the sort of level where buying brand new might make sense on the Estate side of things (e.g. Octavia Estate in a reasonable trim level comes in at that level after discounts).

Soldato
OP
For me the Estate vs SUV debate comes down to whether you want the elevated seating of an SUV or the big boot (relative to overall footprint) of an Estate, plus of course cosmetics. So if the primary reason for change is carting around prams and over paraphernalia for young kids, whilst giving the wife a car that isn't "too huge", an Estate really comes in to it's own. If that's less of an issue and you think ease of access to car seats for getting them strapped in etc if more of a factor, an SUV could work.

Your absolutely right about the elevated seating position. I like to be lower down but the Mrs is not very big so she's inclined to go with an SUV although I'm happy with either. At the end of the day its her daily driver. She test drove an SQ5 today and really enjoyed it. I'm going to find her a 530/5 Touring to test before she makes her decision on car type. She loves driving my car so she might like that as its basically my car with an estate boot attached.

Man of Honour
Especially with many of the crossovers not a fan of these SUVs for SUVs sake cashing in on the trend.

Only worth it IMO in the cases where it is actually a proper SUV based off a truck chassis with refinement so you actually have a heavy duty vehicle which is a good all-purpose compromise proposition or the ones which actually make use of the format to take advantage of what it offers to build a family friendly vehicle from the ground up - not just a regular car on stilts with often less useful space, less refined ride, than the regular version/estate.

Soldato
Especially with many of the crossovers not a fan of these SUVs for SUVs sake cashing in on the trend.

Only worth it IMO in the cases where it is actually a proper SUV based off a truck chassis with refinement so you actually have a heavy duty vehicle which is a good all-purpose compromise proposition or the ones which actually make use of the format to take advantage of what it offers to build a family friendly vehicle from the ground up - not just a regular car on stilts with often less useful space, less refined ride, than the regular version/estate.

Why does it have to be 'proper'? Nobody wants to take these things off road. They don't need 4wd or any kind of capability like that. Fact of the matter is that most people seem to prefer the taller nature of them because its easier to get in and out for a lot of people. It's easier to load kids in and out of child seats in the back without having to bend down. They like the better visibility and the commanding feeling of the higher driving position. None of this has anything to do with a proper truck chassis.

Man of Honour
Why does it have to be 'proper'? Nobody wants to take these things off road. They don't need 4wd or any kind of capability like that. Fact of the matter is that most people seem to prefer the taller nature of them because its easier to get in and out for a lot of people. It's easier to load kids in and out of child seats in the back without having to bend down. They like the better visibility and the commanding feeling of the higher driving position. None of this has anything to do with a proper truck chassis.

I take it you didn't actually read my post.

Soldato
Having a seven seater big square hatchback that you can put the seats down to make bigger is really handy for tip runs/furniture/family days out etc. You might get away with a Focus estate sized car though if you don't want the full soccer mom experience. We used to have an estate Megane and although horrid to drive you could fit loads in it.

Man of Honour
I get the gist, if it's not a navara then it's junk...

Ultimately for a family vehicle an MPV is going to be more practical and spacious than an SUV/crossover but they just aren't fashionable.

Do I need to highlight the or in there after which I covered precisely the point you mentioned?

We used to use a Sharan or Galaxy for summer holidays in the second half of the 90s - not really sure why they fell out of favour as difficult to beat for a family vehicle. I remember my dad nearly put the 2.8 Galaxy in a hedge first time he drove it as he was used to the 1.9 TDI Sharan.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having a seven seater big square hatchback that you can put the seats down to make bigger is really handy for tip runs/furniture/family days out etc. You might get away with a Focus estate sized car though if you don't want the full soccer mom experience. We used to have an estate Megane and although horrid to drive you could fit loads in it.

My parents use the VW Touran for that - reasonably compact, good ride height though not an SUV, versatile in terms or my dad can do tip runs, etc. my mum can use it to pickup/drop off family from the airport, etc. when you need 7 seats.

Even on the roads out here which are far from great it is still averaging 50 MPG as well.

Soldato
Honda CR-V?

All three rear seats have the fittings for child seats and they have an insane amount of room inside with the rear seats folded down.

Warning: They are very dull to drive as everything just does what it should without any dramas.

I loved my ‘17 plate SX Navi 2WD with the 1.6 Diesel engine, but the steering wheel was on the wrong side for France.

Back
Top Bottom