Nightmare Begins.

Man of Honour
Yesterday i Recieved a text and email from my old car insurance stating a claim has just been made against you from an incident back in April 2021(10 months ago). Apparently somone called John driving my car mounted the curb and ran over the foot of the claimant.

Which is complete lies.

My car at the time was not working head gasket or valve gone and been parked on the drive for a few months while contemplating wether to get it fixed, low funds. 2 months ago i sold the car to a local recovery as scrap.

My insurance company said that do i have any evidence its was on the drive , but how do I prove that , no pics or videos.

I'm totally frustrated that people will try to scam you.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
Surely its up to the one making the claim to provide evidence lol

How can they expect you to have evidence. Do they expect people to take constant photos of their car to show where it is?

If its on the policy holder to provide evidence of innocence then anyone could claim anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was it SORN?

Bank statements showing you didn’t buy fuel? Or showing where you were at the time of the supposed time it happened? Anything else that might prove your location?

Record of mileage from vehicle from the last MOT to when it was scrapped? Or a 2nd MOT after the supposed event occurred?

GPS record from your phone showing you were never in that location? Google maps may have recorded all your locations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh dear, i dont know what you should do but i would seek legal advice from an expert.

False claims are very common, the fact it was 10 months ago shows it is an obvious scam, the time delay taking advantage of the system to try and make sure you would probably have deleted any record of dashcam footage from a memory car or whatever i would have thought.

People do it to businesses and the Councils, they wait until dashcam is likely deleted so it is harder to rubbish their claims.

Man of Honour
OP
Was it SORN?

Bank statements showing you didn’t buy fuel?

Record of mileage from vehicle from the last MOT to when it was scrapped? Or a 2nd MOT after the supposed event occurred?

GPS record from your phone showing you were never in that location? Google maps may have recorded all your locations.
Yes it was sorn .

This is another worry because it was declared off road.

Got legal cover?

Probably best to speak to a solicitor before making any mistakes from the off.
Yes threw the insurance .

Soldato
Yeah if it was me, I'd be looking to speak to somebody (solicitor or some sort of professional advice) before saying too much, even if you're completely innocent (and I have no reason to think otherwise) you don't want to accidentally make the situation worse by saying the wrong thing. Especially when scammers are involved, as they'll likely know all the little tricks that can be played.

Soldato
Yes it was sorn .

This is another worry because it was declared off road.

Yes threw the insurance .
Being SORN should help prove it was not road worthy. Couple that with some other evidence like mileage, no fuel being bought and proof of your location at the time will help. +1 on others recommendation of a solicitor. Good luck!

Associate
My phone logs absolutely everywhere i go with date and time and keeps the data for years it would seem, if your phone does this too, could you use this data to prove you weren't there ?

Soldato
Got legal cover?

Probably best to speak to a solicitor before making any mistakes from the off.

This. And dependent on what they say maybe also report to police although suspect they won't care at this stage.

I'm sure the insurance company will seek further action if proven to be fraudulent.

Caporegime
You sure someone hasnt just got a registration plate wrong somewhere down the line?

What evidence do they have that it was your car?

Man of Honour
If it was SORN then, had you driven it any great distance, you would very likely have picked up a fine from the DVLA from ANPR. Maybe suggest to your insurance company that they contact the DVLA and enquire whether any fines were issued (which I assume were not) - more evidence you didn't drive it.

Man of Honour
OP
If it was SORN then, had you driven it any great distance, you would very likely have picked up a fine from the DVLA from ANPR. Maybe suggest to your insurance company that they contact the DVLA and enquire whether any fines were issued (which I assume were not) - more evidence you didn't drive it.
Tx.

Back
Top Bottom