Issues with sons new build

Soldato
My son got a load of new hardware for Christmas from his Mum (motherboard is B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 Rev 1.0). It's been built but was unstable, crashed and then didn't boot (never got the full story). I've since taken it off him and had a look.

It said not finding boot device. I reset BIOS to standard then tried to install Windows, the install process crashed with Win10 after selecting the version to install and Win11 before showing anything. Screen just goes blank, lights go off mouse and keyboard and fans keeps spinning.
I noticed the BIOS was out of date so tried to update via QFLASH (END key on boot). I left it running and when i came back to it, it was in the same crashed state as above and since then won't even load the BIOS. Oddly holding the power button down no longer turns it off either so need to do using the PSU switch.
The motherboard has QFLASH Plus, so following that process i get to the point when i insert the USB stick and press the QFLASH boot button next to it. The LED starts flashing which is supposed to indicate that it's flashing and eventually the LED goes off which is supposed to indicate it has completed but it just appears to be in the same crashed state.

Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?

Man of Honour
Hate asking the obvious but did you follow the correct procedure flashing the bios, like formating the drive in fat 32, renaming bios file ?

Have you tried a diffrent usb drive ?

Soldato
OP
It's fat32 and named gigabyte.bin. I plugged it into the USB port closest to the QFLASH button on the back. I know that stick works but will try another one shortly.

Man of Honour
It's fat32 and named gigabyte.bin. I plugged it into the USB port closest to the QFLASH button on the back. I know that stick works but will try another one shortly.
On some sites it says name it GIGABYTE.bin so Gigabyte is in capitols and bin lower case.

Not sure if it makes a diffrence.

Last edited:
Associate
The LED starts flashing which is supposed to indicate that it's flashing and eventually the LED goes off which is supposed to indicate it has completed
does it work for quite a while? 5-30 minutes?
then the update process works as it should. Which is good, cause who knows what state it could have ended up after initial crash on bios update...
(filename case should not make a difference, FAT32 is case insensitive)

I would repeat the qflash plus on bare minimum config, just motherboard and PSU. No memory, no GPU, no CPU, no storage.

And when its finished, you are sure motherboard is not the suspect, it'll be one of the other items that caused the initial instability.
Probably RAM, maybe CPU, less likely PSU/GPU/storage.

Soldato
OP
I did try it with the M.2 drive removed earlier and it didn't make any difference. I did notice i kept getting electric shocks when turning it on and removing USB drive last couple of tries.

Back
Top Bottom