Microsoft acquire Activision

Soldato
Game Pass will get an increase in cost at some stage its a given, People thought Bethesda games wouldn't be exclusives when that got announced yet they are, If Microsoft want to keep COD for xbox or any others they can. If any Sony just need to hurry up with something thats gonna compete with Game Pass, like others I prefer Sony exclusives compared to Microsoft offerings however I think they way that game pass works is generally how gaming is going to be in the future subscription based weather we like it or not.

PS Now isnt on the same level before some one says Sony have that
Does it though in the short medium term? When you have a near monopoly in the PC sector and the resulting wealth they can afford to throw money at it along time.

Soldato
I can't believe no one has mentioned Candy Crush Saga... :o That's some money printing right there. lol!

With regards to the rest, huge for MS not so much for Sony and gamers in general. I also didn't realise how huge MS were until some googling earlier. But the biggest shock for me was Roblox, over 45 billion. :eek:

Associate
Steam made the right move working on Linux gaming because MS would’ve likely screwed them over given their current push with gaming.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if this runs into some regulatory issues. There is already talk about breaking up big tech or limiting it growth. Microsoft going all in on the biggest entertainment, by revenue, will surely raise some eyebrows.

Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if this runs into some regulatory issues. There is already talk about breaking up big tech or limiting it growth. Microsoft going all in on the biggest entertainment, by revenue, will surely raise some eyebrows.
Maybe if they try buy EA as well as then they own what most class as the big 3.

Soldato
Ea would make most sense to go for for fifa alone, they would then get the billions ultimate team makes from micro transactions.

But like above I suspect this would put them on gov radar of some sort.

Square Enix being bought by Sony I can see more likely than Microsoft however whilst Sony have money its nothing close to Microsoft level

Associate
Did they? Linux gaming has never taken off and probably never will. Linux isn't used by the main stream users

They've been building SteamOS on top of Arch Linux, which is what will be powering the Steam Deck. Linux gaming has improved significantly over the last year or 2 so there is potential. If all of my games worked on Linux, there would be little reason to stay on Windows - for me at least.

Soldato
With this acquisition I think I would pay the full price even if the offers are not available when I come to renew. Previously I would not say it's a service I would pay circa 120 a year for, however the sheer volume of content on offer after this deal completes the deal for me.

I would probably go as far as 12.99 a month, when the eventual price increase comes :p

rp2000

I'll stick with the discounted 3 years GPU again if it still works in May. But it is worth buying anyway with the amount of content included, especially when the new acquisitions start releasing new games.

Personally i'd like them to buy Saber Interactive (Snowrunner) and Milestone srl (Ride, MotoGP etc..), but they are both part of Embracer Group and that would be another huge purchase.

Man of Honour
It’s interesting; massive takeover for Microsoft but as folk are saying still “only’ moves them into 3rd place.

They’re in a position where they could continue to release games on PS/Nintendo while still keeping the advantage of making them free to Game Pass users on Microsoft consoles.

That said Sony must be thinking about some kind of “retaliation” for this and the previous Bethesda takeover; surely Rockstar has to be up for grabs? GTA as an exclusive to one console would be a massive draw potentially; probably more than almost any other game.

Caporegime
It’s interesting; massive takeover for Microsoft but as folk are saying still “only’ moves them into 3rd place.

They’re in a position where they could continue to release games on PS/Nintendo while still keeping the advantage of making them free to Game Pass users on Microsoft consoles.

That said Sony must be thinking about some kind of “retaliation” for this and the previous Bethesda takeover; surely Rockstar has to be up for grabs? GTA as an exclusive to one console would be a massive draw potentially; probably more than almost any other game.

Rockstar is own by Take 2, who just spent $12billion last week buying another company. I suspect to buy Take 2 will take a number in excess of $100bil+

Soldato
I can’t see Linux gaming being anything other than a niche side project until a few things radically change. Most enthusiasts grossly overestimate the knowledge, ability and will of the general gamer when it comes to getting this stuff working.

I expect most steam deck users to just play the fully compatible games value has done the development work for or to get frustrated and put windows on it.

Associate
I can’t see Linux gaming being anything other than a niche side project until a few things radically change. Most enthusiasts grossly overestimate the knowledge, ability and will of the general gamer when it comes to getting this stuff working.

I expect most steam deck users to just play the fully compatible games value has done the development work for or to get frustrated and put windows on it.

Considering we're only a year and a bit into this journey, it's way too soon to say. The Linux desktop experience has come a long and is easily used by individuals with basic knowledge.

Wait until Windows becomes a subscription model.

Soldato
Considering we're only a year and a bit into this journey, it's way too soon to say. The Linux desktop experience has come a long and is easily used by individuals with basic knowledge.

Wait until Windows becomes a subscription model.

You’ve got to be joking right? :p

I don’t disagree it’s come a long way, it’s not even close to being ready for the mass market. Easily used with basic knowledge, that’s a good one :cry:

You can’t really make the case that it’s only been a year, people have been trying to game in linux as long as I can remember. Even Valve/Steam tried (and failed) to launch a Linux gaming computer in 2014, 8 years ago!

Soldato
You’ve got to be joking right? :p

I don’t disagree it’s come a long way, it’s not even close to being ready for the mass market. Easily used with basic knowledge, that’s a good one :cry:

You can’t really make the case that it’s only been a year, people have been trying to game in linux as long as I can remember. Even Valve/Steam tried (and failed) to launch a Linux gaming computer in 2014, 8 years ago!
Thats down to the developers though.

Download steam on linux right now and boot up tomb raider and it works just like that mate.

btw tomb raider works natively on linux fyi

Back
Top Bottom