Access for Buses, Taxis, Disabled Parking and Cyclists only.

Associate
I had a rather interesting debate with a parking warden on a high street last week which I'm a bit confused on the legitimacy. This road has access at 2 ends and no side roads etc come off it. It has a strip of disabled parking, bus stops and a taxi rank.

I'm more interested in how they can enforce this. There's no ANPR cameras, and in my opinion ANPR wouldn't work here anyway because you have normal vehicles accessing the street to get Disabled parking. So they're not going to fine every single person accessing for the disabled parking then make them dispute it.

Bit of extra information I found in the consulation documents the local police force have determined they're not responsible for enforcing this new restriction and its completely council related.

What's people's thoughts? Personally I think it's a brilliant bit of road to cut out most of the traffic in the town.

Screenshot-2022-01-18-185235.png

Soldato
I had a rather interesting debate with a parking warden on a high street last week which I'm a bit confused on the legitimacy.

You've not explained what your argument was.
Is it that you don't think this rule applies because you can't understand how it would be enforced?

Associate
OP
You've not explained what your argument was.
Is it that you don't think this rule applies because you can't understand how it would be enforced?

No what my point to the gentleman was is that how are the council going to fine people? When there seemingly is no possible way to prove A. Who was driving B. Whether they're accessing disabled parking.

Soldato
No what my point to the gentleman was is that how are the council going to fine people?

Ok, now we've got one side of the 'interesting debate'. What was the other side? What did the gentleman say and why were you confused on the legitimacy of it?

I'd guess the answer here is that if you want a statement from the council on their policy around enforcing traffic regulations then you should ask your council roads department rather than a random parking warden.

Soldato
What does it matter.

Not all parking areas which claim to be enforced actually have any enforcement.

However should enough people take the **** they will actually arrange enforcement and you will have zero legs to stand on.

Commissario
They don't need to use ANPR to enforce it.
The sign tells you who can go past it, anyone else is fair game for the traffic wardens and police with very little in the way of a defence.

I suspect if the area gets a reputation for traffic wardens popping out at random several times a day it'll soon discourage most of the chancers.

Our town centre recently went "access only" meaning that the nearest disabled spots to several of the pharmacies are now 150 metres away if disabled people aren't included in the "access" group (there are still several disabled spots directly outside the pharmacies but the entry to the centre states access only...), as that puts them outside the range the government starts to consider means that you're fully capable of walking.

Soldato
They don't need to use ANPR to enforce it.
The sign tells you who can go past it, anyone else is fair game for the traffic wardens and police with very little in the way of a defence.

I suspect if the area gets a reputation for traffic wardens popping out at random several times a day it'll soon discourage most of the chancers.

Our town centre recently went "access only" meaning that the nearest disabled spots to several of the pharmacies are now 150 metres away if disabled people aren't included in the "access" group (there are still several disabled spots directly outside the pharmacies but the entry to the centre states access only...), as that puts them outside the range the government starts to consider means that you're fully capable of walking.

"Access Only" tends to mean those needing to use the facilities within the zone. Disabled badge holders would qualify as they're accessing the disabled parking.

On topic:

The government is making large sums of money available to councils to encourage "active travel" (walking/cycling) within city/town centres. The issue being is that there's only a small window to claim the cash and it must be spent almost immediately which is leading councils to make absolutely moronic decisions.
Here in Sheffield the council decided to use it to close a limited access road (buses and taxis) permanantly which now means that 24 bus services that used to use the road have had to be diverted. Because of the infernal one-way systems of the city the nearest stop is now 1/4 mile away downhill. Many elderly and disabled used those services to access the businesses at the top of the hill, where this road is located. Initially the council claimed the closure was a 'temporary measure to allow social distancing' but now claims it's part of the active travel program.

Soldato
"Access Only" tends to mean those needing to use the facilities within the zone. Disabled badge holders would qualify as they're accessing the disabled parking.

On topic:

The government is making large sums of money available to councils to encourage "active travel" (walking/cycling) within city/town centres. The issue being is that there's only a small window to claim the cash and it must be spent almost immediately which is leading councils to make absolutely moronic decisions.
Here in Sheffield the council decided to use it to close a limited access road (buses and taxis) permanantly which now means that 24 bus services that used to use the road have had to be diverted. Because of the infernal one-way systems of the city the nearest stop is now 1/4 mile away downhill. Many elderly and disabled used those services to access the businesses at the top of the hill, where this road is located. Initially the council claimed the closure was a 'temporary measure to allow social distancing' but now claims it's part of the active travel program.
That explains Hull City centre then:cry:. Changing roads for dc to sc and a massive bike lane (not anyone in Hull actually owns a bike:p).

Back
Top Bottom